Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

All this Barclaysman shit, started off ok as lighthearted name dropping of Zoltan Gera or whoever, but then people started taking it too seriously, and I find it hard to see much importance in an era defined by a random bank that happened to be sponsoring football. Are we going to get all nostalgic about Ray Winston gambling ads one day

The level (or utter lack thereof) of basic I.T. competency (and I am not exaggerating when I say basic, borderline simpleton stuff) of people in 2024 is genuinely **** frightening.  I should not have to take 15 minutes to explain to someone being paid £50k+ how to remove data validation they've accidentally added to one cell in Excel.  Sure, people don't know what they don't know, but where is **** impetus to spend 5 seconds Googling the answer yourself?  I used to think this was a generational thing, but it's Twenty-Twenty-Bloody-Four, this stuff isn't new!  To be honest, it's more the total lack of self-solving for simple bloody things.  It's maddening.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

The level (or utter lack thereof) of basic I.T. competency (and I am not exaggerating when I say basic, borderline simpleton stuff) of people in 2024 is genuinely **** frightening.  I should not have to take 15 minutes to explain to someone being paid £50k+ how to remove data validation they've accidentally added to one cell in Excel.  Sure, people don't know what they don't know, but where is **** impetus to spend 5 seconds Googling the answer yourself?  I used to think this was a generational thing, but it's Twenty-Twenty-Bloody-Four, this stuff isn't new!  To be honest, it's more the total lack of self-solving for simple bloody things.  It's maddening.

I'm pretty shit at excel (and logical thinking, which Excel seems to only work with), but I'll always try to google the issue before I ask someone.  It has tripped me up on live calls in the past though. 

39 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

I used to think this was a generational thing

I think it is. It used to be the case that did the most part, the olds didn't know shit about modern tech (obviously with some really big exceptions- they were the generation that invented some of this stuff, but I'm talking mainstream consumers), while young adults and teens were raised on computers and had a decent idea how they worked.

Phones and modern computers have been so simplified and locked down (again, generalising the mainstream, don't @ me, Linux boys) over the last 10-15 years that younger generations haven't got a **** clue, though. Again, there are exceptions, but some of the recent grads I've worked with have been as bad as pensioners, if it's not an iPhone app, they're clueless.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

The level (or utter lack thereof) of basic I.T. competency (and I am not exaggerating when I say basic, borderline simpleton stuff) of people in 2024 is genuinely **** frightening.

I received a PDF this morning that had clearly been printed out from a digital template on a computer, then put into a photocopier to turn it into a PDF. Yes the person didn't even manage to put the document in the scanner straight

This person has the power of arrest, not only that they are in charge of other people with that power

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I received a PDF this morning that had clearly been printed out from a digital template on a computer, then put into a photocopier to turn it into a PDF. Yes the person didn't even manage to put the document in the scanner straight

This person has the power of arrest, not only that they are in charge of other people with that power

It is a shame that there is not one reaction emoji to cover everything, because I am all at once shocked/sad/confused and laughing at this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

Like @lapal_fan I'm basic at MS Office, but will always have a go and look on Youtube to see if there are guides on how to do things. 

I managed to do a pivot table the other day. I was well chuffed! :D 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bickster said:

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

I used to think this was a generational thing

Why learn stuff anyone. These are the words of VT favourite Kerry Katona, about her kids schooling

"We've got Google and AI now, so I don't understand why they need to learn geography and other pointless subjects?”

ponteverga-einstein.gif

• Haha 1

Which has just given me another thought; of all the members of Atomic Kitten you could hire for your adverts, why wouldn't Iceland go for the one with Frost in their name?.  World's gone mad.

23 minutes ago, Xela said:

Like @lapal_fan I'm basic at MS Office, but will always have a go and look on Youtube to see if there are guides on how to do things. 

I managed to do a pivot table the other day. I was well chuffed! :D 

I've just progressed from VLOOKUPs to XLOOKUPs.

Game changer I tell ye.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As someone who spends a considerable amount of time looking at scanned documents, there are few things more infuriating than scanning errors.

Upside down scans. 

Scans of bad printouts of old bad scanned photocopies that are basically illegible.

Scanned in backwards order.

Alternating blank plages.

And for the true connoisseur, alternating upside down pages.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Which has just given me another thought; of all the members of Atomic Kitten you could hire for your adverts, why wouldn't Iceland go for the one with Frost in their name?.  World's gone mad.

Natasha Hamilton has 5 kids by 5 different blokes. Thats got to be a record?

Woman in the coffee shop loudly making business calls. Give it a rest love, no one is interested in sales pipelines, forecasts and objectives! Its Friday and there is a pug in the corner licking his own bollocks that is more entertaining. 

Reminded me of this

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Xela said:

Woman in the coffee shop loudly making business calls. Give it a rest love, no one is interested in sales pipelines, forecasts and objectives! Its Friday and there is a pug in the corner licking his own bollocks that is more entertaining. 

Come off it !! All you sales words removed stick together ! I bet you got a twinge in your pants when she mentioned CRM, forecasting models and data cleansing and NOT from watching said pug self-abluting.

Presume this wasn't in town. Mate ?

• Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â