What's in a name?

AntrimBlack

Putting AVFC on the badge was actually clever because not only did we keep our actual identity intact (We are still Aston Villa Football Club), it gave us a second more succinct identity that could fit on something like a badge and which is for all intents and purposes unique to our club in world football. If anything, it made our identity stronger because the AVFC initialism is now automatically identified as Aston Villa Football Club to a wider audience.

• Like 1

Looks like I am in quite a small minority here, perhaps as little as one.

And for what its worth, I always thought AVFC was `americanisation'. :)

Hardly Americanisation as they call it soccer!  :D

Although soccer is an English word and so isn't an Americanisation anyway :P

Doesn't matter how many times you point this out, there are still legions of people who just ignore the fact that soccer as a term is almost as old a term as the FA from which it derives. I really don't know why people hate the term, it was fairly commonplace when I was growing up in the 70's

Nah, not at all.

The two are intrinsically linked, we chant songs with avfc in it, te old floodlights had AV on them, much of our branding has been AV related and for some time (ie pre randy).

It's what I sat doodling for many hours during school, college and uni trying to come up with a cool way of fitting them all together into some form of tattoo that I never then had (opted for classic lion and 'prepared' instead which in retrospect was a good choice).

Club names have been abbreviated forever for various reasons.....nothing sinister in it for me

We literally have one of the best names, why change it.....

Do people in Norway know that we are from Birmingham?

I'm sure most do, and those that don't can just Google it.

Didn't you say once that you'd rather we were called Birmingham Villa? Personally I love the name Aston Villa, objectively it's one of the best names in professional English football.

^Nope, never said that, you are mistaking me for someone else :P

No you didn`t. Changing it from the get-go is what makes it americanized.

I have no idea what this post means sorry :(

I just meant changing it is what makes it american, since tradition often fall behind money over there. My english is not great, especially when it comes to writing. :/

Sorry. Did not make myself clear. I meant the badge. I feel that that is quite a noticeable part of our image, and always, as far as I know, carried our full name.

And no, not some daft name, but the proud name that we have carried for all these years. I just feel that the name `Aston Villa' has lost its prominance.

I agree with you. It's the best name in football, and should be on, above or underneath the badge. Just one more reason to dislike the new badge.

Although soccer is an English word and so isn't an Americanisation anyway :P

Doesn't matter how many times you point this out, there are still legions of people who just ignore the fact that soccer as a term is almost as old a term as the FA from which it derives. I really don't know why people hate the term, it was fairly commonplace when I was growing up in the 70's

It was interchangable while I was growing up in the 70's & 80's. Wasn't Subbuteo marketed as table soccer?  I've certainly never considered it an American term. We've used either football or soccer and the Americans have just used soccer. It's worth using just to annoy people sometimes :rolleyes:

As for the badge having AVFC, I don't see a problem. Anybody that knows anything about English football would instantly associate it with Aston Villa just as the FCN logo is recognizable as FC Nuremburg.

Anyone that doesn't know can easily find out on the tinterweb and they'd also find out a bit about our history as well which isn't a bad thing.

The fewer people who know this the better.

That's how we got Benteke!

Agreed! Who would want to be associated with Birmingham anyway?

I'm sure most do, and those that don't can just Google it.

Didn't you say once that you'd rather we were called Birmingham Villa? Personally I love the name Aston Villa, objectively it's one of the best names in professional English football.

Yeah. I like the name but I think we would attract more fans in Birmingham if we were named after the city rather than an area of it.

TRS I have a strange feeling that you and your family members stand by every entrance into Birmingham, waiting to greet and shake hands with everyone entering, telling them all the facts and how great a city it is. Wearing this t-shirt;

36.jpg

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â