Manchester United

BOF

I've worked with McKinsey & Co and you ain't a millions miles out. This is all part of a longer plan . Moyes is the night watchman .

Then why such a long contract?

They hired Moyes because they wanted stability. They could have hired a caretaker manager or promoted Giggs or someone if they wanted a short term option between Fergie and the next manager.

The 10 years that Moyes spent at Everton was the reason they hired him, not because they thought he was crap. They made a mistake, the way it has played out has not gone to plan so far. 

• Like 2

The Rev....Everton stayed up on the last day in 97/98 and that was under Howard Kendall. They also stayed up on the last day in one of the early prem seasons in that mad game against Wimbledon when Segers threw a couple in.......allegedly. So they were mediocre for a long time before Moyes came in, we were regularly finishing above them in that ten year period between 92-02.

But then maybe Smith just badly under performed? Everton fans expectations have always been top six, and with good reason really.

Everton for me, during Moyes' tenure consisted of a lot of players I really wanted to have at the Villa. Loyal servants of high quality as well as a lot of grifters every club has easier access to, but they didn't necessarily make them fight for top 6. Tim Cahill was picked up for 1.5M, Tim Howard cost 3M, Phil Neville 3.5M, Steven Pienaar 2M, Phil Jagielka 4M, of course Leighton Baines at 6M, Joleon Lescott 5M, Mikel Arteta 2M and so on. Marouane Fellaini was expensive at 15M, but he was always feared and coveted by most clubs when he was at Everton. Looks totally lost at United, but let's not forget he has played a total of eight games in the league for them. I guess it was Moyes who also brought in Seamus Coleman to Everton. He was basically working on the same type of budget Paul Lambert has now, and we see what kind of players a better manager can get into his team if the kit is spent properly. It also shows how huge of a step it is from managing a mid-table club with little pressure, as opposed to a top club demanding the trophy every season.

Good post, Pap. Moyes consistently did fantastic business with transfers. Given his resources, what he achieved in terms of bringing in quality without breaking the bank is to be applauded. Had he been in charge in 1995, Everton would have been strong contenders for the league and CL qualification.

I thought he would be better but I think maybe Moyes has reached the Martin O'Neill glass ceiling where you cant get much higher

A glass ceiling is an "invisible" system which is in place to stop the people beneath it getting above it. It mostly refers to racism, sexism, ageism or not having the right old school tie preventing people from getting jobs.

In football it is the systems which are clearly in place to ensure the clubs that have regularly qualified for the Champions League in the past will have an easier time continuing to qualify for it compared to other clubs (income disparity, the structure of the Europa League, increased bench sizes).

None of these apply to Manchester United so talk of a glass ceiling is just a smokescreen to divert from the fact that their current plight has been caused by poor management from the footballing side of the club and the board room.

Manure are one of the top 6 clubs in the world.  Could you see one of the other top 5 appointing Moyes?

They say that good footballers do not always make good managers,  Fergie (good manager that he was) is proving that good managers do not always pick good managers.

Why didn't they go for someone like Carlo Ancelotti when he was at PSG? Media friendly, proven prem experience with Chelsea (if slightly overrated imo) and also does very well in Europe playing decent football.

Think he would've been a really good choice and I expect him to be in the shake up post Moyes.

Why didn't they go for someone like Carlo Ancelotti when he was at PSG? Media friendly, proven prem experience with Chelsea (if slightly overrated imo) and also does very well in Europe playing decent football.

Think he would've been a really good choice and I expect him to be in the shake up post Moyes.

United are going to take Real Madrid's manager?

United and Ferguson should have gone all out for Guardiola.

Guardiola to Munich was a done deal almost a year before they announced it. Rafa Honigstein called it on Football Weekly not long after Pep had left Barcelona. He used his sabbatical in New York to learn German by all accounts. I don't think Manchester United ever had a chance of landing him.

All of these conversations about elite level mangers go back to the same point though. How many of them really wanted to be the guy who followed Fergie? The only way was down from there. Plenty will want to be the guy who follows Moyes.

They really should go for Klopp at the end of the season. If they are going to give a manager the funds for a complete squad overall I know which of the two I'd prefer to be in charge.

Moyes is really good in the transfer market. Don't get me wrong, I think of Klopp as the best in the world, so obviously id take him, but moyes issue wouldn't be who he brings it, it would be how he utilizes them.

Fellaini?

He still has tons of time to come good, but even if he doesn't, I'm not sure pointing out 1 failure in 11 or so years of top flight management proves a lot.

I guess his transfer record at Everton was good, but so far he hasn't done too well in the transfer market for United, has he? Even if Fellaini does come good, he will never be worth price they shelled out for him. Not sure Mata, as good a player as he is, is worth the money they paid as well.

On top of all that, I think you have to judge his aptitude in the transfer market not just by the deals he makes, but also by how well he rectifies inadequacies in the squad. And in that respect, he seems to have done very badly so far.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â