Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

People who stand next to me at a pedestrian crossing, watch me press the button, wait for a few seconds and then decide to give the button a press themselves even though they can see the 'wait' light is lit.

I mean why? Does your own hand contain some sort of mystical energy that causes the lights to change sooner? do you not trust your own eyes that I actually pressed the button?

people do that in lifts as well  ... I assumed everyone else in the world apart from me was in on the secret that if you pushed the floor button 20 times the lift went quicker

People who come up to a pedestrian crossing and automatically push the button, THEN look left and right and cross without waiting for the light. Then I come along and have to stop for an empty red. It is a fantasy of mine that I drive after them and run them over. Sadly I probably won't ever do that.

• Like 2

People who stand next to me at a pedestrian crossing, watch me press the button, wait for a few seconds and then decide to give the button a press themselves even though they can see the 'wait' light is lit.

I mean why? Does your own hand contain some sort of mystical energy that causes the lights to change sooner? do you not trust your own eyes that I actually pressed the button?

See much earlier in the thread, but the whole misconception that those buttons at traffic crossroads (as opposed to 'standalone' pelican crossings) do anything at all. I've walked up to them, and simply waited for the inevitable green man as the cars have to stop, and had people reach across me and press the button as if I'm an idiot for not doing so. There is no point in pressing it, it's just to make you think you have some control when you don't.

I find people who press the button repeatedly worse.

Are you all aware of the secret vibrating button under the pedestrian control box?

I thought it was a myth! But now I have to touch it every time.

Oh yes. I wasn't aware until someone mentioned it on here. I try to have a little touch when I think nobody's watching.  :ph34r:

Are you all aware of the secret vibrating button under the pedestrian control box?

The thing for blind people? I only learned about that a couple of years ago. It blew my mind.

I can't believe there are people who didn't know about it to be honest.

Really not sure if i'm falling for the largest well organised troll ever.

Either way I'm definitely putting my hand under there tomorrow.

• Like 1

you are not falling for anything at all friend, I've known about them for years and years, probably since I was about 10 or 11

the old myth when I first heard about them was that if you twisted them it made the lights change faster

crossing-push-button.jpg

tactile-cone-on-push-button-unit.jpg

tactile-cone-on-push-button-unit-2.jpg

There is secret button for blind people fitted beneath push-button units at pedestrian crossings in the UK.

The button is actually a rotating tactile knob. When the green man is displayed on the traffic light, the knob starts turning, which is a signal to a visually impaired (blind) person that it is safe to cross the road. The blind person detects the movement of the knob with their hand and starts crossing the road.

- See more at: http://todayilearned.co.uk/2011/07/25/secret-button-for-blind-people-on-pedestrian-crossings/#sthash.EzEEPphj.dpuf
Edited by leemond2008

crossing-push-button.jpg

tactile-cone-on-push-button-unit.jpg

tactile-cone-on-push-button-unit-2.jpg

There is secret button for blind people fitted beneath push-button units at pedestrian crossings in the UK.

The button is actually a rotating tactile knob. When the green man is displayed on the traffic light, the knob starts turning, which is a signal to a visually impaired (blind) person that it is safe to cross the road. The blind person detects the movement of the knob with their hand and starts crossing the road.

- See more at: http://todayilearned.co.uk/2011/07/25/secret-button-for-blind-people-on-pedestrian-crossings/#sthash.EzEEPphj.dpuf

Don't spoil the surprise!

you are not falling for anything at all friend, I've known about them for years and years, probably since I was about 10 or 11

the old myth when I first heard about them was that if you twisted them it made the lights change faster

ha ha! that's exactly what my nipper told me!

it's real, I have felt it

So I had an interview set up today, she cancelled using the email below, bear in mind we are located by RBS, HSBC and the Marriott. Although going by her spelling its a blessing. I also did give her directions, mentalist.

Hi,

Sorry, but I will have to cancell our meeting. I would fear for my life and comromise my personal hygine according to the scum and smears on the bannistars along the train station if I had to work in this area as a base. I am petite, blonde and apparently posh looking. A target. You didn't offer parking directions but would not leave my borrowed car from my sister near this area.

Sorry to let you down but that is the where I am at.

Thanks for the opportnity anyway.

Regards,

Ooh, we're very close Houlston, I'm looking at the Marriott from my window right now (...that's a lie, i was looking at my keyboard)

Five Ways? 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â