Manchester United

BOF

I'm going to sound really dumb but which game did Carrick do a really bad back pass? I don't remember it. Maybe it was a game I missed.

I think it's just a general criticism that he only passes sideways or backwards, similar to what people say about Westwood for us.

Both untrue, imo. But I think that's what they're getting at, as opposed to one particular incident (although I'm happy to be corrected)

this is where i think they'll struggle

they'll need a £30-40m top quality CB to lead that defence

- they dont grow on trees

- so do barca

- arguably so do city

if you had the choice between utd or barca or city its not going to be utd, especially if they dont get CL, then you throw in the likes of monaco and PSG who will no doubt spend for fun again

now guess that the CB they go for is Thiago Silva, already linked with leaving PSG, quality player, can utd even afford him? £40m+ transfer, £150 p/w + in wages... 

mangala was costing city £38m wasnt he? Marquinhos has had his big move and will be the same as Thiago Silva, Varane wont happen, neither will hummels(not sure bout Subotic), Otamendi is joining valencia, they're left with the likes of garay, howedes, inigo martinez etc

i don't think they'll get a proper top tier best in the world CB, their CBs for next season at the moment looks like jones, smalling and evans... that is shite for a utd team

The top top players who have any ambition are going to want champions league football

They might need to set their sights to younger talent but whoever they sign it won't be cheap

Mata being the exception of course i think he joined with the belief that they can still finish in the top 4

I still can't believe im talking about the infallible Manchester United here

Loving it

Edited by AshVilla

The top top players who have any ambition are going to want champions league football

Player want money plain and simple (See Lucas Neill). The "I want to play champions league football" nonsense is just an excuse to get a move for more money as the biggest wage payer's all play in the CL. If players really wanted CL then they would move to Galatasary or another perennial CL club. Players will go to Man Utd. because they pay high wages, it doesn't matter if they aren't in the CL. 

That's a fair point which I had never thought about before. If they were truly desperate to play Champions League then yeah there are plenty of clubs they could join around Europe like Olympiakos, Porto, Ajax etc.

Player want money plain and simple (See Lucas Neill). The "I want to play champions league football" nonsense is just an excuse to get a move for more money as the biggest wage payer's all play in the CL. If players really wanted CL then they would move to Galatasary or another perennial CL club. Players will go to Man Utd. because they pay high wages, it doesn't matter if they aren't in the CL. 

i agree they'll want money, but there's plenty of clubs around europe now paying bigger money than utd

So they will have mercenaries playing for them instead of people who want to wear the united shirt and win trophies

Can they really afford to pay big money out on wages without the guarantees of CL football as well?

Weren't they quarter of a billion in debt not so long back

Edited by AshVilla

United might be a sinking ship, although the analogy I'd use is a weather-proof lifeboat in violent seas.  I don't think Vidic is an example of rats fleeing it though.  Vidic is way past his best and is becoming more and more unreliable in terms of injury and match fitness.  His wage demands and likely contract (length) demands are more likely to have meant United said 'no' to whatever he asked for.  To me this is a 32 year old crock being shipped (har har) out before he becomes a further drain.  A changing of the guard.  A Vidic at his peak will be extremely difficult for United to replace, but that's no reason to hang on to what's left of him.  The same probably goes for Ferdinand & Evra.

It's no co-incidence that Fergie's generation of players are expiring in and around the same time.  He engineered his squad in that way.  As good or as bad as Moyes is, this imminent squad turnover was always on the cards.  Vidic can spin it whatever way he chooses.  After all, he's still seeking a great move.  But the facts and figures speak for themselves.  He is 32 and he has missed as near as makes no difference, 40% of United's league campaign this season.

• Like 2

Manchester United are clearly in decline, and I just think that Vidic will be the first in a very long line of player's who will leave in 2014. Some of them are the wrong side of 30 and past it, but I think some of their decent mid to late 20s player's will leave too. Every great empire comes to an end eventually, Roman empire, Ottoman empire etc.

Which is what I said whilst also putting my own opinion across in the process.  Whether or not one believes that Man Utd are in decline or just having a Moyes-sized blip, I don't think Vidic is an example of that decline.  It would've been madness to keep him around the place on what he'd have wanted to be on.  Let's see if any actual assets leave in the summer.  Rooney is obviously the big one.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â