VillaGoMarching

Just a defence mechanisms for their season failing. Focus on their rivals also failing and it makes you feel better kinda thing.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I doubt anyone in the team would take it as support. If supporters sing “You’re not fit to wear the shirt”…who are they supporting there? Obviously not the players, but they’re supporting, who.. “the club”? Each other?

It’s at least coming from the side of wanting the team to be better. The polar opposite of what happened at Spurs last night. Some of the fans wanted to lose, and did so in a very public way, even when they had something to play for themselves.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Why?  Because calling a steward and confronting people who have a different view to you about how much they want your shared team to win is pathetic for a grown man. **** man baby is why. You (he) don't have to like it, but wanting them thrown out? Pathetic.

This. Sadly there are millions of benighted souls who don't see things the way I do (ie, correctly), but they don't need to be forcibly ejected for it. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I kinda like Ange. You certainly can't say Spurs have been bad to watch

I think a lot of Spurs fans like him in principle and accept that finishing 5th after previouly finishing 8th and selling your star player is pretty good, but the concerning trajectory of their results maybe suggests the rose is off the bloom and next season won't be the same. I wonder what scale of clearout/rebuild he's pushing for and how much he'll be indulged.

Booing your own players is just prioritising venting your own frustration vs what might actually help your team to win. It's pretty much inevitable that it sometimes happens because it's human nature, but I'm glad that at the moment we're in a situation where our fans responded to frustrating mistakes and setbacks against Liverpool positively. I think Emery's been smart to emphasise the positive relationship with the supporters and the impact it can have. There's an element of expectation management where we've been quickly trained as Villa fans to accept nervy playing out from the back, winning ugly and or periods of controlling or staying in the game without much excitement, and that if we get a poor result there will be a serious effort to respond positively

Edited by Annoyman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

They were spurs fans, so yeah, misreading. But even in your example, probably not. I've occasionally sat in the wrong end at away games and been sussed pretty much every time. Not through any overt action or words on my part, but I mean you can just tell. 90% of the time friendly chat ensued. Once I got threatened, but there was a fence in way.

Apologies Blandy. I thought they were City fans infiltrating!

• Thanks 1

I’m finding this utterly astonishing. I generally don’t subscribe to X fans are words removed because I think all fans are really. I don’t particularly subscribe to any of our own rivals being words removed as it just is what it is, they defend their own and have a go at us and we do likewise.

But Spurs fans are actually something else. Arsenal’s failure is genuinely more important to them than Spurs’ success. Ive actually never seen anything like it. 

• Like 2

It's completely reasonable for the manager and the players to be frustrated at the lack of support the team received, but if they're honest with themselves, they should be able to see that it's not inexplicable, or indicative of some wider cultural failing. Let's be honest, even if they'd received the fulsome support of everyone in the ground they would probably have lost, and even if they'd won, they still probably wouldn't have qualified for the CL with us just needing a point at Palace. If they'd been level on points with us the fans might have felt somewhat differently, and for thinking about why they weren't level or ahead of us, the players and the manager need to look at each other, not the fans. It's not the fans that led them to lose every meaningful game in the run-in. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I’m finding this utterly astonishing. I generally don’t subscribe to X fans are words removed because I think all fans are really. I don’t particularly subscribe to any of our own rivals being words removed as it just is what it is, they defend their own and have a go at us and we do likewise.

But Spurs fans are actually something else. Arsenal’s failure is genuinely more important to them than Spurs’ success. Ive actually never seen anything like it. 

Scary isn't it, I could never put someone else's failure ahead of our success. Baffling really

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s at least coming from the side of wanting the team to be better. The polar opposite of what happened at Spurs last night. Some of the fans wanted to lose, and did so in a very public way, even when they had something to play for themselves.

It could be argued that Spurs supporters taking a pro citeh stance is a comment from them to the affect of “Hey, we’re doing this because we don’t have a horse in the title race ourselves…this criticism will be displayed thusly…”. Maybe this pro citeh stance is them essentially saying “Why aren’t we in the title race? Let’s be better.”

Now ok, people might find spurs thinking they should be in a title race as fanciful, but supporters of all clubs are somewhat fanciful.

As has been pointed out, Spurs have been reasonably present in the champions league over the recent years, so qualifying for it this season would never mean as much for them as it does for us. Hence why they may feel any support is a little bit more open to interpretation, let’s say. What they had to play for mattered more to us, than it did them. I don’t think anyone can argue otherwise.

What would have made it more interesting is if Spurs had never qualified for the champions league previously or at least been away from it for ten years…how they might have reacted then.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

58 minutes ago, Annoyman said:

I kinda like Ange. You certainly can't say Spurs have been bad to watch

I think a lot of Spurs fans like him in principle and accept that finishing 5th after previouly finishing 8th and selling your star player is pretty good, but the concerning trajectory of their results maybe suggests the rose is off the bloom and next season won't be the same. I wonder what scale of clearout/rebuild he's pushing for and how much he'll be indulged.

Booing your own players is just prioritising venting your own frustration vs what might actually help your team to win. It's pretty much inevitable that it sometimes happens because it's human nature, but I'm glad that at the moment we're in a situation where our fans responded to frustrating mistakes and setbacks against Liverpool positively. I think Emery's been smart to emphasise the positive relationship with the supporters and the impact it can have. There's an element of expectation management where we've been quickly trained as Villa fans to accept nervy playing out from the back, winning ugly and or periods of controlling or staying in the game without much excitement, and that if we get a poor result there will be a serious effort to respond positively

Yep broadly agree. As a neutral I'd watch their games every single time over Man. City games. Also coming in when they were 8th and had just sold Kane...we saw how us finishing 11th and selling Grealish messed us up for 18 months.

I think however they'll massively struggle with their style of football next season and having Thursday-Sunday. This season they played THREE cup games. Ourselves and Newcastle had played more than that by the end of September so not a good sign for them if they hit the wall around March which is what their results suggest. They haven't just had a run of narrow defeats but been very soundly beaten in most games. We've seen that type of run continue into the next season many times.

Posted (edited)

I think that Postecoglou has been too naive in the way that he's interacted with the media this season, so he's created this situation for himself to some degree. But when you can hear your own fans sitting behind the dugout shouting for the team to lose, then I think it's fair enough for Ange to think 'what kind of tinpot club have I joined exactly?' So I have a small amount of sympathy. It's all very enjoyable to watch from fourth, though!

Edited by oishiiniku_uk

3 of the last 4 managers have pretty much called out the club and ambition of playera, board or fans, Conte and Mourinho elite coaches

Its hilarious how they are the ones who get the criticism for being right.

Welcome back Ryan Mason soon for another spell in charge

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

To be fair he's lost the last 5 out of 6 so not the best results for the end of a season challenging for 4th.

We only won 2 of our last 7 / 3 of our last 10 league games so we left the door slightly open for them.

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

3 of the last 4 managers have pretty much called out the club and ambition of playera, board or fans, Conte and Mourinho elite coaches

Its hilarious how they are the ones who get the criticism for being right.

100%, and they all can’t wait to get out of there too.

I wonder if Son will follow Kane out of the club in pursuit of trophies / CL football.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Genie said:

We only won 2 of our last 7 / 3 of our last 10 league games so we left the door slightly open for them.

Yep, but both times this season that they've had a run of games against tough opponents they've completely fallen apart (lost 4 out of 5 in Nov/Dec and now 5 out of 6). We've not lost back to back league games since May last year.

Edited by oishiiniku_uk
  • Like 3

I think Postecoglou has done a good job overall, at the start of the season I don't think anyone was expecting them to challenge top four, in fact many were saying they would drop into midtable, and even that it was the begin of the end of Spurs as one of the 'top six'.

But also some of his comments just seem like excuses, he speaks of 'fragile foundations', he only notices and speaks of them now they've lot a few games to teams expected to beat them anyway, if Gerrard had said something like that as our manager there would be a riot on here, with people saying he's throwing the team under the bus

If he's referring to some of their fans wanting them to lose to deny Arsenal the title, then that shouldn't really affect them, and if he's saying it did I don't think that that's a good thing for a manager to say, as it's kind of suggesting his team has a weak mentality

Losing yesterday to Manchester City didn't cost them top four, it was taking just one point from Wolves, Fulham, and West Ham before their difficult run, knowing they had that difficult run to come

Also I watched one of his press conferences recently and some of the questions were really irritating, so I can't blame him for getting angry, and then that gets taken out of context

Ange Postecoglou has made Spurs a much more enjoyable watch compared to the previous years. Media went overboard with him after the first ten games, always thought their style of play wasn't sustainable over 38 games and seasons are a marathon not a sprint. 

Second seasons for managers can be potentially difficult for managers as teams learn how you play. Be interesting to see what happens if he hits a bad spell next season. 

Â