Manchester United

BOF

8 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Imagine if Barca finished 8th, bottom of their CL group but won the Copa del Ray, do you think their manager would stay in the job? 🤣

Real Madrid have sacked managers after winning the CL before :lol: 

The thing I noticed about this United of the last few seasons is they don’t have a top striker. They always had one even relatively recently but last few seasons they just can’t attract one.

Rooney, Zlatan, Michael Owen, Cavani, Ronaldo… then nothing. It sums up the the situation to a degree for both players and managers, the upper tier of players and managers just aren’t interested so they buy players like Hojlund, Anthony, Mount and just pray for a miracle.

3 hours ago, Genie said:

Real Madrid have sacked managers after winning the CL before :lol: 

The thing I noticed about this United of the last few seasons is they don’t have a top striker. They always had one even relatively recently but last few seasons they just can’t attract one.

Rooney, Zlatan, Michael Owen, Cavani, Ronaldo… then nothing. It sums up the the situation to a degree for both players and managers, the upper tier of players and managers just aren’t interested so they buy players like Hojlund, Anthony, Mount and just pray for a miracle.

Michael Owen was not a top striker for them. Probably started 10 league games at most

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Verane has retired this week at 31 following his serious injury at new club Como.

I wonder if he and United knew he was crocked when he left them, hence no contract offer.

Nah, that would make too much sense for the current lot at United. 

If they knew he was crocked they would have offered him a 3 year deal on improved terms.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Genie said:

Interesting when you list the players in this manner… outside of Rooney and Ronaldo (mark I), they’ve just signed them for the name, haven’t they? Ibrahimovic, Owen, Cavani, Ronaldo (mark II) - did any of them really propel Man Utd forward or make them particularly better; or were they just a name?

(I think I remember Zlatan being OK, to be fair).

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Interesting when you list the players in this manner… outside of Rooney and Ronaldo (mark I), they’ve just signed them for the name, haven’t they? Ibrahimovic, Owen, Cavani, Ronaldo (mark II) - did any of them really propel Man Utd forward or make them particularly better; or were they just a name?

Zlatan did alright, Cavani was alright too. For all the claims he was finished Ronaldo mk11 scored 24 in 38 in the only full season. Not many players at any club beat that.

The point was more about a top drawer striker who has been there and done it showing the younger strikers to do it. Maybe that’s why they have RvN on the coaching staff now as it’s easier and cheaper than an active striker.

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Zlatan was near the top of the goalscoring charts before getting a serious injury

No mention Lukaku who did better than a lot of other United strikers in recent times

Those big names strikers approaching the end of the career were what triggered this united downfall. They all cost loads, offered no resale value, and ultimately didn't quite deliver what their history suggested they should. 

Yes Ronaldo scored let's, but so much of the rest of his play was to the detriment of the team. Ibrahimovic was good but got injured,  because that's what old players do. They shafted themselves in the present thanks to all of those big money failures.

Throw in the Rashford insane contracts, the old midfielders, the lack of a commanding centre back,  and that's their recipe for disaster. I can't see them qualifying for Europe this season. 

54 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

They all cost loads, offered no resale value, and ultimately didn't quite deliver what their history suggested they should. 

Man United are (or were) one of the richest clubs in the world so could afford these types of players. They were scoring goals and mentoring the younger players.

They were still decent post Fergie, it’s just this EtH era where they have really gone to shit.

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

Those big names strikers approaching the end of the career were what triggered this united downfall. They all cost loads, offered no resale value, and ultimately didn't quite deliver what their history suggested they should. 

Yes Ronaldo scored let's, but so much of the rest of his play was to the detriment of the team. Ibrahimovic was good but got injured,  because that's what old players do. They shafted themselves in the present thanks to all of those big money failures.

Throw in the Rashford insane contracts, the old midfielders, the lack of a commanding centre back,  and that's their recipe for disaster. I can't see them qualifying for Europe this season. 

The biggest sign of their downfall for me was when they binned off Andre Herrera. Ignoring all the big name players they’ve given stupid contracts to they seem to have lost the understanding that if you can control midfield you go a long way to winning a game. Even now they’ve signed Ugarte who can tackle but not pass and they’ve lauded Bruno for Hollywood passes that sometimes work but won’t keep the ball and works for himself. No one who can control the game and tempo. They seem to be frowned upon. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nicho said:

The biggest sign of their downfall for me was when they binned off Andre Herrera. Ignoring all the big name players they’ve given stupid contracts to they seem to have lost the understanding that if you can control midfield you go a long way to winning a game. Even now they’ve signed Ugarte who can tackle but not pass and they’ve lauded Bruno for Hollywood passes that sometimes work but won’t keep the ball and works for himself. No one who can control the game and tempo. They seem to be frowned upon. 

And yet, millions of morons continue to keep their coffers overflowing. They make financial losses bigger than some country's national budgets, but the revenue continues to pour in.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â