FIFA Corruption

islingtonclaret

I can't really see Budweiser paying millions to advertise in a country which doesn't drunk alcohol...

Especially if fifa are actively saying Qatar MUST serve alcohol around the grounds and have designated alcohol allowed zones in cities.

Great brand endorsment that....

That's one main sponsor gone.

I dont think they will be bothered about the effects locally tbh.

They pay their money to get the brand out globally via the media.

Didnt FIFA make Brazil change their laws so they could allow drinking in stadiums at the World Cup, im sure will be same in Qatar

Difference is Islam forbids it. It'll be interesting to see if money trumps piety. I'm guessing it will in a photo finish.

Didnt FIFA make Brazil change their laws so they could allow drinking in stadiums at the World Cup, im sure will be same in Qatar

Difference is Islam forbids it. It'll be interesting to see if money trumps piety. I'm guessing it will in a photo finish.

You can currently buy alcohol in Qatar, either in hotels or in off-licenses for those with an alcohol license. 

It's not quite as liberal as it is here in the UAE - where Heineken are a main sponsor for the Dubai Rugby 7's for instance, but neither is it on the same level as Saudi Arabia.

Having said all that, I don't the Qatari's realise that there is so much more to a WC than just the actual games. The fan zones and nightlife are a huge part of the experience and I don't think they'll have a clue on what to do.

Regarding the potential problems with the wider tournament, won't the Qataris do what they do with everything else they're seemingly unable to be any good at and chuck oil money at foreigners to do it for them in their name?

Same as their athletics team, which realistically could be called the African All Stars.

Agreed, it really will be interesting to see who wins. It'll probably depend on the wider political situation with Islam at the time, ie. if selling alcohol seems likely to be a rallying point for terrorists to get behind then maybe it won't happen. Expect some creative re-defining of what counts as a 'hotel' though, if that's where alcohol can be sold. 

Alcohol is just one of issues that needs addressing, the other major issue is Qatar banning gay or lesbian people from entering the country in 2013, so are homosexual football fans banned from supporting there country?

FIFA have sold the TV rights for the 2026 World Cup in the US to Fox. About five years earlier than they normally would. At a very, very reasonable price.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Fox having threatened legal action against FIFA for moving a product that they'd paid for from the summer to the winter. No. Not at all. Put that thought from your mind.

• Like 3

To be fair, just looking at the other bidders for the 2022 World Cup, Qatar was really the only option. I think FIFA enjoyed South Africa and Brazil a lot and the human rights violations they were afforded there. They would be looking to continue that theme, and I can't imagine any of the other bidders being as malleable as South Africa, Brazil and Qatar. Too many people in Japan, S Korea, USA and Australia buy the products of the sponsors for them to go full FIFA on them.

• Like 1

Imagine if Israel qualify for the tournament.

I really hope this happens. Belting out that Israeli national anthem in the middle of Qatar. I also hope that a number of openly gay players are members of squads that qualify for the tournament.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â