Manchester United

BOF

49 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

They're not appealing the decision of a foul, they're satisfied with that, they're appealing the opinion of the referee on the force and intent of that foul and the corresponding opinions of the VAR officials on the same incident - appealing an opinion is a very odd thing, because all you're really doing is giving your own opinion on an incident and in this case saying that your opinion is more important than the opinions of those that are paid to make the decision.

It shouldn't come as any great surprise that the Premier League agree that the opinion of Manchester United is more important than the opinions of referees.

Of course it’s a foul and of course it’s not a red card. It’s about as clear cut as it can get on both counts. Several people on here said that it would get overturned as soon as it happened. It’s abysmal refereeing. 

I was amazed that it wasn’t overturned by VAR until I saw that it was Peter Bankes who seems to have no idea what the rules of football are based on the games that I’ve seen him referee.

I can’t stand Man United, I can’t stand Bruno Fernandes but I’m OK with bad decisions like this getting overturned.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Martyn Ziegler in the Times today said they'll run into issues with Uefa PSR. There's a kit deal with Adidas coming into force for 25-26 and it's a 10m penalty clause if they miss CL for two consecutive seasons.

They basically need to win the Europa league.

I don’t think that £10m clause is anything major for Man Utd in isolation.  However, sacking Ten Hag will be £10m, poaching a good manager from another team £10m, giving new manager funds in Jan and summer to build his own team £150m.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

We're arguably better off if he plays, he's in bad form and his presence seems to give them a worse midfield shape off the ball. 

Mainoo looks like he's got a McGinn type injury so I can't see him making our game. It leaves one of the slowest midfields in the league as their options are Eriksen, Casemiro and Ugarte. Rogers will have a field day against two of those if we get the ball quickly to him on the break.

We really should be beating them regardless of Fernandes being there or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tom_avfc said:

Of course it’s a foul and of course it’s not a red card. It’s about as clear cut as it can get on both counts. Several people on here said that it would get overturned as soon as it happened. It’s abysmal refereeing. 

I was amazed that it wasn’t overturned by VAR until I saw that it was Peter Bankes who seems to have no idea what the rules of football are based on the games that I’ve seen him referee.

I can’t stand Man United, I can’t stand Bruno Fernandes but I’m OK with bad decisions like this getting overturned.

Easy decision to appeal aswell when Maddison came out and said he didn't think it was a red. If the player fouled said that it's a very strong character witness statement to bring to an appeal.

• Like 1

I heard a stat the other day that Man Utd have conceded 3 or more goals on 25 occasions since Ten Hag took over. It'd be nice to give them a thumping on Sunday and put the final nail in Erik's coffin.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, I had a look at our own stats in this regard and they're pretty much just as bad!

Man Utd: Conceded 3 or more in 25 out of 122 games under Ten Hag (20.5%)
Villa: Conceded 3 or more in 17 out of 91 games under Unai (19%)

Good chance of there being at least 5 goals in this game I reckon!

Edited by oishiiniku_uk
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, MrBlack said:

The ONLY reason this was overturned is due to the product. The FA are utterly corrupt. But it doesn't matter, they are still shit and will still be shit.

VAR shown up for the incompetent waste of time that it is too.

If it was corruption, why wasn't it overturned by VAR?  If it was corruption, why did the ref even give a red card?

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

If it was corruption, why wasn't it overturned by VAR?  If it was corruption, why did the ref even give a red card?

Incompetence. They failed to uphold the standards of corruption expected by the PL.

• Haha 1

His actions resulted in him being unable to stay on his feet.  He then slid into Maddison with his foot studs up at knee height and caught him.  Yes, he was unlucky with how he slipped and his foot bounced off his lower leg, but he seriously endangered the opponent.

I get it probably isn't a red card if you look at what part of his foot actually connected with Maddison.

But you can absolutely debate the intent to the point only Rat face really knows what he could or couldn't have done to get his foot out the way. Given his scummy character I know which side of the fence I land on. 

And then the endangering component is not at all debatable. He was lucky his foot ended up landing ahead of Maddison's knee rather than in the side of it.

It's a debatable red (as demonstrated by the debate here) and there's too much subjectivity to warrant overturning a decision that went through a referee, and the VAR without being changed. It only got changed because it's Man United and the sway they hold with the powers that be.

Edited by MrBlack

58 minutes ago, AJG23 said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/erik-ten-hag-manchester-city-porto-harry-maguire-europa-league-b2622593.html

Erik ten Hag insists Manchester United’s poor start to the campaign is nothing “to panic about” as the under-fire manager ignores talk of the sack and focuses on ending the season with more silverware.

Somehow he'll probably avoid the sack, finish 9th but win the League Cup and Europa League.

• Like 1

It’s amazing he managed to get the completely unseen version of City in the final last year. Pep allowed the players to party all week even though they had a cup final against their rival at the weekend. 
He must have done it on purpose to keep EtH in a job and keep them from being any sort of threat for a bit longer.

3 hours ago, turvontour said:

Has it been downgraded to a yellow then or does he get away with it like it didn't happen?

My understanding is that they make no effort to decide whether it was a yellow or not, and simply strike out the red card.

I wouldn't say he 'got away with it' though, while it means he can get one extra booking before being suspended, they've effectively traded a yellow card for being down to 10 men for over 45 minutes. That's not a trade I'd happily make while a game is 1-0 in the first half.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â