FIFA Corruption

islingtonclaret

Wasn't sure where to put this, but The Netherlands are not very happy at the moment. Whilst they were having mourning ceremonies for the victims of MH17, FIFA decided to have a little ceremony in Russia to celebrate a brick being laid or something for 2018. 

Netherlands are understandably fuming, and there's various campaigns, online and otherwise, to try start momentum in boycotting the 2018 World Cup.

Anyone else get the feeling that the dominoes are starting to be set, and it's just gonna take one little push to start it all off? I'm starting to think for the first time that there might not even be a FIFA held tournament in 2022, at least not one anyone will be competing in.

Edited by Qwpzxjor1

Wasn't sure where to put this, but The Netherlands are not very happy at the moment. Whilst they were having mourning ceremonies for the victims of MH17, FIFA decided to have a little ceremony in Russia to celebrate a brick being laid or something for 2018. 

Netherlands are understandably fuming, and there's various campaigns, online and otherwise, to try start momentum in boycotting the 2018 World Cup.

Anyone else get the feeling that the dominoes are starting to be set, and it's just gonna take one little push to start it all off? I'm starting to think for the first time that there might not even be a FIFA held tournament in 2022, at least not one anyone will be competing in.

No chance of the Russian World Cup being boycotted, cold hard cash is what concerns Fifa not morals and doing the right thing. I think we had already worked that out by now.

• Like 1

No chance of the Russian World Cup being boycotted, cold hard cash is what concerns Fifa not morals and doing the right thing. I think we had already worked that out by now.
But Fifa won't have a tournament if the nations refuse to play.
  • Like 1

There's already talk of Netherlands refusing to take part in the qualifiers for 2018, they'll just sit this tournament out. If enough teams do this (for 2018 or 2022, whatever) then FIFA have little power.

I imagine the English FA, Spanish FA, etc.. gain more financially from their domestic leagues than the tournaments. If the general public are happy to ignore a World Cup, then who's to stop a few major countries just refusing to qualify?

Problem is that these teams and their associations are tied into commercial deals that make it very difficult for them to pull out - if Holland pull out, they're looking at coughing up several million euro's to Nike, and more to broadcasters, drinks companies and the umpteen brands they sold their national teams to.

• Like 2

Every day I read awful stories of how those workers are being treated. They are not getting paid and staying in awful housing situations. Worker said that they are being worked to their deaths and an employer spoke on unpaid wages saying he did not get his wealth by handing it out so freely.

Problem is that these teams and their associations are tied into commercial deals that make it very difficult for them to pull out - if Holland pull out, they're looking at coughing up several million euro's to Nike, and more to broadcasters, drinks companies and the umpteen brands they sold their national teams to.

What if they tragically fail to qualify? Against all odds, some "poor selection decisions" means they didn't qualify. What could the sponsors do then?..

Unfortunately the only way for anything to change in football, not just international football but everywhere, is for a large group of people to intentionally miss out on a large amount of money.

I can't see Russia being boycotted. Qatar maybe, if things continue to simmer.

A quick look at the various summer and winter Olympic boycotts from 1976 through to 1984 suggests boycotts aren't a sure fire winner.

1976 a majority of African countries boycotted the Montreal Games - remember that one?

1980 the USA lead a boycott of Russia's Olympics - remember the official reason? The Russian invasion of Afghanistan (which sounds a bit ironical now).

1984 Russia's revenge boycott of the USA

Don't get me wrong, it's a good idea and very possibly should be carried out. But for it to be truly significant it probably requires a breakaway organisation to be formed for a while to allow some serious discussion amongst equals with real consequences.

Sickening:

Qatar World Cup stadium workers earn as little as 45p an hour. Pay slips show migrant workers building the al-Wakrah stadium work up to 30 days a month for pay as low as £4.90 a day.

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2014/jul/29/qatar-world-cup-stadium-workers-earn-45p-hour

again, thats a larger construction issue in Qatar not a world cup issue

In the nicest possible way I doubt the South American, African & Asian federations give a toss about what's going on in Ukraine.

Russia will host the tournament and, like Brazil, all protests will be largely forgotten about once it kicks off.

There's already talk of Netherlands refusing to take part in the qualifiers for 2018, they'll just sit this tournament out. If enough teams do this (for 2018 or 2022, whatever) then FIFA have little power.

I imagine the English FA, Spanish FA, etc.. gain more financially from their domestic leagues than the tournaments. If the general public are happy to ignore a World Cup, then who's to stop a few major countries just refusing to qualify?

The English FA get **** all from Premier League though and the Spanish FA get practically same from Real Madrid and Barcelona

Lineker sounding off in GQ magazine about FIFA

Gary Lineker: Fifa corruption allegations are 'nauseating'

Ex-England striker Gary Lineker says corruption allegations around Fifa are "nauseating", and has also criticised the role of its president Sepp Blatter.

Fifa is investigating claims of wrongdoing relating to the decision to award Qatar the 2022 World Cup.

"It makes you feel sick, the whole Fifa thing, the corruption at the top level is nauseating," said the BBC presenter.

"Sepp Blatter has run it like a dictatorship for so long and he comes out with so much nonsense."

Blatter says allegations surrounding the 2022 bid are motivated by "discrimination and racism" towards Qatar.

Lawyer Michael Garcia, leading the investigation for Fifa, expects to deliver his report on the case in the first week of September.

However several members of the 24-strong Fifa committee which chose Qatar have since left their posts amid corruption allegations.

Qatar's former Fifa vice-president, Mohamed bin Hammam, was banned from football in 2011 for offering bribes; Trinidad official Jack Warner resigned while under investigation for bribery while Nigeria'sAmos Adamu, and Reynald Temarii of Tahiti were suspended after trying to sell votes.

Meanwhile, former Concacaf president Chuck Blazer stood down over corruption allegations; and South American football president Nicolas Leoz resigned on "health and personal" grounds a week before a Fifa ethics report accused him, Fifa honorary president Joao Havelange and Brazil's Ricardo Teixeira, of accepting bribes.

Full article on the Beeb

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â