Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

1 hour ago, Jon said:

I drink pretty much  all ales and beers/ ciders,  including some lagers. 

Each have their merits. 

But I draw the line at Fosters. 🤣

I do like a decent lager. Thornbridge do a nice one called Lucas.  

This. I’m omnibeverous too. Pub, real ale. Summer beer garden, maybe a lager. Occasional change is Guinness. Home bottles of Steinlager with spicy food, or maybe some other interesting beer from around the world.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BOF said:

On a related note about being pissed off with beer. I was at the AC/DC concert in Croke Park the other day. That was very cool. What wasn't cool was the alcohol situation. It was 'a Guinness gig' which meant you could get nothing other than Guinness or their interpretation of lager - Rockshore, which is practically indistinguishable from Budweiser (the American one, not the Czech one). So it's basically alcoholic fizzy piss water (the Guinness was only available on the ground floor and I was 7 floors up).

Now ... it was €7.00 for a 330ml can. That's bad enough at a rip-off ~€12 a pint. But Ireland is doing a recycling thing at the moment where you pay extra for every bottle and can, and you get that deposit back when you recycle/return it. So Guinness were charging the extra 15c deposit. But then the customer had no way of reclaiming that 15c. So your drink was now €7.15. And then the bar staff would take the can, and guess who can then claim the 15c back. Guinness can. So they were getting €7.30 for every drink = €12.56 per pint.

Even for a gig, that was **** rich 🤬

eurgh. Rockshore was my bag beer last time i went out golfing. Its bad enough when its cold but once those bad boys started warming up it was 🤮

17 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Seems a good time to quote this. 

but, but, it tastes like piss… quick grab me a Moretti to wash away the awful taste 😁

3 hours ago, bickster said:

You are playing with fire here. It is thought that Gracie Fields was the first person to call it that in the 1920s

Gracie Fields... you just can't dis Gracie Fields, it's like shooting an arrow into the heart of Britishness.

IMG-0569.gif

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mic09 said:

That's like saying Mercedes is the German Kia. Kia is a cheap car, but Mercedes is cool and it's the same thing.

There are levels to it. 

Peroni is good; carling is not. 

I'm confused. Is Kia better than Mercedes or not?!

I'd rather have a Kia 

I'm a social chameleon with drinks :)  Went out twice after work last week

1) Three pints of lager in the cheapest pub in Brum, The Railway. 

2) Four pints of various ales in the marvellous Prince of Wales, a cask ale haven.

I'm happy with anything really!

The lager I had was Madri and Asahi. Was there a difference in taste? Yeah, marginally. Not enough to make a difference though. 

In a blind taste test, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between most lagers

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Xela said:

The lager I had was Madri and Asahi. Was there a difference in taste? Yeah, marginally. Not enough to make a difference though. 

Again, there’s such a big difference between them! 😳

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xela said:

I'm a social chameleon with drinks :)  Went out twice after work last week

1) Three pints of lager in the cheapest pub in Brum, The Railway. 

2) Four pints of various ales in the marvellous Prince of Wales, a cask ale haven.

I'm happy with anything really!

the-middle-sue-heck.gif

I mentioned this mundane story before but I was in the Alb in Shrewsbury, sat waiting for a train having a drink, me at table, barman pottering about behind the bar.

A bloke in his 50’s comes in, straight to bar “Do you do Carling?”

Barman says no, but proceeds to name all the beers they have on tap. Plenty of familiar lager brands. Nothing that’s going to scare anyone off.

The guy stands there, mulls it over, taps the bar with his fingers in thoughtful contemplation, then says “Nah I’ll leave it.” Then walks out without another word.

Barman and I exchange mildly bemused looks, he goes on with his bar work while I carry on with my non Carling drink.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, bobzy said:

Moretti or Peroni actually taste decent, whereas Carling is **** atrocious.

I'd sooner pay £5 a pint more that touch that stuff.

Moretti and Peroni are a fine 'lager' drop if kept well. I hate to call people out, and it's all opinion, but that Wizards Sleeve IPA you've ordered in that brewhouse built under the viaduct, it's gonna taste like pish and you're gonna pay a lot of money for it. 

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, marketed harder than shit alcohol. A cold pint of Stella for £4.50 is better for the world than a £4 pint of vinegar piss with an edgy label.

Sorry about the picture, but I love it when VT produces two exact opposite of the scale truth-answers, and 3 minutes apart at that :D

i5CitSl.png

7 minutes ago, Tegis said:

Sorry about the picture, but I love it when VT produces two exact opposite of the scale truth-answers, and 3 minutes apart at that :D

i5CitSl.png

You should use the little plus button in the bottom left of the quote and you can add them both to your reply

Peroni and Moretti are far nicer than Carling. I'm not a beer snob, in fact beer snobbery really pisses me off. I like fizzy lager so **** everyone with their pale ales and gingernut flavoured microbrewery shite

It's simple taste. They're way nicer

15 hours ago, bobzy said:

Again, there’s such a big difference between them! 😳

Yep, Asahi is way dryer than Madri, and most lagers in my experience

• Like 2

22 hours ago, mjmooney said:

The variety of flavours in draught ale is much greater. I totally take @T-Dog's point about the flowery/citrus/craft beer fashion - I avoid that stuff like the plague. Unfortunately it's everywhere, and you can't always get what should by rights be the universal beer - a nice standard (3.8% - 4.4%) session bitter. Around these parts I tend to drink Timothy Taylor's. 

Thank you for making me feel less alone. That modern IPA stuff is OTT bitter and sour for me. Absolutely foul. It tastes like beer that's gone off, and It bewilders me how anyone can drink it. Give me something more malty, with a hint of bitterness every time. Spent my early drinking years in Norfolk in the late 80's. The pub I used to go to was a Greene King one, so it was Greene King IPA for a session, or Abbot for getting smashed. To this day I love Greene King IPA; the right balance of malty/bitterness, with 3.6% alcohol, and usually well kept. It still puzzles me why modern cold, fizzy, sour 'craft' IPA is so different to what I grew up with. And how people can swallow it without vomiting.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â