Manchester United

BOF

It is not just that though is it?

It's transfer dealings

It's style of play

It's atmosphere around the club - including murmours of discontent

It's goals from open play

It's manner of defeats

There's also the key point that this set of fixtures is a consecutive run of fixtures this season where it wasn't last season. By which I mean ordinarily you'd expect a reaction from one defeat going into the next game. Something you won't get by simply comparing corresponding fixtures from the previous season. It misses out the timing and the circumstances surrounding each game. Which makes this 7pt yield much worse than just 1pt worse off. It shows a lack of hunger or ability to put it right from one game to the next. Having said that, I've already said I expect they'll flat-track bully the next 5 teams and everyone will be trying to say the crisis is over.

Another thing I'd say in hindsight is that I'd also wonder just how much of an affect Moyes telling the media that they had a tough start (before they'd kicked a ball) had on the players. Fergie would never do that and while people will say 'oh players are professional, that kinda thing doesn't influence them', I'm sorry but it does. The fact is that by saying what he said, he gave the players even a miniscule psychological safety net for some bad results. He can then say 'told you we had a tough start' and the players don't get quite the bollocking they might've got. A good manager would tell the media he expected to win all of those games which would have let the players know there'll be hell to pay if it doesn't happen. Instead Moyes moaned about the order the 'balls' came out of the pot (that's the fixture computer btw David). Players are human and sports psychology is important. Moyes made a booboo there too IMV. It's just another small point in what is a growing body of work in such a small timeframe.

BOF Fergie ranted about fixtures plenty, the difference I accept is that he used it to motivate his players rather than give them an excuse as he always sort an us against the world mentality. But lets not re-write history now Fergie has gone and say he wouldn't ever moan they had tough fixtures.

Ferguson said: "I've been saying this for a few months, but our programme didn't do us any favours and I think we have been handicapped by the Premier League in the fixture list.

"They tell me it's not planned. I've got my doubts. I'm not saying what they do down there, but next year we will be sending somebody to see how it happens, I can assure you. I just don't understand how you can get the fixtures like that."

That is from Fergie in 2009

I totally agree psychology is important and there is a difference in the psychology used by the two men but lets face it, there is only one manager even remotely close on this front to Fergie and that is Jose.

Trent, BOF didn't say "Fergie never moaned about fixtures". He said (paraphrasing) "Fergie never moaned about fixtures before kicking a ball".

Note the tense in your quote. It doesn't contradict BOF. Your quote was Fergie moaning about fixtures already played (presumably in response to a question about a bad run of form).

The tense is actually the crux of my point too Levi. Fergie will tell you they were tough fixtures (probably after winning them). But going into a run of games and telling the media they're a tough run of games was just a forehead slapping moment of 'Doh!' and a pretty remarkable error of judgement by Moyes. It showed me that he already feels slightly pressured and was putting in place his excuses before he even needed them. The danger is that you then make them a self-fulfilling prophecy, psychologically speaking.

• Like 2

and who are these people, why is no one naming names. The only people who would know about his training methods are the player's, because the fans are not there when the training is happening.

Sorry - I'm eating lunch and that came across as facetious in my haste.

I'm not in a position to say who, but it's reliable.

Good enough for me.

hand_pic.JPGall-about-me-boy.jpg

Apparently Jose Mourinho Cried When He Didn’t Get The Man United Job 

There’s a headline we didn’t think we’d have to write today.

At the time, there was lots of debate as to whether Jose Mourinho was really interested in the Man United job or if he his heart had always been set on returning to Chelsea. Well, according to a new book by El Pais journalist Diego Torres, the Special One actually wept when he found Moyes had been chosen ahead of him to take the helm at Old Trafford.

The extract from Torres’ new book Preparense Para Perder (Get Ready To Lose) says Mourinho was ‘incredulous’, and shouted ‘But he’s won nothing.’ when he heard the news.

Torres says that ‘Mourinho, fed by his devoted agent [Jorge Mendes] believed that Ferguson, as well as an ally, was his friend and Godfather. He was convinced that they enjoyed a friendship of genuine trust.

‘He thought that his fabulous collection of titles, two European Cups, seven League Cups and four in four different countries, constituted an endorsement no other candidate had.’

As ESPN reports, Torres adds, ‘Those he was talking to, could hear him noisily sobbing and word spread. The most feared man in the company was crushed.’

Yeah read that earlier. Shows I wasn't the only one who thought Mourinho was next in line. It's United's loss. If they ever came calling in ... oh about a year ... he'll probably tell them to do one.

Pep was on a year off. Chelsea offered him silly money and he still insisted he was taking a break.

As BOF said, Utd have probably burnt their bridges with Jose now, if things don't pick up they'll be manager shopping again and 1 big name won't be interested.

I dont think ManUre will be manager shopping at the end of the year.They are one of the very few clubs that give their managers more than a few months to prove themselves.

Everyone says this but this is the first manager that has been appointed by the Glazers. 

I do think it's very unlikely that Moyes will be sacked but, given their last manager was Ferguson, and it would have been heresy to sack him, we don't really know what the owners are like.

I think Moyes will be given atleast 18 months to prove himself, if not more. While the club may be owned by the Glazers, much of the footballing side of the business is still overseen by directors like Charlton and Ferguson. 

There aren't any particularly stand out managers who would realistically take the job at the moment either. Both Mourinho and Guardiola have undertaken long term projects and the more established managers are fast approaching retirement age (Heynckes, Ancelotti, Capello etc). That's not to say they wouldn't be interested, but they wouldn't really be suitable as a long term appointment either.

Unfortunately for United, they absolutely missed the boat with Guardiola, their best bet may be to try and recruit Klopp when they give up on Moyes after a couple of seasons of underachieving.

Still think they will finish in the champions league places and win a cup. The big question mark over Moyes is that can he rebuild a squad like Ferguson did countless times. Ferdinand, Vidic, Valencia, Evra, Carrick, Van Persie are all getting on a bit now.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â