Manchester United

BOF

Don't agree. Utd are unravelling at pace under Moyes. He's probably wiped about $200m off their book price already. Only one man can stem this. He'll be back in some guise that's a certainty. 

He is still on the board at the club

Wow, people are talking about who is going to take over after Moyes gets sacked? That was fast...

Did anyone actually think they were going to win all of their first matches? Sure they are a few points behind, but looking at their next few games one can tell they are going to be exactly where they want to be in a few months. Besides, the only bad game they have had this season was away to Man City, when they lost to Liverpool they were the best team for 85 minutes and deserved something out of the game. Moyes will be given leeway and benefit of the doubt, he is there for the long-haul and not just a season. Odds are that Moyes will be in this league far longer than Jose Mourinho, who of course would have been the ideal candidate in the short-run.

People are underestimating the squad United actually have. A few weeks ago Liverpool were suddenly contenders for the title, then they drew Swansea and lost at home to Southampton. Those were results far weaker than what United did away to Liverpool and away to City. If Moyes had lost at home to Soton there would be pitchforks out in the media and so on.

Some clubs have no patience what so ever, like Chelsea and Man City. They hire new managers all the time and spend obscene amounts of money, clearly taking the climate in a very wrong direction. Then you have top clubs like Arsenal and Man Utd who thrive under stability. Yeah, Arsenal haven't exactly won many trophies the last 10 years, but they haven't had the same financial opportunities like the rest and they have always undermined the league cup. We can't tell for sure what is going to happen at United with a new manager, but do you really think their board expected immediate results under Moyes? They have had the same successful manager for almost 30 years, all empires have to rebuild and rise up again, something they are very enlightened about. No manager at United would keep their job if they finished 12th, that goes without saying, but why would that happen here? All the top teams have lost already this season, City even lost 3-1 away to Cardiff and Arsenal lost to last years' 15th best club in the country.

Moyes is basically written off after 5 games. They now have WBA (h), Sunderland (a), Southampton (h), Stoke (h), Fulham (a) in their next five games, do anyone believe they will still be 8th after 10 games?

I think it's great that managers like Moyes, Rodgers and Martinez get their deserved chance. For some reason their reputation at the former club carries on to the next one, I mean, why would Martinez necessarily let in tons of goals just because he did it at piss-poor Wigan? Everton are 6th and their defensive unit has been pretty good so far, even though they play with high risk. They have had 3 clean sheets in five games I think. Same with Moyes, he finished two points ahead Liverpool last year with Everton, and now suddenly he is NOT going to do that with Man Utd? Having world-class players in his team instead of Osman, Anichebe and Pienaar?

Writing off teams after five games is insane. I guess many United-fans would have wanted Mourinho at the helm, and in the immediate future he would have given them a trophy or two, but he would never be at the club in 5 years and that's why they hesitated from picking him IMO.

Wow, people are talking about who is going to take over after Moyes gets sacked? That was fast...

:D

Did anyone actually think they were going to win all of their first matches? Sure they are a few points behind, but looking at their next few games one can tell they are going to be exactly where they want to be in a few months. Besides, the only bad game they have had this season was away to Man City, when they lost to Liverpool they were the best team for 85 minutes and deserved something out of the game.

Yep it has already been said that they'll probably get at least 13pts from their next 5 games and be sitting pretty. But it has also been said that this will be a slightly false position because it glosses over the 6-pointer games which in my view are crucial to their title ambitions and also quite revealing in how Moyes copes with the better sides and better managers in the league. And as for them being the better side in their league game against Liverpool for 85 minutes. I completely disagree. They had loads of the ball in completely ineffective areas. It is their impotence that would worry me. Liverpool handled United easily. United couldn't break them down and never really looked like doing so.

Moyes will be given leeway and benefit of the doubt, he is there for the long-haul and not just a season.

I truly hope you're right.

People are underestimating the squad United actually have. A few weeks ago Liverpool were suddenly contenders for the title, then they drew Swansea and lost at home to Southampton. Those were results far weaker than what United did away to Liverpool and away to City. If Moyes had lost at home to Soton there would be pitchforks out in the media and so on.

But hold on a sec. The very salient point here is that United get judged to a much higher standard than Liverpool. United win leagues. Liverpool finish 6th. The fact you're even starting to put both of their sets of results side by side would be a worrying development for a United fan. United should quite rightly not care what Liverpool do at home to Southampton. Yes Liverpool's cockups were weaker, but if they break the top 4 this season it'll be an excellent season for them. At the absolute very least, United expect Champions League football every single season.

Some clubs have no patience what so ever, like Chelsea and Man City. They hire new managers all the time and spend obscene amounts of money, clearly taking the climate in a very wrong direction. Then you have top clubs like Arsenal and Man Utd who thrive under stability. Yeah, Arsenal haven't exactly won many trophies the last 10 years, but they haven't had the same financial opportunities like the rest and they have always undermined the league cup. We can't tell for sure what is going to happen at United with a new manager, but do you really think their board expected immediate results under Moyes? They have had the same successful manager for almost 30 years, all empires have to rebuild and rise up again, something they are very enlightened about. No manager at United would keep their job if they finished 12th, that goes without saying, but why would that happen here? All the top teams have lost already this season, City even lost 3-1 away to Cardiff and Arsenal lost to last years' 15th best club in the country.

It's impossible to comment on what United will or will not do. On one hand they've had a unique situation for a generation where they've had a manager they've never had to replace. They've also got owners who have never had to hire a manager or have their patience tested in terms of results on the pitch. We can't cite precedent with them and say United tend to give managers a chance, because the Glazers have never had to. Plus the game has moved on from when Fergie was struggling, not to mention United have moved on. You only have to look at other sides of the stature of Man Utd. The norm is to have a 3 year cycle but only if you're successful. If you aren't, then you're gone and the next guy comes in and is expected to be successful straight away. Them's the expectations. These sides can't afford to languish for a season or 2 in the hope of maybe 'doing a Fergie'. Fergie was a one-off and if United think that giving Moyes 4 years to flounder while trying to replicate the Fergie formula then they're in for a shock.

Moyes is basically written off after 5 games. They now have WBA (h), Sunderland (a), Southampton (h), Stoke (h), Fulham (a) in their next five games, do anyone believe they will still be 8th after 10 games?

Already covered. No they won't be 8th after 10 games. But it is the big games that will cost them. Put it this way. Those 5 games are ones they'd expect to win. What happens if they don't win them? Even as a Moyes doubter, I think United will win at least 4 of those. But what if they struggle. A case could be made for all bar Fulham. Sunderland will have a new manager. Southampton are dangerous on their day. Stoke have settled quickly. If United continue to misfire and say they do pick up some bad results in what is supopsed to be an easy stretch then the murmurs of discontent will reach new levels.

I think it's great that managers like Moyes, Rodgers and Martinez get their deserved chance. For some reason their reputation at the former club carries on to the next one, I mean, why would Martinez necessarily let in tons of goals just because he did it at piss-poor Wigan? Everton are 6th and their defensive unit has been pretty good so far, even though they play with high risk. They have had 3 clean sheets in five games I think. Same with Moyes, he finished two points ahead Liverpool last year with Everton, and now suddenly he is NOT going to do that with Man Utd? Having world-class players in his team instead of Osman, Anichebe and Pienaar?

Managers have ceilings. Moyes will get anyone 5th. It's a different mentality at the top of the league, not to mention a different level of tactical awareness. And United brought him in for what he showed at Everton so I'd say they're certainly hoping he'll carry on from what he did at Everton only at a higher level. I just don't think that he will do it to the extent that they need. He's not a winner in my view. He's a very good manager but he's not to United's calibre.

Writing off teams after five games is insane. I guess many United-fans would have wanted Mourinho at the helm, and in the immediate future he would have given them a trophy or two, but he would never be at the club in 5 years and that's why they hesitated from picking him IMO.

As said earlier. Managers at the very top sides are rarely there 5 years after being appointed and if United want Moyes there in 5 years then their slightly unrealistic aims could be their undoing. I also think the Glazers are more ruthless than you think. People are taking United's historical stability thanks to Fergie and applying it to the Glazers. They inherited that situation. We've no idea how they operate normally, other than looking at the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

I have to be honest I wasn't expecting that result. I have defended Moyes so far and I thought some people were over reacting with regards to their average start to the season, But this result perhaps means that instead of fighting for the league title like they have done for the last 20 odd years, I think they should just be happy with champions league qualification instead. 

Edited by Voinjama

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â