FIFA Corruption

islingtonclaret

Anyone else had the thought that this will be used to get a winter break in the PL every season?

Good point.

The winter break in which clubs will jet over the other side of the world to play lucrative friendlies against each other. 

• Like 2

The PL may find there's more money in keeping going than in stopping the league. How many of their broadcasters will be showing the World Cup? Since in most countries, the World Cup is on free TV and the PL is on pay TV, there's not going to be a conflict. But the pay TV broadcasters will still need content, because they need to keep subscriptions ticking over. The biggest clubs will want to stop, but do they get the votes to make the PL take a break? Remember, it's one club, one vote.

The PL might divide the clubs into two blocks of 10 and only have games within one block each round, so there'd only be half as many games as usual, but I don't see them taking a break.

I really cant see any clubs at any level in England be willing to play competitive fixtures with their best players missing

The PL may find there's more money in keeping going than in stopping the league. How many of their broadcasters will be showing the World Cup? Since in most countries, the World Cup is on free TV and the PL is on pay TV, there's not going to be a conflict. But the pay TV broadcasters will still need content, because they need to keep subscriptions ticking over. The biggest clubs will want to stop, but do they get the votes to make the PL take a break? Remember, it's one club, one vote.

The PL might divide the clubs into two blocks of 10 and only have games within one block each round, so there'd only be half as many games as usual, but I don't see them taking a break.

Except there won't be less football shown. There will still be a 38 game season.

Edit - If anything this is good for even those broadcasters not able to show the world cup. The season will run from July until June with a month break in between, how many people are likely to put their subscription on hold for those shorter periods? 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

I really cant see any clubs at any level in England be willing to play competitive fixtures with their best players missing

At any level? How many players did we have go to the World Cup? Guzan, Vlaar, Senderos and Benteke would've gone if he'd been fit. So that's four. How many players is your average League One team missing?

I truly believe this plan is going to lead to some fairly big problems for FIFA, especially around sponsorship and TV viewing figures. European, North American and South American viewing figures will be way way down with a final played two days before Christmas. 

Except there won't be less football shown. There will still be a 38 game season.

Levi can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he's talking about an amount of games per month. American pay TV is often sold in monthly subscriptions (I believe). 

Levi can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he's talking about an amount of games per month. American pay TV is often sold in monthly subscriptions (I believe). 

It's the same in the UK. There will still be the same amount of games and the same amount of months. In the case of rolling subscriptions I refer to my edit. 

FIFA won't let the leagues continue during the World Cup, I don't think it's as bad as the Olympics which tries to ban all sport while they're on but iirc no domestic leagues can take place during a World Cup, league 1/2 will fall under that rule too which will be interesting

you cant play games during World Cup games but can schedule games around them, If games in Qatar kick off at say 4.30 Uk time then im sure it will be ok for 7.45 kick offs in lower league games

if anything this could probably help these clubs get better attendances

During the WC there will be several games per day. They will also usually go back to back. There is also talk of reducing the length of the competition which will also increase the amount of games per day and make scheduling around them very difficult.

Qatar are 3 hours ahead of the UK so I would guess would be having group games 4pm (1pm UK, 2pm Central Europe), 7pm (4pm UK, 5pm Central Europe) and 10pm (7pm UK, 8pm Central Europe) making it impossible to slot games at home around them.

Anyone else had the thought that this will be used to get a winter break in the PL every season?

Good point.

The winter break in which clubs will jet over the other side of the world to play lucrative friendlies against each other. 

Yes this is one of the first things I thought of too. Ironically enough a lot of the lucrative winter break friendlies will probably be played in Qatar.

Edited by villa89

Serie a already moved their super cup to December and the Middle East, city played hamburg in Dubai about 3 weeks ago, I'm sure Real Madrid played psg there too, utd have apparently tried and been told no to playing friendlies while not in Europe

It would almost certainly happen

• 2 months later...

Qatari officials said the arrests in March were made because the TV crew did not have permission to film in the country - not because of the content.

A statement from Qatar's Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy said: "Any working journalist who has visited Qatar will be aware of this process and understand filming in specific locations without permission runs the risk of legal repercussions."

Always more to a headline ;)

Edited by Zatman

The Qatari authorities are not going to grant permission allowing foreign journalists to expose their dirty laundry. The fact that they ban filming in the first place tells you all you need to know. 

• Like 1

yeah, its not like professional photography and filming is banned without permission in Trafalgar square, parliament square and royal parks... you also need permission to film on all private property, i'm pretty sure you'll also need a consent form from everyone you film, or blur them out

so if you think that big bad qatar is stopping foreign journalists from strolling on to building sites and filming the working conditions whereas in this country they are free to do so im sorry but you're wrong

yeah, its not like professional photography and filming is banned without permission in Trafalgar square, parliament square and royal parks... you also need permission to film on all private property, i'm pretty sure you'll also need a consent form from everyone you film, or blur them out

Foreign travellers are welcome to whip cameras out in Traf Square, Parliament Square and Hyde Park. Try that on a Qatari stadium site.

It's safety, public liability, RF allocation and all that jazz they worry about with pro shoots in Traf Square (they can also ask for money!).

I work on London sites from time to time with film crews.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â