Manchester United

BOF

5 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

United were very lucky to time their rise to the top at the start of the premier league era and massively took advantage of that for 20 years.

You could say lucky, but they engineered a lot of that themselves. 
For example, I remember reading something a few years ago, at the start of the prem era, the writer ran a disabled football team, he wrote to all premier league teams asking to bring his team to the game. All teams with the exception of Utd, said no it didn’t reply. Utd invited them all in, gave them tickets, showed them round the ground, growing their fan base. They were so well run off the pitch way above  their peers. Yes lucky that the money exploded, but still pushed that themselves. 

Which makes their struggles now even funnier, as both on and off the pitch they are a shambles. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

No one who remembers how arrogant their fans were in the Fergie Era should have any sympathy.....they were simply obnoxious.

The thing is them fans are still obnoxious but in a different way

6 hours ago, Genie said:

They have to get rid of Rashford and Maguire, not just because they are shit, but because they are symbols that United is not a serious club. You can throw Casemiro into that group now as he’s clearly finished at this level.

Yes it’ll cost a shit load of money in the short term but it sends a message inside and outside of the club. It’s literally the reason SAF was so successful and pays for itself in the medium term.

SAF would have made McTominay a regular in the side and demanded everyone matched his level of effort and commitment. Instead he’s sold on, whilst the jokers are kept. Don’t forget they not so long ago offered Pogba another deal at the last minute.

They know how to fix the rot, but they don’t have the stomach to pay for it. 
They could bring in Mbappe, Bellingham and Haaland but they won’t thrive in the current environment (like Villa a few years back). The culture has to change first.

Massively agree with this, Bruno is also a problem for them aswell, puts himself about to make it look like hes trying but hes petulant and wants to play the hollywood ball all the time.

United fans arnt willing to accept what its going to take to bring them back to the top which is time, a plan, binning off their "big players" and maybe to have to drop further. 

From what I know of Urgarte hes just a midfield Martinez, hes going to get sent off and be diving into tackles. 

2 hours ago, MarkLillis said:

No one who remembers how arrogant their fans were in the Fergie Era should have any sympathy.....they were simply obnoxious.

Still are - I watched their victory at Villa park in a pub full of United fans (in Bournemouth!) and can confirm they are still as obnoxious as ever. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

The stadium is also an issue, they know they need to be putting some money aside for a major renovation over the next few years. 

I think the plan is the money for that comes out of Jim's pocket so it shouldn't impact them at all. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I think the plan is the money for that comes out of Jim's pocket so it shouldn't impact them at all. 

Is Jim really going to pony up £1b plus for a stadium? I can’t see it unless he gets more shares or something else in return.

• Like 1

The only way he pays for that stadium is if he can treat it as an investment and come for the return in 5-10 years time 

Wouldn't be surprised if he did announce proper intentions for it, mock ups etc etc loads of details at year end around the annual statement etc have a drive for more shareholders or drive the share price up, see an increase on the investment he's already made and then hit out at the blockers for his masterplan, it'll be the governments fault or the PLs fault or brexits or some other shite, anyone's but his

He's going to play the game while doing jack shit 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Ten Hag has their full backing. Hoho

He’ll scrape a couple of wins against relegation fodder and they’ll take their foot off his throat for a couple of weeks. 

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

He’ll scrape a couple of wins against relegation fodder and they’ll take their foot off his throat for a couple of weeks. 

Yeah. Must be that they couldn't replace him in the summer as there wasn't a better option. The two fellas above him have said his appointment was not their decision. It's a matter of time and best of all, keeps Man U where we all want them.

13 hours ago, Genie said:

Is Jim really going to pony up £1b plus for a stadium? I can’t see it unless he gets more shares or something else in return.

Come on now, the rich don't spend their own money.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Come on now, the rich don't spend their own money.

Exactly, no way he bought a share of United just so he could gift them the money for a new stadium. No chance.

Edited by Genie

I find them far less insufferable than Arsenal and City. I also don’t think the revisionism of their history is fair - they were elite in all respects and well ahead of everyone else in how to run a football machine.

I don’t have much against United. I do think Ten Hag comes across terribly and is blatantly the wrong guy and they’re mad to back him.

one thing that strikes me is their capitulation has become quite generational. I don’t live in a footballing part of England and so any football shirts you see tend to reflect who kids like rather than any local support. I see a lot of Inter Miami, City, Al Hilal and Al Nassr shirts. The odd scattering of Liverpool and Arsenal. Never, EVER do I see Man Utd shirts. When I was growing up everyone supported United. 

16 hours ago, Genie said:

No info on this, just my own expectation (working on the basis the stadium is owned by the club)...

• Man U will sell the stadium to Jim/Ineos for X amount
  • Goes into United's company coffers as Income (if still allowed)
  • Jim now owning the asset will renovate it (leveraging every handout, sponsorship and loophole he can to reduce his own personal expense)
  • He'll then lease it back to Man United on a chunky term for a decent little wedge per year

The club still generates astronomical numbers per year in revenue. So if his stadium increases that, then an annual fee out to him for say £25-50m or whatever would be small fry. Bit like West Ham, United will be tennant of the stadium until such time that Jim takes over the whole club and consolidates it again

3 minutes ago, _AA_786 said:

No info on this, just my own expectation (working on the basis the stadium is owned by the club)...

• Man U will sell the stadium to Jim/Ineos for X amount
  • Goes into United's company coffers as Income (if still allowed)
  • Jim now owning the asset will renovate it (leveraging every handout, sponsorship and loophole he can to reduce his own personal expense)
  • He'll then lease it back to Man United on a chunky term for a decent little wedge per year

The club still generates astronomical numbers per year in revenue. So if his stadium increases that, then an annual fee out to him for say £25-50m or whatever would be small fry. Bit like West Ham, United will be tennant of the stadium until such time that Jim takes over the whole club and consolidates it again

I reckon the fans will (rightly) be very unhappy if the stadium is proposed to be sold off and then leased back.

United raises more than enough to pay for what they need, but they want to have their cake and eat it. They want their massive income for themselves but then nobody at the club wants to pay for a new stadium, or major renovations. 

Just now, Genie said:

I reckon the fans will (rightly) be very unhappy if the stadium is proposed to be sold off and then leased back.

United raises more than enough to pay for what they need, but they want to have their cake and eat it. They want their massive income for themselves but then nobody at the club wants to pay for a new stadium, or major renovations. 

100%, which is why I see the only way these parties will agree on a way forward will be through a Lease agreement. Jim gets something tangible to say he owns and the Glazers get to put no personal money in but end up with an even shinier toy on the other side.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â