Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

18 hours ago, bobzy said:

Some people like gravy on fish. Some people like drinking piss.

It’s a weird world 🤷🏻‍♂️

In for a penny, in for a pound. It’s got a different name now, the pub, but The Pickwick Arms (as was), by work, used to serve a cracking pint of Carling. It was like a completely different thing to how it tasted everywhere else.

That said, before m’fish, chips n’gravy I’d have a real ale every time.

The true taste test is how bearable it is warm at a festival.  Haven't touched Carling since in my wisdom I bought a crate for Glastonbury in 07.  The final third of the can is completley undrinkable.  Vomit inducing.

It's also a measly 4% (as is the ikes of Foster and standard Carlsberg).

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Peroni and Moretti are far nicer than Carling. I'm not a beer snob, in fact beer snobbery really pisses me off. I like fizzy lager so **** everyone with their pale ales and gingernut flavoured microbrewery shite

It's simple taste. They're way nicer

Yep, Asahi is way dryer than Madri, and most lagers in my experience

I find the likes of Peroni and Moretti taste more like fizzy water to me or at least do have a different taste to the other lagers on the market.  I didn't realise until the other day that Madri isn't even Spanish and made by the same people as Carling but I'd rather drink that than the Italian brands.  I've just spent a few nights in Berlin and the lagers and pilsners over in Germany are my favourite.  I really love a dunkel lager too.

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

I find the likes of Peroni and Moretti taste more like fizzy water to me or at least do have a different taste to the other lagers on the market.  I didn't realise until the other day that Madri isn't even Spanish and made by the same people as Carling but I'd rather drink that than the Italian brands.  I've just spent a few nights in Berlin and the lagers and pilsners over in Germany are my favourite.  I really love a dunkel lager too.

Each to their own. Everyone’s taste will differ. 

The main point I was making was that lagers do taste different. Peroni and Moretti taste different to Carling and fosters

Asahi tastes significantly different to Estrella

etc

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Each to their own. Everyone’s taste will differ. 

The main point I was making was that lagers do taste different. Peroni and Moretti taste different to Carling and fosters

Asahi tastes significantly different to Estrella

etc

Wise man once say.  All piss have different flavour.

• Like 1

madri is just san miguel with a new label isn't it?

but returning to the UK a few times a year there is a noticeable influx of "new" "foreign" beers, personally I've always thought pubs do it along with price increases, they change from san miguel to madri and the price also jumps by 50p a pint and no one notices, id say from the spanish beers for me personally there's not a great amount of difference between SM, madri and estrella, not tried this new sevilla (?) beer and if you can get the bottles estrella galicia is the best

fosters and carling is piss, they ruined stella, moretti 100% stands out as different IMO and is my weapon of choice, out of all the newer ones poretti is rank, staropramen has a bit more about it and is great on tap

helles is a summer drink, dunkel is a winter drink - something else to factor in, some beers are sunshine beers

maybe ruined by corona but mexican beers should be easier to get, sol is a nicer summer bbq beer and modelo is a contender for the top spot, not a clue how every other beer has made it over and that hasn't

and one for the wonder thread - whatever happened to kronenbourg? 

one thing you might notice....there's a **** lot of beer out there!

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

but returning to the UK a few times a year there is a noticeable influx of "new" "foreign" beers, personally I've always thought pubs do it along with price increases, they change from san miguel to madri and the price also jumps by 50p a pint and no one notices, id say from the spanish beers for me personally there's not a great amount of difference between SM, madri and estrella, not tried this new sevilla (?) beer and if you can get the bottles estrella galicia is the best

fosters and carling is piss, they ruined stella, moretti 100% stands out as different IMO and is my weapon of choice, out of all the newer ones poretti is rank, staropramen has a bit more about it and is great on tap

helles is a summer drink, dunkel is a winter drink - something else to factor in, some beers are sunshine beers

maybe ruined by corona but mexican beers should be easier to get, sol is a nicer summer bbq beer and modelo is a contender for the top spot, not a clue how every other beer has made it over and that hasn't

I didn't really think I was a lager snob until recently in this thread (👀)...!

Asahi is my personal preference; it's good on tap but I genuinely don't think anything comes close in bottled form.  It's so refreshing.

I'd probably happily drink most lagers but would stray from Carling, Fosters and Carlsberg.  I usually go for IPA/NEIPA anyway because I'm a hipster ****.

11 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I didn't really think I was a lager snob until recently in this thread (👀)...!

Asahi is my personal preference; it's good on tap but I genuinely don't think anything comes close in bottled form.  It's so refreshing.

I'd probably happily drink most lagers but would stray from Carling, Fosters and Carlsberg.  I usually go for IPA/NEIPA anyway because I'm a hipster ****.

there's a place in bewdley that does it on tap, only ever seen it in 2 or 3 places

personally i prefer kirin ichiban but would say thats a bit more traditional whereas like you've said asahi does stand out as different from the norm

i have to be in the mood for an IPA, if its a 2 or 3 pint relaxed one then i can do it but if its a heavy 7 or 8 session i'll go lager - again like the weather, how much im drinking determines what i drink

agree i wouldnt go carling, fosters, carlsberg, id drop on to cider before i drank them

Edited by villa4europe
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

You should use the little plus button in the bottom left of the quote and you can add them both to your reply

Yes, but I wanted the timestamps and "Steves" original quote to both, it got to messy so pic was better in this case. (Boring thread, sorry)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think there’s a cycle for foreign lagers. 

They pop up as the trendy new foreign lager, then they become more and more popular and eventually become the norm and then a new foreign lager pops up and repeats the cycle. 

Peroni used to be the trendy foreign lager, now everyone drinks it. Then Moretti popped up and has done the same. Now it might be madri or whatever and the cycle continues. 

• Like 2

Big companies buy up little companies or make stuff under licence.

In the first instance the product may change? In the second instance they're rarely the same anyway.

That goes for Cadbury or Kronenbourg.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

They pop up as the trendy new foreign lager, then they become more and more popular and eventually become the norm and then a new foreign lager pops up and repeats the cycle. 

Peroni used to be the trendy foreign lager, now everyone drinks it. Then Moretti popped up and has done the same. Now it might be madri or whatever and the cycle continues. 

Yep, I've been talking about this. They start with a really expensive, exclusive premium image, then they gradually slip down the chain.  They're probably all just the Carling Black Label of their country.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

yeah, i do find it interesting (!) every now and then to go down the wiki worm hole of who actually owns different beers and breweries, seems like the big guys are constantly buying the little guy and churning out different stuff

madri is coors, they also have staropramen, prava which is staropramen's more lager-y brand (and never seems to have taken off) carling which im not sure anyone knows how its still going and cobra

16 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

It's all about 'Spanish' lagers at the moment.

Madri, Cruzampo, Mahou.

Where exactly in Spain does Madri originate from?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Where exactly in Spain does Madri originate from?

according to wiki its brewed in burton with some input from the original spanish brewery that coors aquired

40 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

It's all about 'Spanish' lagers at the moment.

Madri, Cruzampo, Mahou.

and yet the best one Galicia hasnt come over other than in bottles

It's actually starting to depress me how many pubs are ripping out their real ale beer engines for the tidal wave of "craft" beers. 

I've seen a 25 year period where Birmingham went from being a virtual real ale desert to most pubs stocking it completely undone in just a couple of years.

Even bastion real ale pubs like The Old Royal and The Trocadero have fallen by the wayside. 

We all know why as well. The bar owners can't be arsed with the extra work to maintain the beer. rocket polishers. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

and yet the best one Galicia hasnt come over other than in bottles

Yeah meant to mention that.  I do like Estrella Galicia, first had it in Spain about 6 years ago.

Saw it sold on draught for first time on Saturday actually and was supping it watching the Villa game.

Cool pint glass too...

Estrella Galicia Pint Glass

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â