Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

It stands for Association surely?

Nope I don’t think so. It does for some clubs, but that was never Bournemouth’s name. It officially doesn’t stand for anything. Their name is literally AFC Bournemouth

Happy to be proved wrong but I’m certain I’ve read that

Edited by Stevo985

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Nope. It does for some clubs, but that was never Bournemouth’s name. It officially doesn’t stand for anything. Their name is literally AFC Bournemouth

It still stands for Association, otherwise the logical conclusion is that the F and C don’t stand for Football and Club either.

Its a known initialisation , everyone knows what it means

Yep, it’s annoying at the start of their name fully agree with that but the stands for nothing bit is silly, it clearly stands for something because it’s universally accepted as to what it means.

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

It still stands for Association, otherwise the logical conclusion is that the F and C don’t stand for Football and Club either.

Its a known initialisation , everyone knows what it means

Yep, it’s annoying at the start of their name fully agree with that but the stands for nothing bit is silly, it clearly stands for something because it’s universally accepted as to what it means.

F and C don’t stand for football club in Bournemouth’s name. 

Their name is AFC Bournemouth. It’s not an initialism. 
That’s how they’re registered on companies house. 

And if you look on the premier league website all the clubs are Arsenal, Aston Villa, Chelsea etc. the FC isn’t included in their names because that obviously just stands for football club. 

Bournemouth are on there as AFC Bournemouth. 

Officially they don’t stand for anything. They may as well say XYZ Bournemouth

Edited by Stevo985

I always thought the A in AFC stood for Amatuer, in that in the early days they were an amateur rather than professional club. Don't know why I think this, something I incorrectly came to by my own thoughts or something I read somewhere. 

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I always thought the A in AFC stood for Amatuer, in that in the early days they were an amateur rather than professional club. Don't know why I think this, something I incorrectly came to by my own thoughts or something I read somewhere. 

Clubs were AFC or RFC depending on which code of football they played. There were no professional clubs

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Sometimes it does. There are several RL teams in this part of the world with the suffix ARLFC (Amateur Rugby League Football Club).

And it has also been used as an abbreviation for 'athletic' and 'association'. There is no way of knowing in Bournemouth's case, so @Stevo985 makes a valid point - it effectively means nothing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Sometimes it does. There are several RL teams in this part of the world with the suffix ARLFC (Amateur Rugby League Football Club).

That’s specific to Rugby League though as Rugby League was invented as a professional sport and the amateur clubs came later

25 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

And it has also been used as an abbreviation for 'athletic' and 'association'. There is no way of knowing in Bournemouth's case, so @Stevo985 makes a valid point - it effectively means nothing. 

Basically yeah.

At one point they were called Bournemouth and Boscombe Athletic Football Club. So in theory it represents “Athletic Football Club”. 

But whereas most clubs are actually called Aston Villa Football Club or Associazone Calcio Milan, which then gets initialised, Bournemouth aren’t called Athletic Football Club Bournemouth and never have been. 

They’re official name is just AFC Bournemouth 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Basically yeah.

At one point they were called Bournemouth and Boscombe Athletic Football Club. So in theory it represents “Athletic Football Club”. 

But whereas most clubs are actually called Aston Villa Football Club or Associazone Calcio Milan, which then gets initialised, Bournemouth aren’t called Athletic Football Club Bournemouth and never have been. 

They’re official name is just AFC Bournemouth 

Athletic is part of a name not an initialisation, it’s like Villa or United. We aren’t known as Aston VFC that’s just a non argument based on Association and Athletic starting with the same letter. AFC is specifically association because it signifies which code of football is played. Charlton aren’t known as Charlton AFC.

But if you want to get really annoyed the. There’s AFC Crawley FC Ltd :D 

There's a By The Horns brewery pub in AFC Wimbledon's ground that took two visits to find.

Bizarrely, they're not allowed any public signage.

ploughlanestadium-2118286331.jpg.ec8cb2c0bf6aaaa30747944c93339a2d.jpg

Walk through what looks like a gate for deliveries and staff parking, then through an anonymous looking door on the right...

https://bythehorns.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/BTHPL-inside2-600x338.jpg
We offer a full bar menu with a huge selection of over 8 different craft beers on draught & cask, as well as some of the more mainstream lagers & ciders, alongside spirits & mixers, a full wine menu & bar snacks.
Enjoy your choice of drink in our heated bar or sit in our beer garden.

They're showing the Euros atm

58 minutes ago, bickster said:

Athletic is part of a name not an initialisation, it’s like Villa or United. We aren’t known as Aston VFC that’s just a non argument based on Association and Athletic starting with the same letter. AFC is specifically association because it signifies which code of football is played. Charlton aren’t known as Charlton AFC.

I have no idea what point you’re making here

Whatever you’re on about is irrelevant. It might apply to other clubs who use “AFC” but in Bournemouth’s case the AFC “represents” Athletic Football Club, but doesn’t stand for it. 

Here

The club was known as Boscombe for over 20 years before changing their name to Bournemouth and Boscombe Athletic Football Club to better represent the town. In 1971, the club changed their name again to AFC Bournemouth. The AFC recalls the older name of the club, it represents Athletic Football Club, but it does not stand for Athletic Football Club. The AFC is part of the name and not an abbreviation. The name was changed by Dickie Dowsett who was the club’s commercial manager and an ex-player. He insisted that the AFC should not stand for anything because that way, the club would appear in alphabetical league lists above Arsenal and Aston Villa and is why the club is the first in the list of clubs on the Premier League and Premier Skills English websites. However, when people talk about the club, they usually just say Bournemouth.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

Ordering an album on coloured vinyl from a very reputable store online, and the words removed sending a standard black.

Useless turds.

Had a reply, and an apology, unfortunately no coloured vinyl left so I get to keep this one and get a full refund.

Result.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I have no idea what point you’re making here

Whatever you’re on about is irrelevant. It might apply to other clubs who use “AFC” but in Bournemouth’s case the AFC “represents” Athletic Football Club, but doesn’t stand for it. 

Here

Well in that case it is utterly stupid. Because using an initialisation that actually does mean something in the very context it is being used and then claiming it doesn’t mean that is just beyond silly.

19 minutes ago, bickster said:

Well in that case it is utterly stupid. Because using an initialisation that actually does mean something in the very context it is being used and then claiming it doesn’t mean that is just beyond silly.

I know. That was the entire point of my posts

Â