Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Pre sat nav, I was following an intricate set of directions to a job, that included the line ‘left at the temporary traffic lights’.

Reader, I did not arrive at that job.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Then try getting a license for one...

From memory it's controlled by local councils and they don't always talk to each other but there's proper calculations on it all in the UK, you can't close a road if there's another road closure along certain routes and of course the big services boys on the council contracts get all the best slots 

one of my projects on the Tyburn road (the land rover showroom if anyone knows it) was delayed because we couldn't get a road closure to do the bellmouth because they had closed the Queensway tunnel in town 

Funnily enough we were driving down the road in Menorca yesterday. A work crew was at the side of the road with a single cone warning a couple of meters in front. 

We had a laugh saying about in the UK they'd need hundreds of meters of cones and probably close the whole lane with temporary lights. 

I added that they'd probably just rocked up and started work, whereas in the UK they'd have needed months of applying for permits. 

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Then try getting a license for one...

From memory it's controlled by local councils and they don't always talk to each other but there's proper calculations on it all in the UK, you can't close a road if there's another road closure along certain routes and of course the big services boys on the council contracts get all the best slots 

one of my projects on the Tyburn road (the land rover showroom if anyone knows it) was delayed because we couldn't get a road closure to do the bellmouth because they had closed the Queensway tunnel in town 

Can you speak to your boys on M6 dynamic hard shoulder on why it takes a year to do a bit of digging, lay some tarmac and whack up some cameras please.

Places I regularly drive:

M42 south, miles and miles of roadworks all the way down to the M40

A5 West, miles and miles of roadworks all the way to Lichfield.

All HS2 related, for **** years. No wonder it’s costing hundreds of billions. There’s also never anyone seen to be doing any work either. 

• Like 2

You build a road out of a recession...you tie huge infrastructure projects in to stimulating the economy, everywhere is the same 

Myth that you do any speed you like on the autobahn, you can't go more than 5km without hitting roadworks 

On the permits, I've only ever done them for sites so things like bellmouths or connections or needing to put a crane out there, I would guess that services and roadworks come under different rules or at least have better ins with the people who sign the permits off, me working for a regional contractor wanting a road closed for 2 weeks doesn't sit in the same pile as Balfour Beatty wanting a motorway closed for 2 years on a highways agency project but for the likes of me they definitely run a calculator trying to work out your average Joe's waiting time at temp lights 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

We had a laugh saying about in the UK they'd need hundreds of meters of cones and probably close the whole lane with temporary lights. 

I added that they'd probably just rocked up and started work, whereas in the UK they'd have needed months of applying for permits. 

Thank God for Brexit and freedom from all that EU red tape, eh? 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

That's for all the "I'm in Menorca" humblebragging :P 

Good job he wasn’t in Majorca tbh, flash floods and missing Brit tourists

• Shocked 2

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Places I regularly drive:

M42 south, miles and miles of roadworks all the way down to the M40

A5 West, miles and miles of roadworks all the way to Lichfield.

All HS2 related, for **** years. No wonder it’s costing hundreds of billions. There’s also never anyone seen to be doing any work either. 

I do this five days a week, from Jnc 10 to Jnc 4.

You can drive normally from 10 to 9 then it's 50mph all the way to 5, then from 5 to 4 the roadworks have finished but it's been 60 mph virtually every day.

Mind numbing.

And what's with those overhead message boards on the M42???

"Reports of debris".

"Reports of pedestrians".

And the best one "reports of cyclists". WTF?

I've yet to see any of the above.

I think there is some asshole in a control room putting stuff up there just for shits and giggles.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Working in international construction I can tell you it's crazy how more strict h&s is in the UK, we're way ahead of the continent, 10+ years ahead

• Like 3

Yeah, would be interesting to see the construction worker death rate here vs some other country where you can work in the road using one cone.

The trouble is, you don’t have to be hit by a car, you can be hit by the stone that flew up at 60mph because of the proportion of selfish arsehole drivers that think driving slowly at roadworks doesn’t apply to them.

Sorry your husband died on the motorway love, but had we installed proper safety measures and only worked when there was less traffic, Trevor from Warwick would have been inconvenienced in his attempt to break his record for getting to the designer village outlet in under 20 mins.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Yeah, would be interesting to see the construction worker death rate here vs some other country where you can work in the road using one cone.

The trouble is, you don’t have to be hit by a car, you can be hit by the stone that flew up at 60mph because of the proportion of selfish arsehole drivers that think driving slowly at roadworks doesn’t apply to them.

Sorry your husband died on the motorway love, but had we installed proper safety measures and only worked when there was less traffic, Trevor from Warwick would have been inconvenienced in his attempt to break his record for getting to the designer village outlet in under 20 mins.

In my experience the people who bitch about roadworks are the same ones that bitch about potholes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

This has just blown my mind, I'm an idiot and never thought of this.

Not that I speed through areas with roadworks, but if I'm honest, up until now only because of the speed cameras.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Hopefully be all sorted for when I retire to Benidorm! 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

In my experience the people who bitch about roadworks are the same ones that bitch about potholes. 

Pot holes tend to take about 30 minutes to repair. 

15 minutes ago, Genie said:

Pot holes tend to take about 30 minutes to repair. 

Sure, if you're just patching. Never as effective as a full resurface. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Sure, if you're just patching. Never as effective as a full resurface. 

This.

The road outside where we live is one and a half miles long and it was completely resurfaced, took about three weeks in all of pain-in-the-arse detours just to get home.

But now it's brilliant.

Unfortunately, it's a country lane but the speed limit is a ridiculous 60mph, which encorages some of the locals to treat it like the **** Nurburgring.

• Like 2

I drive quite a bit to be fair. An I can tell you there is a 50 mph limit and road works going on every motorway at the moment. M5 past Worcester, M6 Coventry, M6 Mancester, M42, M40, every f*****ing motorway. Put a couple of random speed cameras around and change the speed limit from 50mph to 60mph to 50mph back to national speed limit, back to 50mph every mile or 2, raise some much needed cash for the roads, what a **** up.

An as for 60 mph for air quality on motorways, what a load of boll***s!!

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â