Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I'm up early with my son nowadays and there's nothing much on TV so I put on sky. I think I've seen the same West Ham Spurs Tevez match about 4 times this year. All the thousands and thousands of games they must have and they just trot out the same ones.

Don't get me started on Liverpool Newcastle 4-3

I don't bother watching any "classic" match involving Villa v a Sky 6 club. Even really old ones from the 70s. You know we're inevitably going to be on the end of a tonking. 

Not in a million years for example would they show Villa v Liverpool 1976 where we won 5 - 1. A bit like our lockdown game seems to have been written out of existence. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Not in a million years for example would they show Villa v Liverpool 1976 where we won 5 - 1. A bit like our lockdown game seems to have been written out of existence. 

I'm pretty sure that there was no footage of the 1976 one.

3 minutes ago, limpid said:

I'm pretty sure that there was no footage of the 1976 one.

Like I said. Not in a million years would they show it 😁

• Haha 3

Went to Riat Air Show yesterday Fairford near Gloucester, great day. But couldn't help thinking,  the lovely surrounding villages probably doing there bit for the enviroment, with there electric cars, solar panels, cycling. Then for 3 days a year fighter jets, old military planes and flying displays hit the skys, to replace all that lovely local clean air with dirty carbon. Redering all there hard work a total waste of time. 😂

13 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Went to Riat Air Show yesterday Fairford near Gloucester, great day. But couldn't help thinking,  the lovely surrounding villages probably doing there bit for the enviroment, with there electric cars, solar panels, cycling. Then for 3 days a year fighter jets, old military planes and flying displays hit the skys, to replace all that lovely local clean air with dirty carbon. Redering all there hard work a total waste of time. 😂

Yeah, those big dirty exhaust fumes from modern jets are a bugger.

(Not disagreeing, but the problem is CO2, not "dirty carbon" and the problems it causes aren't local.)

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

45 minutes till the taxi picks us up to go to the airport I see an email from Tui cancelling our flight FFS.

Delayed until at least tomorrow but told to wait for further info. Relates to the crowdstrike failure.  

" .... that shouldn't". 

😜

But yeah, that's a real bummer. **** Microsoft. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jon said:

" .... that shouldn't". 

😜

But yeah, that's a real bummer. **** Microsoft. 

The Mrs is raging. I can’t see us going, it seems like there’s people stranded all over the world that need bringing home. 

The stories in the media say to check the tui website for updates, literally nothing on there about it. 

• Sad 1

Probably a small mercy that it at least got cancelled before you got to the airport rather than being stuck in the terminal waiting for flights that never happen like some poor ****.

I was reading about some people that had been sat in the airport in Spain for 2 days because the flights kept being rearranged then cancelled, and the airline were failing in their duty to put stranded passengers up in hotels, what an absolute shitshow. 

• Like 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

Probably a small mercy that it at least got cancelled before you got to the airport rather than being stuck in the terminal waiting for flights that never happen like some poor ****.

I was reading about some people that had been sat in the airport in Spain for 2 days because the flights kept being rearranged then cancelled, and the airline were failing in their duty to put stranded passengers up in hotels, what an absolute shitshow. 

The worry is that whilst I have an email address to me to say it’s delayed until tomorrow, it doesn’t have booking reference on it. The app still says it’s all ok.

I assume it’s because they know it won’t go out as planned, but they don’t know when it will go (if it does). 

No phone lines open all. If it turned out to be a scam we’d be ****.

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

The worry is that whilst I have an email address to me to say it’s delayed until tomorrow, it doesn’t have booking reference on it. The app still says it’s all ok.

I assume it’s because they know it won’t go out as planned, but they don’t know when it will go (if it does). 

No phone lines open all. If it turned out to be a scam we’d be ****.

Can anyone vouch that it wasn't @lapal_fan, he has form.

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Seems like it’s legit, other people on twitter in the same situation.

Tui are useless, when you need them most they shut down all their lines of contact. 

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

I got my flight to Majorca yesterday morning just fine.

That said, I found a computer terminal and uploaded Mydoom.exe to see what happened.

Oh well 😊

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Genie said:

45 minutes till the taxi picks us up to go to the airport I see an email from Tui cancelling our flight FFS.

Delayed until at least tomorrow but told to wait for further info. Relates to the crowdstrike failure.  

Hope you get it sorted with minimal ball ache, Dave 🙏

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

to see what happened.

This sort of basic curiosity about the impact of your changes would seem to overqualify you to work at Crowdstrike :) 

Tui have shit the bed here. Sent an email out saying don’t go to the airport, flight delayed a day but no time confirmed yet.

The website and the app all suggest it’s going ahead as normal.

Waited till 9am for their phone line to open. lady initially telling us that flight isn’t affected. Sent her the email and she said to follow what it says and stay home await further info. They don’t know what’s going on. From Twitter lots of people seem to be in the same boat (not literally).

Absolute shit show. 

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

Hope you get it sorted with minimal ball ache, Dave 🙏

Could be a lot worse, at least we’re at home. People stranded all over the place. 

• Like 1

It's going to be very interesting to see the post-mortems and the follow up to this.

The big failure of course is the way that one company's error is able to push out a broken update to millions of computers, and I suspect we'll be seeing some regulatory changes due to this, it's been an absolute disaster and on the face of it, exposes a complete lack of quality assurance that is all too typical of some organisations' "move fast and break things" mindset. A whole bunch of software devs like to call themselves "engineers", when they're nothing of the **** sort, there's an awful lot of cowboys in this industry, and it's far too integral to every facet of life to not require more regulatory oversight.

I think it also raises a bunch of questions for some of their individual customers. Where were the business continuity plans. Is the risk of letting a third party push changes directly into your business with no possibility for internal QA process or staged rollout really less of a risk than the risk you're trying to mitigate?

If a well-meaning but seemingly incompetent change can have this kind of impact across the world, imagine the devastation a malicious actor could achieve with that kind of attack vector, something's got to change there.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I think it also raises a bunch of questions for some of their individual customers. Where were the business continuity plans. Is the risk of letting a third party push changes directly into your business with no possibility for internal QA process or staged rollout really less of a risk than the risk you're trying to mitigate?

The Windows environment is a house of cards where you are required to go to third parties to make it barely functional. But people keep buying it. and all the required management tools, regardless of the inherent risks.

It would actually make more sense to have mixed suppliers, but Windows is so hard to manage that companies assume other environments are as bad and get scared of doubling overheads. A modern workplace shouldn't need anything more than a managed browser.

Endpoint protection vendors hate talking to me.

23 minutes ago, limpid said:

The Windows environment is a house of cards where you are required to go to third parties to make it barely functional. But people keep buying it. and all the required management tools, regardless of the inherent risks.

It would actually make more sense to have mixed suppliers, but Windows is so hard to manage that companies assume other environments are as bad and get scared of doubling overheads. A modern workplace shouldn't need anything more than a managed browser.

Endpoint protection vendors hate talking to me.

In this case I think it's slightly unfair to blame Microsoft, for a few reasons.

Firstly, Clownstrike **** up and broke Red Hat only a few weeks ago, and Debian a few weeks before that. It's a bigger deal when it affects Windows, obviously, but this type of kernel issue is far from unique to MS - and frankly the fact that Cloudstrike have had similar issues on a smaller scale and seem to have not learned a damn thing means that they deserve the bankruptcy that's probably coming their way. 

FWIW, there isn't *really* a requirement to use third parties, Windows Defender tends to perform fairly well, but isn't considered "best of breed" like Cloudstrike is (or used to be). Microsoft would (and have) point out that the reason that this issue surfaced and was as catastrophic a failure is because their agreement with the EU during an anti-trust dispute compelled them to open up the kernel to allow third party security services the same access as Microsoft has.

Perhaps part of the post-mortem of this should be why Windows doesn't have the kind of A/B upgrade/rollback mechanism for its Kernel that some alternatives such as Solaris have had for 15-20 years, I understand that Bitlocker also played its part in making the recovery far more difficult, so perhaps they deserve a bit of the blame, but certainly not the majority, IMO

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â