Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

People love to slag Carling off and then feel cool by paying £1 a pint more for Moretti or Peroni when it tastes practically the same.

One of those things that piss me off, but shouldn’t. Maybe we could have a thread for such instances.

Madri.

Absolute marketing guff invented in Burton.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

People love to slag Carling off and then feel cool by paying £1 a pint more for Moretti or Peroni when it tastes practically the same.

One of those things that piss me off, but shouldn’t. Maybe we could have a thread for such instances.

Peroni is nowhere near the same. It's one of the few (maybe the only?) italian beer that's brewed in Italy and imported in. 

It's like saying 'people love to slag McDonalds off and then feel cool for spending £5 more for a gourmet burger when it tastes practically the same'

Sure, they are all lagers so they will have similarities. But they are different. 

1 minute ago, Mic09 said:

Peroni is nowhere near the same. It's one of the few (maybe the only?) italian beer that's brewed in Italy and imported in. 

It's like saying 'people love to slag McDonalds off and then feel cool for spending £5 more for a gourmet burger when it tastes practically the same'

Sure, they are all lagers so they will have similarities. But they are different. 

It’s Italian Carling. Carling is piss, but Peroni is cool… it’s the same thing.

Just now, Genie said:

It’s Italian Carling. Carling is piss, but Peroni is cool… it’s the same thing.

That's like saying Mercedes is the German Kia. Kia is a cheap car, but Mercedes is cool and it's the same thing.

There are levels to it. 

Peroni is good; carling is not. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mic09 said:

That's like saying Mercedes is the German Kia. Kia is a cheap car, but Mercedes is cool and it's the same thing.

There are levels to it. 

Peroni is good; carling is not. 

What makes Peroni a premium product versus Carling? They are both pale fizzy lagers with similar looks and tastes.

Mercedes and Kia are tangibly different in how they look, sound, drive, feel and perform.

The fact that you think there is some social step between Carling and Peroni confirms the point I was making. 

Just now, Genie said:

What makes Peroni a premium product versus Carling? They are both pale fizzy lagers with similar looks and tastes.

Mercedes and Kia are tangibly different in how they look, sound, drive, feel and perform.

The fact that you think there is some social step between Carling and Peroni confirms the point I was making. 

I am not implying there is any social steps between beers; I am saying one is more tasty than the other and (to some) worth that £1 extra.

All lagers are fairly similar. 

Peroni probably is a more premium product; it is more expensive and branded differently, aiming at a different audience. 

Bira Moretti is probably the 'in between'.

But Peroni is more premium than Carling; Carling is probably on par with Fosters or Stella. 

If someone wants to pay £1 extra per pint, go crazy. 

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Genie said:

Real ale fans like me can have a tendency to think all lager is much the same. I would very rarely order it in a pub unless there no draught ale available, and even then I'd probably have bottled lager (for home drinking I buy Warsteiner - bottles, never cans). Or occasionally, Guinness. 

The variety of flavours in draught ale is much greater. I totally take @T-Dog's point about the flowery/citrus/craft beer fashion - I avoid that stuff like the plague. Unfortunately it's everywhere, and you can't always get what should by rights be the universal beer - a nice standard (3.8% - 4.4%) session bitter. Around these parts I tend to drink Timothy Taylor's. 

But chacun à son goût, as they say. 

(Happy now, @sidcow?)  :)

Edited by mjmooney
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I drink pretty much  all ales and beers/ ciders,  including some lagers. 

Each have their merits. 

But I draw the line at Fosters. 🤣

I do like a decent lager. Thornbridge do a nice one called Lucas.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, T-Dog said:

Ok - I totally get the point being made here, and understand why too, and don't really disagree with it BUT in my neck of town, and being a lager drinker surrounded by a lot of CAMRA type pubs, little artisan bars selling cherry stout and all that - The safest, and tbf, cheapest place for me to get a GOOD lager is a chain pub. 

I understand the sentiment but I'd rather have a well kept lager in a Brewers Fayre than some flowery shite in an odd brewery type place that costs more money and tastes like piss and petals.

Good lager?

7a88ee62-7b2e-45a9-b94d-230d33fc6285_tex

200w.gif?cid=6c09b9524mhih0esr24alknpyw2

(apart from Pilsner)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Seeing Alexandra Palace called Ally Pally (and other such nicknaming)

IMG-0563.gif

You are playing with fire here. It is thought that Gracie Fields was the first person to call it that in the 1920s

Gracie Fields... you just can't dis Gracie Fields, it's like shooting an arrow into the heart of Britishness.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Moretti or Peroni actually taste decent, whereas Carling is **** atrocious.

I'd sooner pay £5 a pint more that touch that stuff.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Moretti or Peroni actually taste decent, whereas Carling is **** atrocious.

I'd sooner pay £5 a pint more that touch that stuff.

Most popular beer brand in the UK isn’t it? Can’t be that bad. 

On a related note about being pissed off with beer. I was at the AC/DC concert in Croke Park the other day. That was very cool. What wasn't cool was the alcohol situation. It was 'a Guinness gig' which meant you could get nothing other than Guinness or their interpretation of lager - Rockshore, which is practically indistinguishable from Budweiser (the American one, not the Czech one). So it's basically alcoholic fizzy piss water (the Guinness was only available on the ground floor and I was 7 floors up).

Now ... it was €7.00 for a 330ml can. That's bad enough at a rip-off ~€12 a pint. But Ireland is doing a recycling thing at the moment where you pay extra for every bottle and can, and you get that deposit back when you recycle/return it. So Guinness were charging the extra 15c deposit. But then the customer had no way of reclaiming that 15c. So your drink was now €7.15. And then the bar staff would take the can, and guess who can then claim the 15c back. Guinness can. So they were getting €7.30 for every drink = €12.56 per pint.

Even for a gig, that was **** rich 🤬

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

41 minutes ago, BOF said:

On a related note about being pissed off with beer. I was at the AC/DC concert in Croke Park the other day. That was very cool. What wasn't cool was the alcohol situation. It was 'a Guinness gig' which meant you could get nothing other than Guinness or their interpretation of lager - Rockshore, which is practically indistinguishable from Budweiser (the American one, not the Czech one). So it's basically alcoholic fizzy piss water (the Guinness was only available on the ground floor and I was 7 floors up).

Now ... it was €7.00 for a 330ml can. That's bad enough at a rip-off ~€12 a pint. But Ireland is doing a recycling thing at the moment where you pay extra for every bottle and can, and you get that deposit back when you recycle/return it. So Guinness were charging the extra 15c deposit. But then the customer had no way of reclaiming that 15c. So your drink was now €7.15. And then the bar staff would take the can, and guess who can then claim the 15c back. Guinness can. So they were getting €7.30 for every drink = €12.56 per pint.

Even for a gig, that was **** rich 🤬

Didn't Guinness (Ireland) used to brew Budweiser under licence?

I assume Diageo didn't want to pay for a licence and came up with their own version of insipid fizzy water.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â