Peaky Blinders

AndyBM

Finally watched it on iPlayer.   Was most of it filmed on a sound stage?  I don't think you saw the sky once during the entire hour.  Enjoyed it, but it's no Boardwalk Empire. 

Here's a 'cool story bro' moment.

On the way to Malta once, I met up with some of my Uni mates before taking the coach down to Luton Airport. My first mate was from Wolverhampton and my other mate was from Shrewsbury.

I started taking the piss out of the guy from Wolvo, due to the way he spoke and they guy from Shrewsbury said: "Why the hell are you laughing, you both sound the same!" 

Now I know for a fact that I sound nothing like this guy, I have a very neutral brummie accent and most of my local friends say I don't sound brummie at all but have a very neutral English accent.

The end.

• Like 1

i think generally, us brummies dont hear the brummy twang in others, its something were used to, however when we hear someone from the other side of the m5, then its recognisable

however, although its good to see brummies get some tv recognition, at the same time, ive always believed that brummies shouldnt go onto tv, theyre usually an embarrassment to us (speaking more of reality tv shows)

I also just watched it on BBc iPlayer.

Not a bad storyline. And yes it seems small heath hasn't changed since 1919...puking and shagging in the streets, violence and thuggery, thieving and murders :)

The accents are shit on the whole though

Edit- still don't watch TV. I get iPlayer through my Western Digital wireless media player. back to SOA and Dexter now ;)

Edited by rjw63
  • Like 1

I think I read somewhere that this was filmed in Manchester. As rjw63 has said it does seem like nothing has changed in Small Heath since then they were also in Division 2 back in 1919 as they are now. That art gallery is nowhere in Birmingham and they could have popped down for 30 minutes to film the shot in the city centre. I think there are some good attempts at Brummie accents and some dire ones but the show looks a good one.   

I enjoyed it enough to want to keep watching for now - very stylish production, hopefully it doesn't promote style above substance throughout, but with cillian murphy and sam neill as leads I would be surprised if it did.

accents did seem to vary a bit, though not being a brummie myself it wasn't too much of a problem for me!

Was put off by the trailers. The mens' fashions and hairstyles looked authentic for the period, but - as is the case in 90% of these historical dramas - the women (hair, makeup) just looked 'now'.

Won't be watching.

EDIT: This is what I mean...

Peaky Blinders "Edwardian" woman:

Peaky-blinders-gif-cillian-murphy-345634

Actual Edwardian women:

Edwardian.jpg

Edited by mjmooney

The brummie accent remains a mystery to me.   I'm from Warwickshire but I've worked in Birmingham for almost 12 years and while people at home think I sound like a Brummie I still can't do a decent accent if I try.  I can hear differences in the accent though, someone from Kingstanding or Great Barr sounds different to somebody from Acocks Green for example. 

That's cos Great Barr is middle class.  ;)

I think I read somewhere that this was filmed in Manchester. As rjw63 has said it does seem like nothing has changed in Small Heath since then they were also in Division 2 back in 1919 as they are now. That art gallery is nowhere in Birmingham and they could have popped down for 30 minutes to film the shot in the city centre. I think there are some good attempts at Brummie accents and some dire ones but the show looks a good one.   

Liverpool, Leeds and the Black Country museum were all used for filming. Not sure if Manchester was.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the first two episodes online. The style reminds me of Guy Ritchie with the modern music and slow motion. I wasn't blown away by it but I'll keep watching due to the Birmingham setting, it's not often you hear Greet mentioned on telly.

Liverpool, Leeds and the Black Country museum were all used for filming. Not sure if Manchester was.

The stuff in the warehouse last night between Thomas and his now Bro-in-Law Communist was definitely Liverpool (its been in lots of progs / films) a place called Stanley Dock a listed derelict bonded warehouse that is soon to be redeveloped. I think the "Art Gallery" is also St Georges Hall side Entrance

• Like 1

Was put off by the trailers. The mens' fashions and hairstyles looked authentic for the period, but - as is the case in 90% of these historical dramas - the women (hair, makeup) just looked 'now'.

Won't be watching.

Actual Edwardian women:

Edwardian.jpg

So you won't be watching purely because the women's hairstyles aren't right?  

The stuff in the warehouse last night between Thomas and his now Bro-in-Law Communist was definitely Liverpool (its been in lots of progs / films) a place called Stanley Dock a listed derelict bonded warehouse that is soon to be redeveloped. I think the "Art Gallery" is also St Georges Hall side Entrance

Yeah, the exterior of that Gallery looked like St. Georges Hall for sure.

It was a good ep last night.

Won't be watching.

Actual Edwardian women:

Edwardian.jpg

So you won't be watching purely because the women's hairstyles aren't right?  

Well that's oversimplifying things, but basically, yeah. 

For me, historical drama has to make the most of the historical context, or there is no point to it - you might as well make a crime drama about the present day. So many series made in recent years (The White Queen, Rome, The Tudors, etc.) are just contemporary drama in costume - there is no sense of "otherness". The Americans do it better - Boardwalk Empire isn't perfect, but it's streets ahead of what we've been churning out. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â