Manchester United

BOF

45 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

The bad news is Ashworth seems to really know his stuff.

The good news is no matter who United appoint or sign they always end up a car crash.

I do agree but he seems to have left Newcastle in a right mess.

10 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Yep, seems like another person who's maybe gotten too much credit for his contribution to Brighton's success (see also Potter, G.). 

Yep. Bloom the man there. Just like Benham is the man at Brentford.

Chelsea going for all the Brighton recruitment people is good stuff.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Yep, I think Utd fans' hope - however deluded - is that because he's a life-long fan that he's in it for the glory rather than the money. But I agree, ultimately, they're now being run by the head of a petro-chemical conglomerate looking to diversify its portfolio before the oil runs out. As opposed to if they'd been bought by Qatar, a nation made rich by petroleum,  looking to diversify its portfolio before the oil runs out. It's the same scheme with a different face on it.

Nah, neither of them were about diversifying away from oil. Man United are trivial financially compared to Ineos, let alone compared to the Qatari economy (!). Rich people buy football clubs for fun, they enjoy it. If they make a bit of money great, but it's not the main purpose, it's entertainment. 

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Nah, neither of them were about diversifying away from oil. Man United are trivial financially compared to Ineos, let alone compared to the Qatari economy (!). Rich people buy football clubs for fun, they enjoy it. If they make a bit of money great, but it's not the main purpose, it's entertainment. 

In recent years our scope of operations has diversified with the launch of INEOS Automotive and INEOS Hygienics, acquisition of iconic British brand Belstaff and an ever-expanding sports portfolio. 

While the country's vast oil and natural gas reserves have historically driven its rapid GDP growth, Qatar is now looking ahead to a more diversified future for its economy. Qatar's hosting of the $220 billion grand sporting event spurred tourism, with retail and hospitality also benefiting.

Saudi Arabia has successfully diversified its economy under Vision 2030. The non-oil sector has grown from 40% to 45% of the GDP, Sport used to contribute to Saudi GDP by 0.4%, now it's 1.5%

I'd argue that there are economic reasons for all of the above on top of the cultural power/cache that comes with involvement in globally popular sports and entertainment. 

I think Newcastle signed some good but not exactly surprising players, not compared to Brighton anyway, struggling to think of anyone they signed that you wouldn't say was unknown or not obvious 

Would be interesting to see how much involvement he has with chasing branthwaite for £70m cos you need a top class DOF for that but if he pulled in Yoro + another CB, say one of these two Portuguese CBs for £70m combined you'd take your hat off to him 

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

20 million compensation. Goes towards PSR too.

Heard today, they are heading for a double figure points deduction if they don't start doing some selling.

It would be a wonderful day to see them fall foul of the rules and get a big points deduction. But something tells me this will never happen to them.

2 hours ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

I'd argue that there are economic reasons for all of the above on top of the cultural power/cache that comes with involvement in globally popular sports and entertainment. 

Of course there is some cultural power in state involvement, but you also need to remember that a] (part-)owning a football club is not core to a chemicals business, and b] the Qatari sheikh who was bidding for the club was supposedly doing so with his own money, not as a state investment (we can believe or not believe that as we like, but they were keen to say it clearly, probably not least because it would have caused issues with their state ownership of PSG). 

There may be some ancillary benefits but it won't the primary motivation for either bidder, that will have been fun and status. 

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I think Newcastle signed some good but not exactly surprising players, not compared to Brighton anyway, struggling to think of anyone they signed that you wouldn't say was unknown or not obvious 

Would be interesting to see how much involvement he has with chasing branthwaite for £70m cos you need a top class DOF for that but if he pulled in Yoro + another CB, say one of these two Portuguese CBs for £70m combined you'd take your hat off to him 

These players are also known, its not that impressive or what his job should be

£20m compensation for a behind the scenes football guy is absolute madness.

Man United stripped back all the perks the staff used to get for a cup final and then blow £20m upfront on a bloke will also no doubt have a multi-million pound salary to work in the office. 

I bet morale is on the floor.

15 minutes ago, Genie said:

£20m compensation for a behind the scenes football guy is absolute madness.

Man United stripped back all the perks the staff used to get for a cup final and then blow £20m upfront on a bloke will also no doubt have a multi-million pound salary to work in the office. 

I bet morale is on the floor.

Exactly why I left working in the game. Day-to-day staff are “supposed to do it for the love of their club” rather than big wages that the club can afford.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, a-k said:

Exactly why I left working in the game. Day-to-day staff are “supposed to do it for the love of their club” rather than big wages that the club can afford.

It’s going back many years but a friend of mine worked at Villa and said it was awful. She was a massive Villa fan but really regretted seeing what it was like working for them.

• Like 1

I dont understand why you would leave newcastle for manure. Newcastle are on the up (watch next season no europe and they will be challenging top four next year)  while manure are a decaying club only doing  well because the PL rules protect them

Edited by Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont understand why you would leave newcastle for manure. Newcastle are on the up (watch next season no europe and they will be challenging top four next year)  while manure are a decaying club only doing  well because the PL rules protect them

Massive pay rise I reckon.

Â