Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

International football tournaments and the surrounding 'fanfare'.

It shouldn't piss me off, because it comes across as I'm some kind of football 'gatekeeper', but honestly, Judith in Accounts, John that walks past the house every morning with his dog, if you're not gonna talk to me about a Wednesday evening trip to Stamford Bridge in the rain to see us get knocked out the Cup, don't start a conversation with me about how Harry Kane was out of position last night. 

Yes, I'm comfortable sounding like a massive dick, but Judith, I don't come into the final of your local baking club competition and ask you about why you used Vanilla essence instead of Vanilla pods in your Victoria sponge, likewise John, I don't criticise your selection of bait at your bi-weekly local fishing competitions.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

It shouldn't piss me off, because it comes across as I'm some kind of football 'gatekeeper', but honestly, Judith in Accounts, John that walks past the house every morning with his dog, if you're not gonna talk to me about a Wednesday evening trip to Stamford Bridge in the rain to see us get knocked out the Cup, don't start a conversation with me about how Harry Kane was out of position last night. 

Yes, I'm comfortable sounding like a massive dick, but Judith, I don't come into the final of your local baking club competition and ask you about why you used Vanilla essence instead of Vanilla pods in your Victoria sponge, likewise John, I don't criticise your selection of bait at your bi-weekly local fishing competitions.

Judith is a renowned casual 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, T-Dog said:

I think that is a sign of the times; people like to have strong opinions on things they do not follow or have a minimum understanding of.

The same goes for politics, religion, or many other 'important things'.

On the other hand, I do not have to run a pizza place and attend the pizza expo at the NEC to be able to have a strong opinion on the pizza I am eating.

What I'd like to see more is people saying ''Take what I think with a pinch of salt, I am no expert, but I think XYZ - what are your thoughts?''

• Like 1

11 hours ago, T-Dog said:

It's a fine balance for me.

I actually like that people who don't usually follow football get into it for major tournaments. I think that's one of the great things about International football. The country basically stopping to watch a big England game is great.

But when a girl who I know doesn't watch football is trying to moan to me about why Southgate didn't bring Rashford to the tournament because he's exactly what we need, I struggle to engage in the conversation :D

• Like 2

Yeah, we ran an office sweep with everyone allocated a team and all our photos up on the wall, transferred one by one to the plane home. a bit of fun, got everyone involved and made the non footy people able to put up with the footy chat a bit more as they could join in.

Anyone in this office seeing themselves as more able to use phrases such as low block or high line or questioning when Neco Williams changed his nationality is generally not highly regarded.

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

But when a girl who I know doesn't watch football is trying to moan to me about why Southgate didn't bring Rashford to the tournament because he's exactly what we need, I struggle to engage in the conversation :D

Because Rashford shouldn't be anywhere near an England shirt, or because she doesn't regularly watch football or because she's a girl? 😉

23 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Because Rashford shouldn't be anywhere near an England shirt, or because she doesn't regularly watch football or because she's a girl? 😉

A genuine answer, it was because she doesn't watch football.
And it's not so much that I mind her having an opinion, it was more that I don't know how to answer.

Do I take the comment at face value and assume she wants a real answer and go into detail about my actual opinion? 

Or do I assume she has just picked that opinion up from somewhere and me giving her a real answer would just bore her to death and make me seem like a saddo. So just smile and agree with her.

(Note: this is a real situation that happened to me. Her being a female is irrelevant, I'd be the same with a male who I knew didn't watch football... although I might be slightly less worried about him thinking I'm a saddo)

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Or do I assume she has just picked that opinion up from somewhere and me giving her a real answer would just bore her to death and make me seem like a saddo. So just smile and agree with her.

(Note: this is a real situation that happened to me. Her being a female is irrelevant, I'd be the same with a male who I knew didn't watch football... although I might be slightly less worried about him thinking I'm a saddo)

Sounds like you want to DH(er)UTWU

There is this thing I must do at work, it's a manual process and I've done it for about years. This month for the first time ever I had to amend it as I had charged it the wrong budget. Nothing major and nothing that can't be fixed with a simple click of a few buttons.

Fine, it's an error, it happens.

I've had 3 people now point out the mistake, asking where it went wrong and to be careful in the future.

It's literally just a mistake. It happens and it won't happen again? Not sure the need to advise me to be careful. It's not happened before despite the likely 100s of times I've done it across nearly a decade

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

There is this thing I must do at work, it's a manual process and I've done it for about years. This month for the first time ever I had to amend it as I had charged it the wrong budget. Nothing major and nothing that can't be fixed with a simple click of a few buttons.

Fine, it's an error, it happens.

I've had 3 people now point out the mistake, asking where it went wrong and to be careful in the future.

It's literally just a mistake. It happens and it won't happen again? Not sure the need to advise me to be careful. It's not happened before despite the likely 100s of times I've done it across nearly a decade

So yeah, we're putting new cover sheets on the TPS reports now...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If people under me make a mistake I'll just let them know and that's that. They won't do it again and unless it results in the company going into liquidation somehow, shit happens.

Why do people feel the need to give their input. I don't think I'm being too precious here but I may be wrong!

20 hours ago, T-Dog said:

**** Victoria sponge, its all about the lemon drizzle. 

21 hours ago, T-Dog said:

Screenshot_20240716_195041_Chrome.jpg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Xela said:

**** Victoria sponge, its all about the lemon jizzle.

FTFY

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â