Manchester United

BOF

People talking about Everton for top 4.

Is it just me that would find that slightly more annoying than a bigger club like Liverpool or Spurs getting it as it shows how if we'd been better run and managed it could be us?

Spurs bigger than Everton?

You're having a laugh. 9 titles versus 2...

All in the past. We have 7 titles but arent bigger than Spurs anymore.

Spurs' fanbase dwarfs ours and Evertons, they also get more income than both of us and attract bigger name players.

I live in London and no way does Tottenham's fan-base dwarf ours. Even the majority of people in Tottenham aren't Spurs fans. Their support is mainly based in the outskirts and places like Essex and Hertfordshire but it isn't any bigger then ours.

Don't they have over 20 thousand people on a season ticket waiting list? Add those to a support which is already sold out every week at 36k and they'll leave us behind.

We have a big fanbase but apart from glory hunted clubs we must have the biggest proportion of stay away fans.

We always have. Back in the Doc days we got 12,000 one week for a league game then in a 3rd round cup game against Southampton we got 59,000. we have a huge floating fan base and if we had some sustained success year after year we could easily fill a ground of 50,000 every week. The recession hasn't helped though has it.

ib02ub5JBIMtZH.gif

They look so bewildered.

The kid is genuinely trying to compute what on earth is happening.  "This is unpossible" is going through his head.

Some interesting points made in this article.

David Moyes, just like John Major, is destined to fail

david-moyes-008.jpg

Sport is no different from politics. There is a syndrome that means it's all but impossible for one star to follow another

You don't have to be a football fan to understand the trouble with David Moyes. Anyone familiar with the highest reaches of politics will recognise his predicament immediately. For those who turn rarely to the back pages, Moyes is in his first season as the manager of Manchester United. He inherited a team that had just won yet another title as Premier League champions, but under him they are struggling. Now ninth in the league, they are a full 13 points off the top spot. What's more, Moyes has broken a few awkward records. Under him, the team have lost at home to Everton (his old club) for the first time in 21 years and on Saturday lost to Newcastle at Old Trafford for the first time since 1972. Tonight another unwanted feat threatens. If they lose to the Ukrainian team Shakhtar Donetsk, it will be the first time United have suffered three successive home defeats in 50 years.

Watch Moyes attempt to explain these results, or defend his performance, in a post-match interview or press conference and, if you're a political anorak, you instantly think of one man: John Major. Or, if you're an American, perhaps the first George Bush. For what you are witnessing is a classic case of a syndrome that recurs in politics: the pale successor fated to follow a charismatic leader and forever doomed by the comparison.

Major may be earning some late kudos and revision of his reputation now, but while prime minister he was in the permanent shadow of his predecessor, Margaret Thatcher. Bush the elder was always going to be dull after the man who went before him, Ronald Reagan. So it is with Moyes, who was given the hardest possible act to follow – inheriting from one of the footballing greats, Sir Alex Ferguson.

It's a pattern that recurs with near-universal regularity. Tony Blair was prime minister for 10 years; Gordon Brown never hit the same heights and only managed three. Same with Jean Chrétien of Canada and his luckless successor Paul Martin. Or, fitting for this day, consider the case of Thabo Mbeki whose destiny was to be the man who took over from Nelson Mandela and so was all but preordained to be a disappointment.

It's as if an almost Newtonian law applies: the charisma of a leader exists in inverse proportion to the charisma of his or her predecessor. Moyes is only the latest proof.

What could explain the syndrome? Does nature abhor one star following another in immediate succession?

One theory suggests itself, though it draws more from psychology than physics. Note the role, direct or indirect, many of these great leaders had in choosing their successors. Could it be that some part of them actually wanted a lacklustre heir, all the better to enhance their own reputation? United could have had any one of the biggest, most glamorous names in football at the helm, yet Ferguson handpicked Moyes. Did Sir Alex do that to ensure he would look even better?

For this is how it works. Once the great man or woman has gone, and everything falls apart, their apparent indispensability becomes all the harder to deny. Manchester United fans look at the same players who were champions a few months ago, now faring so badly, and conclude: Ferguson was the reason we won.

If that was his unconscious purpose in picking the former Everton boss, then Sir Alex chose very wisely. And Moyes can comfort himself that, in this regard at least – like Major, Bush, Brown and so many others before him – he's doing his job perfectly.

• Like 1

I'm an armchair fan.

I've been to more Galatasaray/Fenerbahçe/Beşiktaş games than Villa in the past two years. 

I think my last Villa game was the O'Niell return to VP. Villa 0 - 0 Sunderland, what an awful game that was.

To be fair to me, I would get a season-ticket if I lived nearer to Brum. Just can't afford that and regular travelling there from London.

Edited by Isa

It certainly means they've a massive catchment area.  But I think it's fair to say that they do have a massive fanbase too.  There's a couple of years waiting list for season tickets AFAIK.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Spurs have more people living with ten miles of their home ground than any other club in the UK. They have a huge fan base, WHL has been too small for years.

Not too sure how this proves they have a massive fanbase.

It doesn't, but you are a bit thick if you can't figure out the correlation between catchment areas and size of support.

I may be wrong but I think it's certainly a case of there being no smoke without fire regarding van Persie and the rumours of his restlessness.

Moyes will be given time and he will get it right at Man U.

He did try to sign midfielders in the last window but we simply don't know the circumstances why it didn't happen so it's slightly unfair to criticise that and i agree with Eames that he has been left a rebuilding job to do not only with Utd's midfield but also their defence.

I know quite a few Man U supporters and although they're a little unerved at the moment not one of them has asked for Moyes head as they all realise what needs to be done with their team.

I don't mind Moyes but it looks to me as though he's lost the players already.

Should ship a few out and bring in his own men, or else he's done for.

guillem balague was on last week(im not a fan of his really the smug word removed) but he said that he has been told Moyes knows that he needs to bring in 8 new faces for his 1st team alone which is not really surprising as RVP, Rooney, Carrick and De Gea maybe the kid Januzaj are only players that are Man United quality at the moment.

shocking that Jonny Evans is their best defender and he was a laughing stock 2 seasons ago

so Morpheus its ok for United to give Moyes time but not for you to give Lambert time when we only 3 points behind them :o

I did crack a smile at that post myself.

Morpheus seems more leniant with united's manager than he is with ours.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Spurs have more people living with ten miles of their home ground than any other club in the UK. They have a huge fan base, WHL has been too small for years.

Not too sure how this proves they have a massive fanbase.
It doesn't, but you are a bit thick if you can't figure out the correlation between catchment areas and size of support.

I figured it out alright so no need for the thick part, it doesn't prove the overall point. Not going to carry this on as its the wrong topic.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â