Manchester United

BOF

3 hours ago, Xela said:

His wages were ridiculous at Man Utd - £375k p/w. 

If he's prepared to take a big reduction then there will be plenty of options. If not, I think a flight to Jeddah or Riyadh is on the cards.

I think his new contract was going to only be £200k a week (can't believe I've typed 'only' for that sum), so it suggests he's wiling to accept less.

3 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I think his new contract was going to only be £200k a week (can't believe I've typed 'only' for that sum), so it suggests he's wiling to accept less.

The problem he's now at best a 75k a week goalkeeper for a Brighton or Brentford.

I don't care how many clean sheets he kept last season he's not a good keeper. Still agile and capable of a flying save but mentally shot, weak, awful on the ball and makes errors and inspires zero confidence in anyone. Causes more mayhem and indecision just being there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

The problem he's now at best a 75k a week goalkeeper for a Brighton or Brentford.

I don't care how many clean sheets he kept last season he's not a good keeper. Still agile and capable of a flying save but mentally shot, weak, awful on the ball and makes errors and inspires zero confidence in anyone. Causes more mayhem and indecision just being there.

There's a chance a fresh start might help him turn it around mentally.

However, there's been a few keeper's who suddenly dropped off a cliff around 30 and never seemed to recover. 

10 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Edit...somewhat he wouldn't even get a game for those teams because of his distribution.

I'm not one to go full hipster on the goalkeeper distribution. It is a huge part of the game now though and De Gea's distribution would make Guzan or goalkeepers of the early 2000s who just pumped it blush.

4 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Edit...somewhat he wouldn't even get a game for those teams because of his distribution.

I'm not one to go full hipster on the goalkeeper distribution. It is a huge part of the game now though and De Gea's distribution would make Guzan or goalkeepers of the early 2000s who just pumped it blush.

I know you're exaggerating for effect, but the irony is that distribution was seen as one of his strengths a decade ago when the league was full of the likes of Guzan. It's just that he hasn't been able to get much better at it while the average standard across the league has soared, so now he looks dire by comparison. 

6 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

De Gea had the most clean sheets in the league last year with 17. He had 3 more than Pope in 2nd place.

He's only 32 so somebody should take a chance on him unless his wages aren't ridiculous. 

He also makes a lot of mistakes. 

28 minutes ago, Genie said:

He also makes a lot of mistakes. 

I know. I had to do that original post twice as I accidentally hid the first one and couldn't figure out how to unhide it. 

In the original I did reference his mistakes, but I still think someone could take a chance on him on a free if he's not ridiculous in his demands.

Any keeper can make mistakes (same with any defender) and going somewhere with less spotlight/pressure might help him with that.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Who would they get though? Spose they could look into Sanchez at Brighton, he isn’t getting into their team 

Onana from Inter Milan seems to be close to complete. 

9 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

There is a reason he can't make a Spain squad that isn't exactly blessed with goalkeeping quality.

In fairness could say similar about Pau Torres and his position

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

Who would they get though? Spose they could look into Sanchez at Brighton, he isn’t getting into their team 

Signing Brighton back up keeper will bring out the Norwich scarfs

Its Neuer or nothing for these clowns

God knows what they are thinking in the transfers department.

What do we need? 

A top striker and if we let De Gea go we need a new 1st choice goalkeeper.

What did we buy?

Mason Mount for far too much money and now the reserve keeper from Brighton

They also need to move on the likes of Maguire and Martial. They’ll probably be captain and vice caption at the start of the season.

:lol:

Edited by Genie

25 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

What the hell is taking so long with this takeover. The glazers really are **** them iver 😂

It's a £5billion publicly traded company. I imagine there's a lot of legal and regulatory steps that need to be done even after the bidding war is over. It must be one of the great business deals of the century, the Glazers effectively bought it for free, serviced the debt by using the club and are now selling for a monster profit. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, villa89 said:

It's a £5billion publicly traded company. I imagine there's a lot of legal and regulatory steps that need to be done even after the bidding war is over. It must be one of the great business deals of the century, the Glazers effectively bought it for free, serviced the debt by using the club and are now selling for a monster profit. 

Look how quickly chelsea did theirs though and they had a lot more interest than united have. For me it seems its the glazers trying to get as much money as they can.

If i was them id be taking the ratcliffe one as they can retain a stake. My prediction is of they qataris dont buy united they end up buying spurs instead

21 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Look how quickly chelsea did theirs though and they had a lot more interest than united have. For me it seems its the glazers trying to get as much money as they can.

If i was them id be taking the ratcliffe one as they can retain a stake. My prediction is of they qataris dont buy united they end up buying spurs instead

Something about Spurs traditional fanbase that might put Qataris off but not sure what it might be😝

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Look how quickly chelsea did theirs though

That was a very different scenario, A club recently seized from a Russian Oligarch with links to a war criminal. A fast sale was in everyone's interests. Man Utd. is traded on the stock market and the Glazers only own a % of it, the Qatari's are trying to buy it all and take it off the stock market.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Genie said:

God knows what they are thinking in the transfers department.

What do we need? 

A top striker and if we let De Gea go we need a new 1st choice goalkeeper.

What did we buy?

Mason Mount for far too much money and now the reserve keeper from Brighton

They also need to move on the likes of Maguire and Martial. They’ll probably be captain and vice caption at the start of the season.

:lol:

Mount is overpriced considering he has 12 months left but if you can get a player of that quality for 50 odd million it's a good signing. Not someone they are screaming out for but he'll be brilliant for them.

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Mount is overpriced considering he has 12 months left but if you can get a player of that quality for 50 odd million it's a good signing. Not someone they are screaming out for but he'll be brilliant for them.

He should have been more like £30m given he had a year left. United have been mugged off. He’s made a rod for his own back taking the number 7 shirt as hell get nowhere close to some of the icons who have worn it. 

Â