FIFA Corruption

islingtonclaret

It's bullshit.

I don't mind a Winter World Cup. I don't even mind it being in Qatar.

But I'm still of the belief that it should have been pitched like that in the first place. People should have been voting on a winter world cup.

If you're bidding to host a tournament that it is impossible to hold because the players will melt, then it should never have even made it to the table.

Yebbut, what about stadiums with giant fans in? Eh?

As long as there's decent leg room, they should be alright. I'd be a bit annoyed if I had to sit behind one, though.

• Like 1

I'm not even sure there was all that much bribing in the Qatar bid. I think it was moreso that FIFA will get everything absolutely their own way there. It's the nature of the FIFA World Cup now that means that countries who won't roll over and take it up the pooper from FIFA are extremely unlikely to get it. Countries with a very poor human rights record, and no interest in improving it, will get the World Cup from now on. FIFA will make more money from a World Cup held all their own way, entirely on their terms, than they would from the individual members taking bribes. It's a Nash equilibrium point*.

*No idea.

Quite obviously the most corrupt sporting body in the world today. 

It's beyond contempt. 

Yillan I am not so sure, UK tournament would yield more sponsorship revenue, already there are sponsors asking questions, the viewing figures will be less and the match day revenues will be far less than a UK held tournament. 

Lets face it the biggest sporting nations for football are South American and Europe (continents), so holding them in either is going to be a stadium filler and big sponsorship pull. 

You could argue proposing a summer Qatar world cup and then saying "actually........" is no different to political parties tearing up manifesto after they get in. 

forcing a country to allow public drinking outside every stadium etc is also a massive FIFA knobbish approach. 

This is an organisation sitting on about $4bn in cash and assets......

Lets face it the biggest sporting nations for football are South American and Europe (continents), so holding them in either is going to be a stadium filler and big sponsorship pull. 

You think that if it's in Qatar that the stadia will be empty and the likes of Visa and Gazprom are not going to bother sponsoring it?

You think that if it's in Qatar that the stadia will be empty and the likes of Visa and Gazprom are not going to bother sponsoring it?

No they just won't pay FIFA as much.

Doesn't work like that, they're tied in to 3/4 tournaments at a time

There's some fuss about the likes of Sony dropping out but the reality is they just haven't renewed, I think emirates are the only ones to properly pull out, but Qatar will just step in

They'll get the pr team in it but the reality is coca cola must be eying this up thinking it's brilliant, Pepsi dominated part of the world

Said before I don't think this is an illegal brown paper envelope under the table job I think this will be an above board ridiculously lucrative tournament for FIFA members, forget the corruption allegations disclose the credit card accounts from Brazil, stories of them kicking holland out of their hotel because FIFA had it booked for their mates, I bet they all had a great time, the watches story says it all for me, the gifts, piss ups, parties, money spinning relationships that will be forged in Qatar will blow that out of the water, you don't need £50k under a table to vote for Qatar you're about to have the greatest month of your life

Yes, I know. That was my point.

If you'd like to explain this to the gentleman who thinks that unless it's held in Europe or South America (they are continents, apparently) that the sponsors aren't going to be giving FIFA any money.

Yes, I know. That was my point.

If you'd like to explain this to the gentleman who thinks that unless it's held in Europe or South America (they are continents, apparently) that the sponsors aren't going to be giving FIFA any money.

He didn't say that at all, you're putting words into his mouth. He said they'd make more money from sponsorship if it was in Europe or S America, not that they will make no money if it's anywhere else, ie. he said something which is at least possibly true, rather than something which is definitively false. There is an argument that they would make more from sposnsorship if it was elsewhere. I also think having a winter world cup may negatively affect viewing figures, as many people work longer hours before Christmas holidays and January deadlines, and in general, the quality of the other television products competing with the football will be much higher than it is in June and July. 

• Like 1

Clubs are not allowed to hold onto players if they are called up*

*apart from West Ham.

At the moment that's true, but if FIFA choose to ignore the compromises proposed by the biggest leagues, then I have a feeling that this uneasy peace might not last.

There are billions of pounds of TV money for a product that Mr Blatter wants to take off the air for two months (so that he can line his own pockets) at stake here - I think there's a real danger that this could create a permanent schism within the game. 

This situation is so ridiculous it's laughable - I can only hope we don't qualify.

There is an argument that they would make more from sposnsorship if it was elsewhere.

In my personal opinion, we have a winner, FIFA is taking some of these brands that we consider to be household and huge, market dominating brands in to regions where they don't actually dominate, like I said coca cola in the Middle East being the best example

It's pretty simple - FIFA have changed their own rules by moving.

Australia would not have spent millions pitching a bid if the bid was for a tournament being held in November, during the Australian summer. Well, the might have but the temperature would have been a factor. Oh, actually it wouldn't seeming as a desert won the bid. Who knows? Make it up as you go along, so long as all the Fifa bods make a lot of money for themselves.

• Like 2

I can't really see Budweiser paying millions to advertise in a country which doesn't drunk alcohol...

Especially if fifa are actively saying Qatar MUST serve alcohol around the grounds and have designated alcohol allowed zones in cities.

Great brand endorsment that....

That's one main sponsor gone.

You get more sponsorship when the product is more desirable. Fifa in qatar isn't as desirable as Germany WC.

London Olympics the perfect example, most successful revenue generating Olympics in history. Full stadiums for every single event and well organised.

That will not happen in Qatar

It's beyond contempt. 

Yillan I am not so sure, UK tournament would yield more sponsorship revenue, already there are sponsors asking questions, the viewing figures will be less and the match day revenues will be far less than a UK held tournament. 

but Qatar didnt beat England in the hosting

If it's in the winter, I'd sooner Europe's top leagues carried on regardless and didn't release players. Skip this one and proceed directly to 2026.

top leagues have no say in it. The best players always want to represent their countries and will get their way look at Messi in 2008

international football is still a big thing just not in England

It's beyond contempt. 

but Qatar didnt beat England in the hosting

But they did beat Australia, South Korea, Japan and the US who all would've made far far better hosts.

maybe as location wise but not as a fan or for the European market which is FIFA big deal.  2002 was a nightmare to watch games same was 94. Australia you just have to look at start times of the World Cup to know that woud be bad for sponsorship

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â