FIFA Corruption

islingtonclaret

I hope this is the straw that breaks greedy FIFA's back.

I hope the tournament happens, any the best 90% of players don't go.

Out of interest, are any of the candidates for the top job offering to switch it at all if they are elected?

Places like Qatar and Dubai treat immigrant workers like slaves.  I am all for taking football to new places but not in the name of greed. 

Would love to boycott this world cup and its sponsors.  I will see if I have the will power!

As said somewhere else in the thread we won't see a World Cup in a developed 1st world nation for a while now. Too much scrutiny and awkwardness for FIFA to circumvent. Far easier to throw it to Oil Barons, Minor Despots and banana republics who will take as much shit FIFA will throw their way. Its also a cute way for Sepp to reward his backers.

• Like 1

I'm not sure its "defending the clubs" rather than extreme annoyance that as far as English football is concerned the domestic festive fixtures are cherished and FIFA feels at total liberty to placacte its paymasters and brown envelope pushers by moving a tournament that said clearly at the time of bidding was a SUMMER tournament to suit themselves and their wallets.

The sheer arrogance of Valcke and the whole of FIFA is disgusting to the point of hyperbole.

well if Richard Scudamore was offered money to play 39th game on boxing day im pretty sure he would not be fond of English football tradition either. a lot of the players be back by that date anyway and as they will have a pre-season they wont have to take a holiday after it. Qatar is actually closer than some teams that enter Europa League

this is how world football works though, 1 vote per nation, UEFA has 56 votes i think, going on the assumption that all 56 vote against the winter tournament (which seeing as not all the leagues in europe run from august to may its doubtful that they did) there are still the other 152 members that get a vote, how many of the 208 (? i think) FIFA members are actually going to have to reorganise their fixtures to accommodate this?

but the biggest and most influential members will do so it must be wrong...

ever wonder how blatter is so inept yet keeps his job? this 1 member 1 vote system, with the winter world cup, we will have a proper ball ache with our fixtures so vote no, the kenyan premier league dont have to do anything so vote yes

A boycott is very appealing but as that is not going to happen, the Premier League should just go on without the players who are called up, just as it does for the African Cup of Nations.

With the top clubs losing their big players for the few weeks their country remains in the World Cup, the competition in Premier League et al, would open up and one of the lesser clubs would have a better chance of winning something for a change.

I am not sure the FIFA fascists would like it but it would sure flip them the bird.  :)

Edited by MakemineVanilla

With the top clubs losing their big players for the few weeks their country remains in the World Cup, the competition in Premier League et al, would open up and one of the lesser clubs would have a better chance of winning something for a change.

And you think that this would be desirable to the people who make these decisions? Great for a neutral fan perhaps, but I imagine they'd be concerned about some bullshit like devaluing the brand.

Didn't the PL account for 105 players at the last WC?

Cant see the league going on with that amount of players missing

It won't. There'll be a break from Mid October to the end of December and the season will start earlier and finish later.

And you think that this would be desirable to the people who make these decisions? Great for a neutral fan perhaps, but I imagine they'd be concerned about some bullshit like devaluing the brand.

No. What I actually believe is that the media and football will go through the motions of pretending to be against it, think of the money, and then gradually move from qualified doubt to promoting the tournament with all the over the top bullshit, they usually throw at us.

If killing a thousand construction workers is not enough to induce some moral doubt about the tournament, rearranging a few fixtures is hardly going to faze anyone.

Just as if Russian invaded Latvia tomorrow, it would not be considered reason enough to cancel that World Cup either.

FIFA won't let the leagues continue during the World Cup, I don't think it's as bad as the Olympics which tries to ban all sport while they're on but iirc no domestic leagues can take place during a World Cup, league 1/2 will fall under that rule too which will be interesting

ACON now moved to the summer too due to the winter world cup (it's not like Africa is hot in summer is it!??!)

If FIFA wanted a winter world cup - it should have gone to Australia as June/July is technically winter over there (not to mention it's a country capable of hosting such an event, with already established infrastructure in place and that would positively use the created facilities and stadia to further develop their athletes...)

The whole thing sucks and no one can change it even if someone beats Blatter in the next election (which no doubt will be rigged!)

I like the fact FIFA opt to use different countries to host the World Cup (South Korea/Japan was great, South Africa - different if slightly marred by the vuvuzelas and the 'too round' ball, Mexico was brilliant too) but recently they've opted for Brazil (plenty of work required and rushed to complete), Russia (difficult place to visit/get around and now with added Red Putin trying to re-establish the USSR!) and then Qatar which has caused all sorts of shit.

Sure, pick a new place to spread the football gospel but do it alternately with 'established' nations in between those tournaments.

• Like 1

I don't get the problem with them moving it with the restructuring of the schedule, because the players will just get a longer break in the summer instead of having the WC when it normally is.

What I have a problem is, is that the countries were bidding for a Summer WC, not a Winter one. This is obviously a corrupted vote as anyone voting could have seen that playing in the summer isn't doable in Qatar. If the summer WC isn't viable, the vote should be void and there should be a re-vote. But then, FIFA knew this would happen all along.

No-one in power is going to derail the Middle Eastern money train. Qatar and UAE are already deep into some of the biggest clubs in the World. What will their stranglehold be like in 7 years time?

FIFA won't let the leagues continue during the World Cup, I don't think it's as bad as the Olympics which tries to ban all sport while they're on but iirc no domestic leagues can take place during a World Cup, league 1/2 will fall under that rule too which will be interesting

MLS has played through the past few World Cups.

The PL may find there's more money in keeping going than in stopping the league. How many of their broadcasters will be showing the World Cup? Since in most countries, the World Cup is on free TV and the PL is on pay TV, there's not going to be a conflict. But the pay TV broadcasters will still need content, because they need to keep subscriptions ticking over. The biggest clubs will want to stop, but do they get the votes to make the PL take a break? Remember, it's one club, one vote.

The PL might divide the clubs into two blocks of 10 and only have games within one block each round, so there'd only be half as many games as usual, but I don't see them taking a break.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â