Manchester United

BOF

So this Mr. Ratcliffe wants the hoi polloi taxpayers to foot the bill for a New Trafford to the sum of billions (of course, all while avoiding paying tax himself, because the poor soul doesn't have enough money), while having a tantrum about how the Elites don't get enough monopolistic power over football in this country.

Pleasant guy.

29 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

This is the kind of thing that the Premier league should be getting involved in - with Richard Masters bandying around the words "in good faith" because we've sold Tim Iroegbunam, then it's hard to see how having this tax dodging bitch deciding that democracy and sporting meritocracy isn't for him and making veiled threats about breakaways could possibly be considered as "in good faith" this is the sort of interview that should be bringing him a reprimand at least and preferably;y a punishment.

We know that won't happen of course, because Masters is a slut - but it'd be nice to see the FSA and other supporter groups, and maybe some ex-players, getting out and about and making some noise around these comments.

I really, really hope Labour put the independent regulator back on the agenda. It’s becoming untenable. Something will have to break first if they don’t do something I fear. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

I really, really hope Labour put the independent regulator back on the agenda. It’s becoming untenable. Something will have to break first if they don’t do something I fear. 

Starmer has expressed skepticism about the idea before, I would assume it's dead in the water. 

24 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Starmer has expressed skepticism about the idea before, I would assume it's dead in the water. 

Yep, I think the Tories saw the chance to get their fingers into the pie while grabbing a few votes - Starmer is a more honest brand of corporatism who wouldn't dare offend the billionaire class.

• Like 1

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

Yep, I think the Tories saw the chance to get their fingers into the pie while grabbing a few votes - Starmer is a more honest brand of corporatism who wouldn't dare offend the billionaire class.

I hope Labour do envision a more progressive regulator - we saw how badly it’s needed with the arbitrary FA Cup changes too. English football will always be self-serving until they bring in some real impartiality. Nor should it bow to the whims of the likes of Ratcliffe nor the oil states. I mean, they will. But something must change in some way. 

Just now, The_Steve said:

I hope Labour do envision a more progressive regulator - we saw how badly it’s needed with the arbitrary FA Cup changes too. English football will always be self-serving until they bring in some real impartiality. Nor should it bow to the whims of the likes of Ratcliffe nor the oil states. I mean, they will. But something must change in some way. 

If you think they will get involved in football matters, your having a laugh. They will oversee the finance, an even that will be limited, i there are a few brown envelops being passed around.

2 hours ago, wishywashy said:

So this Mr. Ratcliffe wants the hoi polloi taxpayers to foot the bill for a New Trafford to the sum of billions (of course, all while avoiding paying tax himself, because the poor soul doesn't have enough money), while having a tantrum about how the Elites don't get enough monopolistic power over football in this country.

Pleasant guy.

Big talk from a man who owns 27% of the 8th best team in the country. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Genie said:

He’s been there a while now and hasn’t actually achieved anything. All that talk of him shaking the club up and nothing has changed.

Not sure what he actually does there, the stuff about him being in charge of the football side of things straight away says to me he's not in charge of the money, he'll be on the budget that they real owners give him, he's just in charge of making sure they don't spunk it up the wall on Anthony 

He's done absolutely nothing of note so far, they still haven't appointed ashworth, they made a mess of the ETH review 

What indication is there that something has changed at utd?

None whatsoever 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Not sure what he actually does there, the stuff about him being in charge of the football side of things straight away says to me he's not in charge of the money, he'll be on the budget that they real owners give him, he's just in charge of making sure they don't spunk it up the wall on Anthony 

He's done absolutely nothing of note so far, they still haven't appointed ashworth, they made a mess of the ETH review 

What indication is there that something has changed at utd?

None whatsoever 

He’s done loads of stuff, you’re just looking at it from the wrong viewpoint. 

1) Stopped WFH for staff. 

2) Put out the begging bowl for public funds

3) Started the conversation on how the rules should always benefit Man Utd. 

4) Started the PL looking into any club that threatens Man Utd’s profitability dominance. 

5) Made their fans optimistic again thereby stopping protests against the Glazers.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ender4 said:

He’s done loads of stuff, you’re just looking at it from the wrong viewpoint. 

1) Stopped WFH for staff. 

While he works remotely from his tax haven home. 

• Haha 1

Interesting that Ratcliffe refers to the attempted breakaway as the 'European Super Club Initiative'... You can bet he's keen to revisit the possibility of an ESL, especially when his Man Utd are not getting as many favours (i.e. didn't get to sign Branthwaite for cheap like he'd expected) as he'd imagined they would. Hopefully he's just another in a long line of arrogant, rich egotists who assume they can succeed in football because they've done so in other industries. I'm guessing Ratcliffe won't be giving quite so many interviews once the honeymoon is over and Utd fans realise that he's not their saviour.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Interesting that Ratcliffe refers to the attempted breakaway as the 'European Super Club Initiative'... You can bet he's keen to revisit the possibility of an ESL, especially when his Man Utd are not getting as many favours (i.e. didn't get to sign Branthwaite for cheap like he'd expected) as he'd imagined they would. Hopefully he's just another in a long line of arrogant, rich egotists who assume they can succeed in football because they've done so in other industries. I'm guessing Ratcliffe won't be giving quite so many interviews once the honeymoon is over and Utd fans realise that he's not their saviour.

its mad how utd fans cant see him for the very successful businessman that he is

man utd are a cash cow, he's an investor 

he might put a different spin on it than the glazers (as in he might actually try and spin it whereas the glazers don't care) but their end game is exactly the same, he's a rich man who is going to make himself even richer at their expense

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

its mad how utd fans cant see him for the very successful businessman that he is

he might put a different spin on it than the glazers (as in he might actually try and spin it whereas the glazers don't care) but their end game is exactly the same, he's a rich man who is going to make himself even richer at their expense

Now do our owners!

He’s supposedly a Man U fan at least isn’t he?

Edited by LondonLax

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yep, I think Utd fans' hope - however deluded - is that because he's a life-long fan that he's in it for the glory rather than the money. But I agree, ultimately, they're now being run by the head of a petro-chemical conglomerate looking to diversify its portfolio before the oil runs out. As opposed to if they'd been bought by Qatar, a nation made rich by petroleum,  looking to diversify its portfolio before the oil runs out. It's the same scheme with a different face on it.

Edited by oishiiniku_uk

14 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Now do our owners!

He’s supposedly a Man U fan at least isn’t he?

our owners are absolutely no different, I'm under no illusion about it

should they sell tomorrow they've probably already made a profit on their overall investment and that's before pocketing whatever they take out of villa each year for themselves (which our accounts probably declare?)

Jim will be the same but something tells me when he does finally put his own hand in his own pocket to finally spend some money on the training ground or OT it will come with the news that they've already commissioned the statue thanking him

• Like 1

Â