Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

We do our banking on these things, and as we move away from passwords, for pretty much any login, you'll also be confirming your identity on your phone more and more. In many ways it will become more important than your house or car keys.

Keep your phone for as long as you want, but if it no longer gets security updates, you're leaving yourself vulnerable to be, frankly, rinsed. 

Buying a new phone, because your current one no longer gets security updates, is becoming a bit like renewing your insurance; a right faff, really bloody tedious, spending money you don't want to spend, on something that's pretty much indistinguishable from your current one, 'just in case', but the consequences if you don't are devastating. It's just something you have to do. Humbug.

4 minutes ago, Anthony said:

We do our banking on these things, and as we move away from passwords, for pretty much any login, you'll also be confirming your identity on your phone more and more. In many ways it will become more important than your house or car keys.

Keep your phone for as long as you want, but if it no longer gets security updates, you're leaving yourself vulnerable to be, frankly, rinsed. 

Buying a new phone, because your current one no longer gets security updates, is becoming a bit like renewing your insurance; a right faff, really bloody tedious, spending money you don't want to spend, on something that's pretty much indistinguishable from your current one, 'just in case', but the consequences if you don't are devastating. It's just something you have to do. Humbug.

This is the Samsung Android way though...

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

Not me, work, 500 at a time. Has to be Android.

Whole thing is silly

There are lots of other Android phone makers

Pay a bit more and get phones which cost less over their lifetime.

48 minutes ago, Anthony said:

On this point I was pondering the other day about how goosed would I be if my phone was lost or stolen, particularly if abroad, like I’d have no way of paying for anything or contacting the bank to tell them…etc. So I did some things. Set up additional security on the phone, keep cards separate from phone, update second phone to be more of a duplicate of main phone, rather than just what it was, which was almost a kind of travel/work/burner type thing that did the basic job of receiving making calls. I know how to increase the security on an iPhone, but android not so much, so that one has been donated and I’ve now got 2 iPhones, but it’s a massive faff to mitigate against a hopefully never happens case.

• Like 1

Price of “other brand” Android phones are crazy now for the high specs. I see them on hotukdeals all the time. £700+ for an “Oppo”, “Poco” or an “Honor”. Even Xiami. Big companies in china but for that sort of money you’d want a household brand surely?

Edited by Genie

28 minutes ago, Genie said:

Price of “other brand” Android phones are crazy now for the high specs. I see them on hotukdeals all the time. £700+ for an “Oppo”, “Poco” or an “Honor”. Even Xiami. Big companies in china but for that sort of money you’d want a household brand surely?

It depends what the brand locks down or opens up in the OS. Each manufacturer is different. Samsung itself locks down different things in different phones. There really is no uniformity with Android.

Never assume that if you can do something with one Android phone that you can do it on all the others with the same OS, you may not be able to.

11 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

I get as long as I can out of each iPhone and then upgrade when it’s completely dead.  Recently went from an 8 to a 15.

Cant be arsed to learn any other phone interface, I’m used to iOS and I find it perfectly functional.  It’s just a device with apps that I can take photos on at the end of the day. 

Same here. Just gone from an 11 to a 15. So I take it you’ve had the massive shit show that is switching from a lightning lead to the USB C one? Made even more annoying when you have AirPods that still need lightning.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2024 at 16:51, Genie said:

Lots around here like this

the-average-uk-couple-v0-el719pyx5x0c1.j

Usually asking in the neighbourhood fb group for a cleaner, a gardener, someone who does ironing.

I’ve genuinely no idea how they afford to be so **** lazy.

The other week I bought something off FB marketplace, and had a nose at the sellers profile beforehand. The photos didn’t look too far off that drawing. A ‘trendy’ couple, lots of photos of recent holidays and a photo of 2 Land Rovers on the drive. I turned up expected it to be some really nice road, but the house was next door to 3 blocks of council flats (and I mean, the flats were on the same road, literally next door) with a load of young kids playing around a load of broken trampolines on some grass, and a few groups of ‘gang’ looking types over the road. 

I quickly went from feeling jealous of the people I was buying off, to being happy I have a cheap car but a much nicer house in a lovely road.

/snobbery

• Like 4

On 12/10/2024 at 15:09, blandy said:

I did once put gravy on some sort of muffin thing at Wembley as @tonyh29 will no doubt recall. I thought the muffin thing was a mini pie, or maybe it was the other way round and I put chocolate sauce on a pie. Whatever, it wasn’t as delicious as you’d think.

that and you deleting a thread from the site have long been erased from my memory  .. i never mention either of them :D 

• Thanks 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â