Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Not accusing anyone here, but I suspect often on VT people take pride in not knowing who very very famous people are. It's a bit odd.

There can be a bit of that I think. But in this case she has honestly expertly moved in exactly the wrong pop culture areas for me to have encountered her at all :)

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

Who's Rylan?

Well I’ve heard of him, so you must be faking it if you haven’t. 
That appears to be how some are viewing the world.

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

When you say media coverage, what media?

Google shows the following covered the story online

The BBC, Sky News, the Independent, The Sun, The Mail, Liverpool Echo and many others. Obviously all over social media too.

I saw it on the tv news at the time but can’t remember which ones.

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It feels like a pretty easy concept to grasp, rather than presuming people are pretending, or being wilfully ignorant. It’s just there’s lots of stuff and different people consume different bits then in the Venn diagram of life they meet up on VT and some presume we all have the identical shared experience. That’s the odd take.

Like I said, I wasn't accusing anyone, and if I was it certainly wouldn't be you, so you don't need to be so defensive.

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s bafflement that because one person reads The Mirror, or follows Rylan on TikTok, or listens to news that has music playing in the background so you don’t switch channels, or watches the one show, there’s a presumption EVERYONE must be in the same place.

I don’t presume everyone watches Waldemar Januszczak on BBC 4 giving practical examples of how impressionist painting was executed. I don’t presume everyone knows the output from Bubblewrap’s twitter account.

As for this, there's an obvious difference. Waldemar Januszczak isn't one of the most famous TV Presenters or popstars in the country. So it's a really terrible comparison

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Well I’ve heard of him, so you must be faking it if you haven’t. 
That appears to be how some are viewing the world.

Yeah I was faking it tbf

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

There can be a bit of that I think. But in this case she has honestly expertly moved in exactly the wrong pop culture areas for me to have encountered her at all :)

Yep I wasn't specifically commenting on Maya Jama to be honest.

But on VT you often feel there's a clamour of people diving in to proudly claim that they don't know who that incredibly famous person is and take great pride in saying it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But on VT you often feel there's a clamour of people diving in to proudly claim that they don't know who that incredibly famous person is and take great pride in saying it

Yeah I know. That's what I was referring to.

• Like 1

I don’t watch or listen to anything Maya Jama is on. I don’t read newspapers or magazines and I don’t frequent The Daily Mail online and I have heard of her and could pick out in a line up. You are just a contrary bunch of bastards. This is like a reverse Bonnie Raitt. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep I wasn't specifically commenting on Maya Jama to be honest.

Not sure how you can interpret PRIDE from a post about not knowing who someone is.  I suspect they're just stating that they don't know who someone is.  Maybe if they wrote a gloating 3 or 4 paragraphs about it. 

But there is just a whole lot of pop culture that is unknown to a big proportion of VT and rightly so as they're not the demographic being targeted by such individuals.  I don't think you need to jump to conclusions about why they don't know them or they're proud about it.  

I know a lot of stuff I probably shouldn't because I have teenage/early 20's kids so you absorb stuff.  Same as I used to know a lot of kiddie TV stuff 15 years ago and now don't have a clue about stuff @mjmooney  knows now because he's got grandkids.

It would probably be more weird to have late middle age blokes knowing all about a lot of pop culture stuff to be honest.  They would be the odd ones.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Not sure how you can interpret PRIDE from a post about not knowing who someone is.  I suspect they're just stating that they don't know who someone is.  Maybe if they wrote a gloating 3 or 4 paragraphs about it. 

Yeah, this bit in particular I struggle with. People are just saying 'nope, not heard of them' - I don't see the pride aspect at all.

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

But there is just a whole lot of pop culture that is unknown to a big proportion of VT and rightly so as they're not the demographic being targeted by such individuals.  I don't think you need to jump to conclusions about why they don't know them or they're proud about it.  

I know a lot of stuff I probably shouldn't because I have teenage/early 20's kids so you absorb stuff.  Same as I used to know a lot of kiddie TV stuff 15 years ago and now don't have a clue about stuff @mjmooney  knows now because he's got grandkids.

It would probably be more weird to have late middle age blokes knowing all about a lot of pop culture stuff to be honest.  They would be the odd ones.

I'm not saying people not knowing who some people are is weird. Of course it isn't. I'm not saying people are making it up :D

I was saying the clamour on here to tell everyone you don't know who a really really famous person is is a bit odd. That's all.

• Like 1

Just now, Designer1 said:

Yeah, this bit in particular I struggle with. People are just saying 'nope, not heard of them' - I don't see the pride aspect at all.

Yeah.  As I said earlier, I've 'heard' of her in the sense that I've heard her name mentioned on the radio/ online, but don't know anything about her beyond that. Wouldn't be able to pick her out of a line up.  

Now stormy I am aware of, for various reasons, but especially his closeness and advocacy of my man Jez. 😍

I skip past those pages in The Guardian. I only buy it on Saturday, and I read the sports pages and the book reviews, maybe the travel. Do the crossword. Stuff about pop culture, nope. 

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I skip past those pages in The Guardian. I only buy it on Saturday, and I read the sports pages and the book reviews, maybe the travel. Do the crossword. Stuff about pop culture, nope. 

I read specific Guardian articles on line, usually via being posted on twitter.

So the Guardian I’m reading is Gaza and UK politics and art and architecture.

Which brings us around to that whole ‘Twitter is a cess pit’ thing again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I read specific Guardian articles on line, usually via being posted on twitter.

So the Guardian I’m reading is Gaza and UK politics and art and architecture.

Which brings us around to that whole ‘Twitter is a cess pit’ thing again.

I do follow the beeb's online news site, and that does cover a whole range of 'news' and also some popular culture stuff, which I usually skip past.  But it does explain why I might know of some pop culture names without knowing anything more about them.  

Basically, we pick and choose what we're interested in, so not knowing who someone like Maya Jama is , would not be a big surprise, other than saying, "yes, I've heard the name".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jon said:

I do follow the beeb's online news site, and that does cover a whole range of 'news' and also some popular culture stuff, which I usually skip past.  But it does explain why I might know of some pop culture names without knowing anything more about them.  

Basically, we pick and choose what we're interested in, so not knowing who someone like Maya Jama is , would not be a big surprise, other than saying, "yes, I've heard the name".

Yep, I’m using the BBC online news.

What I might have just realised, is I’ll see a story headline and click on it.

I will not be clicking on their headline about Strictly Come Dancing. I will not bother clicking on the article from ‘Newsbeat’. I won’t bother reading about Jermaine Jenas.

They don’t appear to have a current story about Mama Jama.

45 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Waldemar Januszczak isn't one of the most famous TV Presenters or popstars in the country. So it's a really terrible comparison

Different demographics again. He's MUCH more 'famous' to me than ANY popstar/DJ/model. The numbers are irrelevant. As someone said upthread, the nature of VT (being a Villa fan being the only common denominator, otherwise a huge range of ages, nationalities, tastes, etc.) produces an easily drawn venn diagram. 

56 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

As for this, there's an obvious difference. Waldemar Januszczak isn't one of the most famous TV Presenters or popstars in the country. So it's a really terrible comparison

But he is, you are confusing your areas of knowledge with universal knowledge.

Not every famous dancer is currently on Strictly. Not every famous musician is a Spotify algorithm.

You can be known in your own field that not everyone is familiar with.

I’d be confident there are ‘famous’ tattoo artists that are revered for what they do and have a waiting list. Me not knowing them doesn’t mean anything. There are people that are famous in the VW Drag Racing community, that famous tattooist may never have heard of them or even know people race VW Beetles.

It’s not a terrible comparison, it’s exactly what the issue is. ‘Your’ world is not ‘the’ world.

I’m fascinated people can’t get that.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â