Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

2 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Fame isn't permanent though, Novello died over 70 years ago, of course he is no longer famous no matter how influential he was, very few people are sufficiently famous enough to remain famous over half a century after their death.

Also funnily enough, Stormzy won a Novello award in 2018 for Gang Signs & Prayers and has been nominated a further 3 times :lol:

The statue is (relatively) new, so why on earth they would put up a statue to someone no longer famous and then name an award after the person that is no longer famous is an absolute mystery.

Perhaps the statue should have been of whoever is currently number one on some Spotify chart for a genre I don’t follow but apparently we should all automatically just know because it’s covered on John Craven’s Newsround.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Genie said:

Over the last 10 years she’s been on loads of TV shows, hosted Love Island for a couple of years, Radio 1 DJ, shed loads of adverts. Dated the most famous grime artist for several years. She hosted this years Brit awards.

Classic VT :lol: 

What is grime? Seriously, no idea & too busy to Google 

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

The statue is (relatively) new, so why on earth they would put up a statue to someone no longer famous and then name an award after the person that is no longer famous is an absolute mystery.

Perhaps the statue should have been of whoever is currently number one on some Spotify chart for a genre I don’t follow but apparently we should all automatically just know because it’s covered on John Craven’s Newsround.

Because statues get put up all the time to celebrate peoples achievements particularly if there's some local attachment to them, doesn't mean they're still famous after they're dead. Also the awards were named after him 70 years ago, when he would've still been famous.

William McGregor has a statue at VP, I'd argue anyone who's interested in football should know who he is, but realistically they don't and to think he was famous in the 21st century is preposterous even if he has a statue. I'd also guess that Charles III is more famous than either Charles I or Charles II even though knowing that Charles is the third by definition means acknowledgement of Charles' I and II. Fame is instrinsically about modern perception, hence the phrase fame is fleeting.

Stomzy may not have a statue (yet, I'd wager he'd get one in Croydon eventually) but he has the Stormzy Scholarship at Cambridge.

Posted (edited)

FWIW: I had literally never heard of this woman we were talking about until today, when she came up in this thread. I'm not even sure I remember the name even now. Jam something? 

Stormzy, however, I had definitely heard of. But that's all. I know he's some sort of rapper. Possibly British? Dunno. Couldn't name a song or an album by him. Couldn't pick him out from a photograph. Never heard about the stab vest thing until this thread. 

Doesnae  matter, anyway. 

Edited by mjmooney

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

FWIW: I had literally never heard of this woman we were talking about until today, when she came up in this thread. I'm not even sure I remember the name even now. Jam something? 

Stormzy, however, I had definitely heard of. But that's all. I know he's some sort of rapper. Possibly British? Dunno. Couldn't name a song or an album by him. Couldn't pick him out from a photograph. Never heard about the stab vest thing until this thread. 

Doesnae  matter, anyway. 

I only know Stormzy because of something associated with Ronaldo. IIRC he met Ronaldo and cried like a baby 🙄

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m not trying to be a dick in any way, I’m not ‘arguing’. But we clearly do have very different definitions of famous.

I’ve just walked past a statue of Ivor Novello. By definition a famous person, they’ve bothered with a statue. I personally would argue more famous than anyone that appeared in series 7 of Big Brother.* Would people on a High Street in Staffordshire agree with me? I don’t know and I don’t consider it relevant. 

* random example, for all I know there is no series 7.

I honestly have no idea how this relates to anything I was saying. Obviously I’m not explaining myself very well so I’ll bow out

I believe Stormzy is more famous than Ivor Novello, as Ivor is dead.

This is great news for Suzi Quattro, but will be disappointing for Cleopatra.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

I only know Stormzy because of something associated with Ronaldo. IIRC he met Ronaldo and cried like a baby 🙄

Fairly sure you’re thinking of IShowSpeed

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Mvhcab.gif

• Haha 1

I bought a new hob for the kitchen. Fancy induction one. It came with a moulded 13 Amp plug. That’s great, right? Just plug it in. Er, no. When I fitted the old hob 20 years ago, it didn’t come with a plug, so I routed a long wire from the safety switch under all the cabinets I was fitting and up to underneath the hob position, put in one of those junctions and then ran another wire to the hob. So there’s no socket anywhere near the hob location. So in order to avoid voiding the warranty by snipping off the moulded plug, I’ve had to fit a socket under the hob. Swapping the hobs over has gone from a 15 minute job to about 3 hours, because of convenience of modern kit. And the new hob is just a tad deeper than the old one, so tomorrow I’ve got to take it back out, and cut away about a centimetre of mdf inside the drawer cabinet thing.

F*** me.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, blandy said:

I bought a new hob for the kitchen. Fancy induction one. It came with a moulded 13 Amp plug. That’s great, right? Just plug it in. Er, no. When I fitted the old hob 20 years ago, it didn’t come with a plug, so I routed a long wire from the safety switch under all the cabinets I was fitting and up to underneath the hob position, put in one of those junctions and then ran another wire to the hob. So there’s no socket anywhere near the hob location. So in order to avoid voiding the warranty by snipping off the moulded plug, I’ve had to fit a socket under the hob. Swapping the hobs over has gone from a 15 minute job to about 3 hours, because of convenience of modern kit. And the new hob is just a tad deeper than the old one, so tomorrow I’ve got to take it back out, and cut away about a centimetre of mdf inside the drawer cabinet thing.

F*** me.

Is that a square 4 burner induction hob. 

I've been looking at one, a larger oblong size one, and they seem to need their own dedicated ring circuit. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â