Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

My gripe is the number of adverts that now showing black/mixed-race people (which is a positive change) but...  then proceeding to have them singing/dancing, looking confused/stupid or generally acting like ****heads.

Not sure if it's just me seeing something that's not there but every time I see the Aldi advert for example where the guy ends up dancing with his son as if he's MC Hammer.  Why do we need that? If the only way you'll put minorities in the adverts is to make them look stupid, then don't bother. Probably sound like a right grump but it just doesn't sit right with me

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Apples are far superior to bananas. Your office is full of weirdos.

Depends on the Apples. If they were Pink Lady's then I'm sure they'll go quickly but standard braeburns, granny smith or golden (not so) delicious would invariably be left behind.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villarule123 said:

This this this. 

I go into a topic hoping for some actual news or an opinion of a player or employee of the club, but nah, it's just a photo of Morgan Rogers from twitter giving a thumbs up to the camera. Then there will be the exact same photo a few hours later only posted by somebody different on twitter 'Morgan Rogers. That's the tweet.' 

I think this website would be so much better if Twitter was banned on here. Hell, with the cesspit it has become under Musk and many people on here deleting their accounts on there, it would be a nice stand against it from VT anyway. 

Or, rather than banning X, ban the sort of person that doesn’t understand how to use it.

Why would you ban twitter from the cheery tweets thread, or stop peeps posting links to music stuff, or interesting maps, or historical dates?

If a few individuals are repeat offenders posting crap you don’t like, I guess we can either ban entire sections of the internet for everybody, or you can pop them on your ignore list. It’s a tricky one.

Guns don’t kill people, rappers do.

31 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Or, rather than banning X, ban the sort of person that doesn’t understand how to use it.

Why would you ban twitter from the cheery tweets thread, or stop peeps posting links to music stuff, or interesting maps, or historical dates?

If a few individuals are repeat offenders posting crap you don’t like, I guess we can either ban entire sections of the internet for everybody, or you can pop them on your ignore list. It’s a tricky one.

Na just ban X, I'm not on it and the X posts always require a visit to X to get the full story. Musks obviously brought it to further his right wing politics born from his roots.....

Ban Xitter, nah that goes against my idea of personal freedom. I’ve just taken the personal decision to remove myself from it as have lots of other UK people. I’ve gone to threads, it’s far more polite. The posts with 27 hashtags that are cross posted from other platforms look stupid, every one of those gets swiped left. I like the one hashtag per post rule, I like that the algo seems to not promote initial posts with links in and I also like that you can mute people's replies to your posts. Also the attitude of the users seems far more polite, if people come across all xittery on there, other people will come along and tell them off. It seems altogether more sane and of course right now there’s no advertising but monetisation is bound to happen.

• Like 1

People that post any sign of 111 on their whatsapp status. , The time is 11:11 every day.  Sometimes you can have 111 emails in your mailbox.  Sometimes you may have 111 miles of fuel left in your car.  It's not **** angels! 

Most of you are probably fortunate enough to not know anybody like this. 

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

People that post any sign of 111 on their whatsapp status. , The time is 11:11 every day.  Sometimes you can have 111 emails in your mailbox.  Sometimes you may have 111 miles of fuel left in your car.  It's not **** angels! 

I’ve never heard of this before, thankfully

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

There is always the block feature.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

AEn0k_ughbl-xHHaRIkq6EmSMqcsIOS66GGz8do0

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, villarule123 said:

This this this. 

I go into a topic hoping for some actual news or an opinion of a player or employee of the club, but nah, it's just a photo of Morgan Rogers from twitter giving a thumbs up to the camera. Then there will be the exact same photo a few hours later only posted by somebody different on twitter 'Morgan Rogers. That's the tweet.' 

I think this website would be so much better if Twitter was banned on here. Hell, with the cesspit it has become under Musk and many people on here deleting their accounts on there, it would be a nice stand against it from VT anyway. 

Mute the repeat offenders. I haven't been in there, so I'm not targeting any individual, but if someone repeatedly does that, I'd think that the rest of their content is equally ill considered, so you really ain't gonna miss out on anything of value.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

IMG-7305.gif

6 hours ago, Anthony said:

On the telly, or in fillums, when an actor is interacting with a receptacle of some kind, say a cup, or luggage and they're so obviously empty.

Is it so hard to put some water in coffee cup, so that actors can focus on the rest of their performance, rather than having to remember to move their arm slower, or put the cup down solidly so it doesn't roll around giving the game away? I watched a thing last night where you could even hear the hollow sound of an empty disposable cup when they put it on the table. It's such an easy and free way to improve the end result. 

And luggage - just put a book or two in it and let the actors concentrate on their scene without the additional burden of having to pretend (badly) that it's full.

This. This. 100 times this. 

It's been my biggest bugbear for years when watching film/tv. I've asked a couple of friends who are actors why this is. They've both been in telly and film and they both independently said the presumption is that if you hire an actor, they should be able to act like there's clothes in the suitcase or coffee in the cup. Despite all the evidence to the contrary, there still seems to be a belief in the industry that realism isn't important in this regard. 

7 hours ago, Anthony said:

On the telly, or in fillums, when an actor is interacting with a receptacle of some kind, say a cup, or luggage and they're so obviously empty.

Is it so hard to put some water in coffee cup, so that actors can focus on the rest of their performance, rather than having to remember to move their arm slower, or put the cup down solidly so it doesn't roll around giving the game away? I watched a thing last night where you could even hear the hollow sound of an empty disposable cup when they put it on the table. It's such an easy and free way to improve the end result. 

And luggage - just put a book or two in it and let the actors concentrate on their scene without the additional burden of having to pretend (badly) that it's full.

A video essay on this on Slate:

https://slate.com/culture/2016/05/the-empty-cup-awards-are-here-to-raise-awareness-for-an-important-tv-issue.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 03/09/2024 at 18:08, chrisp65 said:

Poster in question is on my ignore list. I can still notice that they’ve posted 8 times in a row in a thread, and I know they’re all just tweets

I've never had anyone on ignore before. I'm guessing that given the no lifer Twitter spammers on here post literally everything the moment they're posted on the AVFC twitter page, they'll also be posting about something important that's been put up, which will probably account for 5% of the posts they make from Twitter. Then you'll have people reacting to the posts saying 'I can't believe he's done that' but you won't know what it's about because you have the Twitter spammer on ignore. So ignoring them isn't the answer if that's the case? 

I dunno how to fix it, it's not my website and maybe I'm in the minority that gets pissed off with it. Maybe have a 'new news' only policy where only important tweets can be posted, not photos of players doing a thumbs up to the camera. 

Edited by villarule123

44 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

I've never had anyone on ignore before. I'm guessing that given the no lifer Twitter spammers on here post literally everything the moment they're posted on the AVFC twitter page, they'll also be posting about something important that's been put up, which will probably account for 5% of the posts they make from Twitter. Then you'll have people reacting to the posts saying 'I can't believe he's done that' but you won't know what it's about because you have the Twitter spammer on ignore. So ignoring them isn't the answer if that's the case? 

I dunno how to fix it, it's not my website and maybe I'm in the minority that gets pissed off with it. Maybe have a 'new news' only policy where only important tweets can be posted, not photos of players doing a thumbs up to the camera. 

I don’t think it’s that bad, to be honest. Yes it seems a bit ‘get a life’ from the culprit, and the pointless photos or random, uninteresting comments from Twitter users  add nothing of value, but I’ve also seen some posts where it was things like stats, or an interesting take/theory that was relevant to the topic.

As someone who tends to stay away from Twitter, I occasionally appreciate that the odd worthwhile tweet has been dropped into VT for me to see. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â