The History Thread

maqroll

who gives a shit?

In the south, the Surrey boys take the piss out of the Essex boys, in the north Brummies moan about Mancs claiming the 2nd city shit.  So even when you have South/North debates, we all hate people from around the corner.  Cov for example.

I think the only universal common thought in this country is that Liverpool should be cut adrift and coupled with the Isle of Man.

it has become much like football teams, i just hate the **** lot of them that arent us...

lapal is right, at least once a month in my office the brummies and the black country boys will have a debate / argument about who has the stupider accent, its hilarious

it has become much like football teams, i just hate the **** lot of them that arent us...

lapal is right, at least once a month in my office the brummies and the black country boys will have a debate / argument about who has the stupider accent, its hilarious

Who wins? Yow cor 'ave the yam yams not winning stupidest accent.

Southerners have always been superior to Northerners in the UK :P

Which makes it more ironic that the Southern feudal types were more generally from the Midlands and the North (or, barring that, the West Country). New England Yankees almost exclusively trace their ancestry from the South East.

(and given that, over the past few centuries, the New England Yankees, along with their Dutch-influenced South Eastern English forebears have pretty much been on one of the all-time great winning streaks, if there's any group that can lay a legitimate claim to master race status it's New England Yankees...)

((sorry donnie))

(((or has that died out?)))

((((if it hasn't, then sorry donnie))))

• Like 1

Amazing what "Ultra" did for the war effort in WW2. How the Germans didn't know their code was broken is equally amazing.

I think the thing I find most fascinating about this is that the code was so successful that it was effectively the German's own stupidity in using it that meant we could break it.

I know what you mean. It was designed to be perfect, and in many ways it was. It was the users who cocked it up. I'm sure there was the on guy who believed that it couldn't be broken that he sent a message just pressing the L key about 50 times for a joke. Well that was cracked within about 10 minutes and gave them the crib for a day. 

The one's that really impressed me were the ones who cracked the Japanese codes, how do you do that? its symbols not letters.

The only code not broken were the windtalkers, The American Navajo indians own tongue.

The greatest enemy of any encryption scheme is the users.

• 4 weeks later...

Britain's oldest person has died at the age of 114. Ethel Lang was believed to be the last person living in the UK who was born in the reign of Queen Victoria.

BBC

Edited by Xann

I can't decide who was the bigger dickhead, Patton or Montgomery

Nothing in it. On balance I'd say Patton. They both had massive egos, but Patton didn't give a shit how many of his men died to further his own glory. Whereas Montgomery was over-cautious due his NOT wanting to risk too many of his men's lives. That might make Patton the more effective general, but the bigger dickhead. 

Britain's oldest person has died at the age of 114. Ethel Lang was believed to be the last person living in the UK who was born in the reign of Queen Victoria.

BBC

she was believed to be the oldest person in europe

I had her in my deadpool list and then decided that wasn't in the spirit of the thing

B8OP4YtIQAAfvhK.jpg

the architect needed a non-slip surface for the children's play area, so used 57,000 Everite asbestos cement tiles

ah, the good old days

When I was a kid I used to mould all year round snowmen or bike ramps out of the white 'papier mache' stuff that glooped out of the rusting steam trains once the rain had peeled back the outer case of the boilers - turns out that was asbestos too!

I can't decide who was the bigger dickhead, Patton or Montgomery

Nothing in it. On balance I'd say Patton. They both had massive egos, but Patton didn't give a shit how many of his men died to further his own glory. Whereas Montgomery was over-cautious due his NOT wanting to risk too many of his men's lives. That might make Patton the more effective general, but the bigger dickhead. 

I don't know whether what you say is true of Patton or not, but I do like him for the quote along the lines of "We don't want you to die for your country, we want you to get the other goddamn sonofabitch to die for HIS country."

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â