Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Is that legal?

I’m not fully across all the details. Landlord is a div who doesn’t allow any changes to the property and does all he can to not spend any money on the upkeep. On that basis, I’m presuming it’s him that’s the barrier but it could just as easily be difficulties with the layout of the building. With the actual meter in an inaccessible place, it might just as easily be about that. 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

the fact it’s an apartment makes me even more suspicious of the fact maybe the electricity usage is going somewhere else.

Has it been like this ever since she moved in, or did it happen at a point in time @choffer?

She was on a fixed price deal for the first 18 months so consumption wasn’t an issue. It’s only been in the last year that usage has been an issue. We turned everything off when we went away for a long weekend a couple of weeks ago and there was zero usage so I think the earlier suggestion that it’s an aged immersion heater battering the leccy that’s the most likely cause. 

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Yep, I wonder does the landlord live 'close by' 🤔

Australia, apparently. 

Anyway, the original reason for raising it was to highlight what a bunch of nob heads British Gas were given how little interest they’ve shown in helping resolve the issue. She’ll be chuffed to see how much interest her electrical appliances have got from the VT massive though. ;)

One final snippet in relation to her building, x-ray spex recorded their video for the single “Identity” in the building before it was refurbed. No indication of how much electricity they used though. 

17 minutes ago, Genie said:

I lived in a small flat when I was 19 and the meter was in the flat. I’m surprised it is not accessible.

Both flats I've lived in, the meters haven't been in the flat. 

My first one (I'd guess a 70s block) it was in the cupboard under the stairs in the communal hallway

My current one is outside in a meter shed (one for @sidcow there)

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, choffer said:

She was on a fixed price deal for the first 18 months so consumption wasn’t an issue. It’s only been in the last year that usage has been an issue. We turned everything off when we went away for a long weekend a couple of weeks ago and there was zero usage so I think the earlier suggestion that it’s an aged immersion heater battering the leccy that’s the most likely cause. 

The price per unit would be capped but it could be still be a very high bill. It would be interesting to see how many units of electricity were used on the old tariff versus the new one. 

My 4 bed house, with 2 kids who have TV’s, xbox’s, tablets, phones, me and the wife both work from home full time and our electric bill is only about £70 a month (plus about £65 of gas).

20 minutes ago, choffer said:

She’ll be chuffed to see how much interest her electrical appliances have got from the VT massive though. ;)

Have a word, will you.

'Look I know you can afford it, but the lads on VT are obsessed and won't stop asking me'

Send me the address, I'll be down with a multimeter and a wall scanner. :D 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, bickster said:

Is that legal?

If prepayment meters aren't involved, then very much no:

To summarise, a landlord can’t refuse a smart meter if a tenant’s name is on the energy bill and they’re the ones paying for it. After all, there are certainly more benefits than drawbacks to having a smart meter installed on your property. With a decrease in annual spending on energy, and an increase in the protection of the planet, installing a smart meter is a positive! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Anthony said:

If prepayment meters aren't involved, then very much no:

A key point:

If your tenancy agreement says you need your landlord’s permission to alter metering at your property, they should not unreasonably prevent it.

What couldn't as 'unreasonable' for the purpose of objecting to a meter replacement in the property? You may have to risk the legal fees to find out, and if (probably when) you win, it's not exactly going to be a great relationship with the landlord. I'd sooner move out than push the point even if you'd probably win.

Also that 'unreasonably prevent' phrase. as far as I can tell, comes from a page on Ofgem's website, rather than a statute or case law, so I'm not sure it's particularly enforceable if a landlord argues the toss

Trying to find a 4K monitor for a friend to buy, so thought I'd look at Amazon, to see what's available around the budget, then look for reviews and make a suggestion/choice. Amazon's search/sorting is abysmal. Search for "4k monitor" and whilst you do get some 4k monitors, you get a whole load of crap that either isn't 4K, or isn't even a monitor. I then click to sort by "price - low to high" and that's also all over the place. Actually, there are two places where you can sort results. Maybe they cancel each other out? Whatever the reason, the end result is it's unusable.

UkIcfth.jpeg

There are people paid to do this, yet they don't, but still keep their jobs. How is this possible?

Amazon has always been diabolical to use. It shouldn't be that difficult to find the 'popular item' for any general item, but now it's more of a nightmare than ever. Especially since they've been invaded by generic Chinese companies offering knock offs of everything with names you can't even make sounds out of.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Amazon has always been diabolical to use. It shouldn't be that difficult to find the 'popular item' for any general item, but now it's more of a nightmare than ever. Especially since they've been invaded by generic Chinese companies offering knock offs of everything with names you can't even make sounds out of.

Not cheap anymore either. Wanted some garage shelving. Found it cheaper in Halfords.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Especially since they've been invaded by generic Chinese companies offering knock offs of everything with names you can't even make sounds out of.

Some hilariously ill-advised product names. 

61LHnGC8gPL._AC_US218_.jpg

Screenshot_2024-09-09-12-42-57-65_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

Edited by mjmooney
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Also that 'unreasonably prevent' phrase. as far as I can tell, comes from a page on Ofgem's website, rather than a statute or case law, so I'm not sure it's particularly enforceable if a landlord argues the toss

I’m not sure the landlord would be able to argue any material damage occurred to his property when the tenant leaves. I don’t see any point in informing the landlord prior to leaving. Then it’s down to arguing the toss with the deposit scheme and there’s no way the deposit scheme are going to agree with the landlord over having a smart meter fitted.

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Some hilariously ill-advised product names. 

61LHnGC8gPL._AC_US218_.jpg

Screenshot_2024-09-09-12-42-57-65_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

One I saw the other day, a saw by a company called CQWLKEJ. That's not a pronounceable word, I can only assume they've run out of viable jumbles of letters and are left with stuff that, with the right font, at a glance looks a bit like a name or, well, word.

My tenent has just refused to pay the rent because the fridge keeps needing to be defrosted manually (fridge is not part of the rent/tenancy), the water bill is excessive, an apparently, the flat is one of the most expensive in the building, so can I reduce the rent, even though they have been there 14 months. 

I think they have been listening to Labour to much.

26 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

My tenent has just refused to pay the rent because the fridge keeps needing to be defrosted manually (fridge is not part of the rent/tenancy), the water bill is excessive, an apparently, the flat is one of the most expensive in the building, so can I reduce the rent, even though they have been there 14 months. 

I suppose the question then is, do they have a point? Are they correct?

31 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Who owns the fridge?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Is there a water meter?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â