VillaGoMarching

31 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Arsenal Wenger wasn't exactly pulling up trees before he step out at Highbury.

Different time Different era

The games changed so much since then

Edited by Demitri_C

Postecoglou is a strange one to me, that said Spurs probably don't have as many options as they'd like to think they do. But in my personal opinion, the gap between the Scottish Premiership and the English Premier League is massive, and making the transition successfully is very difficult. I could be proven wrong though. 

Ange would be a disaster.

Not because he's a bad manager - quite the opposite with success everywhere he's been - but he plays a particular type of football that is high energy and requires each player to do his bit for the team, particularly off the ball.

That's not going to suit a lot of the players at the club (e.g Richarlison, Perisic) and takes more than a few games until it gels. He'll be given 10 games and the players, knowing that to be the case, will simply wait for him to get the sack rather than get on board.

He'd be better off with a lower table team, with smaller egos and a hunger to do better. A club like Bournemouth or Crystal Palace would suit him perfectly.

3 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Ange would be a disaster.

Not because he's a bad manager - quite the opposite with success everywhere he's been - but he plays a particular type of football that is high energy and requires each player to do his bit for the team, particularly off the ball.

That's not going to suit a lot of the players at the club (e.g Richarlison, Perisic) and takes more than a few games until it gels. He'll be given 10 games and the players, knowing that to be the case, will simply wait for him to get the sack rather than get on board.

He'd be better off with a lower table team, with smaller egos and a hunger to do better. A club like Bournemouth or Crystal Palace would suit him perfectly.

He’s got the whole summer and pre-season to get them used to his way of playing.

Personally if we were to hire him after  sacking our previous failed man person, I would be quite disappointed and it's a very underwhelming appointment.

Of course it may work but who was the last to have done anything significant in the English league after a stint at Scotland. I don't mean Rodgers or MON as they already had experience in PL before they went north.

40 minutes ago, HongKongVillan said:

Personally if we were to hire him after  sacking our previous failed man person, I would be quite disappointed and it's a very underwhelming appointment.

Of course it may work but who was the last to have done anything significant in the English league after a stint at Scotland. I don't mean Rodgers or MON as they already had experience in PL before they went north.

Lol.....Fergie.

2 minutes ago, HongKongVillan said:

Yes yes, how many years ago? 

Not that long ago. However, English football has had many a Scot or others come down and be successful. Whether as managers or as players. Just because the league is shit doesn't mean there is no quality up there that can adapt to the PL. He may turn out to be a revelation at spuds. He's very highly rated.

8 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Not that long ago. However, English football has had many a Scot or others come down and be successful. Whether as managers or as players. Just because the league is shit doesn't mean there is no quality up there that can adapt to the PL. He may turn out to be a revelation at spuds. He's very highly rated.

I guess length of years it's subjectives but 30 years plus with how football has evolved for me it's a big gap.

Apart from Fergie, I'm struggling to find anyone who started off having success in Scotland and being able to bring this across like Fergie did. My memory is bad, I can remember the likes of advocaat, and dare I say McLeish, but even you could say they weren't exactly successful. And we all know what we think of McLeish

• Like 1

I'm not sure what a revelation actually looks like for spurs, they're probably at the end or nearing the end of the 2nd biggest purple patch in their history and they have absolutely nothing to show for it

Kane winning any kind of trophy there should be considered an accomplishment and I just don't see it, bizarre how they never go for them, at least arsenal got some FA cups in whilst also "winning" 4th place, maybe that's enough... Top 7 and a cup, it would actually be something real rather than this "get them challenging again" when they never challenged in the first place

On 02/06/2023 at 13:39, stewiek2 said:

Arsenal Wenger wasn't exactly pulling up trees before he step out at Highbury.

He won a league title and a cup with Monaco. Slightly better achievement than pipping Michael Beale’s Rangers to the league.

39 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I'm not sure what a revelation actually looks like for spurs, they're probably at the end or nearing the end of the 2nd biggest purple patch in their history and they have absolutely nothing to show for it

Kane winning any kind of trophy there should be considered an accomplishment and I just don't see it, bizarre how they never go for them, at least arsenal got some FA cups in whilst also "winning" 4th place, maybe that's enough... Top 7 and a cup, it would actually be something real rather than this "get them challenging again" when they never challenged in the first place

I'd say a revelation for Spurs would be winning a trophy of some sort after years of nothing. Similar to what Villa fans will say about Emery if he wins a trophy while here. That he was a revelation after years of nothing but runners up medals. I believe we have been in 5 finals since our last trophy without a win. 

Ferguson left Scotland for Man Utd 36 years ago, so comparing him coming from Scotland to England to Ange doing the same doesn't make much sense, as completely different times and eras of football, would be the same as someone back in 1986 comparing Ferguson coming to England from Scotland as someone who did the same back in 1950 as that was 36 years previous to Ferguson joining Man Utd.

Ange might have done well previously, but it's definitely a risk by Spurs, as it's very rare a manager steps up from inferior league and does well in Premier League at a club with lofty expectations, it's actually rare that manager steps up from inferior level within in the PL and does well at a team with higher expectations never mind just from inferior league, something we've found to our cost numerous times over the last ten or so years.

The only managers I can think of that have come from inferior league and done well at big PL clubs are the above mentioned Wenger and Ferguson, but as mentioned that was a long time ago now, I didn't realize Wenger had managed in France and done well so can't really count him, and as for managers at lower levels within in the PL and stepping up to do well at big clubs I can't think of many that have done that either, maybe Rodgers and Pochettino but neither won anything,  a big reason that the succesful clubs do as well as they do is because they don't mess about with managers that might make the step up, they just go out and get ones already proven as winners at the top level.

All that's not to say Ange Postecoglou can't do well, I don't know much about him other than he's meant to be one of the nicest people in football, the football his teams play is generally regarded as scintilating, and Celtic fans speak of him in the most glowing terms - or at least they did, maybe he can buck the trend.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, useless said:

Ferguson left Scotland for Man Utd 36 years ago, so comparing him coming from Scotland to England to Ange doing the same doesn't make much sense, as completely different times and eras of football, would be the same as someone back in 1986 comparing Ferguson coming to England from Scotland as someone who did the same back in 1950 as that was 36 years previous to Ferguson joining Man Utd.

Ange might have done well previously, but it's definitely a risk by Spurs, as it's very rare a manager steps up from inferior league and does well in Premier League at a club with lofty expectations, it's actually rare that manager steps up from inferior level within in the PL and does well at a team with higher expectations never mind just from inferior league, something we've found to our cost numerous times over the last ten or so years.

The only managers I can think of that have come from inferior league and done well at big PL clubs are the above mentioned Wenger and Ferguson, but as mentioned that was a long time ago now, I didn't realize Wenger had managed in France and done well so can't really count him, and as for managers at lower levels within in the PL and stepping up to do well at big clubs I can't think of many that have done that either, maybe Rodgers and Pochettino but neither won anything,  a big reason that the succesful clubs do as well as they do is because they don't mess about with managers that might make the step up, they just go out and get ones already proven as winners at the top level.

All that's not to say Ange Postecoglou can't do well, I don't know much about him other than he's meant to be one of the nicest people in football, the football his teams play is generally regarded as scintilating, and Celtic fans speak of him in the most glowing terms - or at least they did, maybe he can buck the trend.

Erik Ten Haag has done this season, there are some stylistic similarities between the 2. 

But Ten Haag had managed in Dutch League and was already proven at Champions League level and was generally regarded as one of the most highly rated managers in Europe.

Since the Scottish League is that poor, the only way to judge managers up there is how well they do in Europe.

In that regard, Ange is about the same level as Gerrard, maybe even slightly worse.

I can understand Spurs, they are not going to get a top manager to come, they need to take a chance on somebody up and coming.

Wonder what the odds are for Ange to be the first PL manager to be sacked next season?

• Confused 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â