Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You won't though. We'll be at the destination at exactly the same time. You'll have just stood up pointlessly for 20 minutes before we get there

Sometimes I will, sometimes I won't. I just like to 'get up and go'. You never know what's gonna happen with public transport. You leave the train in the middle of the pack, someone blocks off the escalator and you stand there like waiting while it clears - I'll be upstairs and on my way!  

I won't cause a stir and won't disturb anyone. What's the beef about me standing by the train door 5 minutes before we reach the destination? :) Heck, unless it's a 20min+ journey I likely won't sit at all!  

4 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Sometimes I will, sometimes I won't. I just like to 'get up and go'. You never know what's gonna happen with public transport. You leave the train in the middle of the pack, someone blocks off the escalator and you stand there like waiting while it clears - I'll be upstairs and on my way!  

I won't cause a stir and won't disturb anyone. What's the beef about me standing by the train door 5 minutes before we reach the destination? :) Heck, unless it's a 20min+ journey I likely won't sit at all!  

It's just bizarre behaviour. You're making yourself uncomfortable for literally no reason apart from you might get to step onto the big metal tube that we're all going to be sat on for the next 8 hours 10 minutes earlier than me. Or onto the train platform one step before me when I've sat on my comfy seat and stood up as the doors open.

And on planes it's actually detrimental to other people as it stops people who might actually need to get off the plane quickly for connections and stuff because you want to be the first one standing next to the baggage carousel where we'll all be waiting for another 20 minutes.

I think there's an inherent instinct in humans that they just want to be first. Regardless of what it's for. People want to be first in that queue. Even if there's no tangible benefit

Edited by Stevo985

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's just bizarre behaviour. You're making yourself uncomfortable for literally no reason

Exactly the opposite - I am uncomfortable sitting there and waiting. If I have to wait, I'd rather stand and wait. It may be some compulsive disorder. But it's uncomfortable for me to sit on the train and wait. Or sit and wait while the line for the gate at the airport gets longer and longer.

I am more comfortable standing/walking around. 

9 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Exactly the opposite - I am uncomfortable sitting there and waiting. If I have to wait, I'd rather stand and wait. It may be some compulsive disorder. But it's uncomfortable for me to sit on the train and wait. Or sit and wait while the line for the gate at the airport gets longer and longer.

I am more comfortable standing/walking around. 

I mean that's mental, but each to their own

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I mean that's mental, but each to their own

Let me put it this way - if I'm on holiday you will find me walking around town/beach/mountains at 6 am and doing stuff ;) The thought of sitting on my ass or 'getting well earned rest' terrifies me! 

People will think me the right hand man of Satan himself.  When I board the train I'm waiting at the door immediately. I won't budge. People have to move past me to board the train (I DO move out of the way and give them space, some of my ilk don't*) but I'm there waiting to be first off the carriage, and always the back carriage nearest to the exit. 

I want to exit that station before a queue forms at the barriers. 

* there are a number of us playing the same game. Occasionally I'll leave too much room to let people on and a bastard will squeeze into that small space by the door. 

Another reason I do this is because the train always gets rammed. I prefer to be facing the door with a few mm of space in front of me instead of rammed nose to someone's armpits. 

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Why does the Guardian newspaper ask for charity support. Is it not owned by the Saudis. Even if it's not, it must be doing better than a few sole traders.

The Guardian doesn't ask you for charity support. Its a no obligation subscription. It's no different to say Spotify.

33 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Let me put it this way - if I'm on holiday you will find me walking around town/beach/mountains at 6 am and doing stuff ;) The thought of sitting on my ass or 'getting well earned rest' terrifies me! 

See I get that. But that's doing stuff. 

Standing on a train or a plane isn't doing anything

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

See I get that. But that's doing stuff. 

Standing on a train or a plane isn't doing anything

Maybe I should add I am 6.3ft so sitting on the plane/train is also a bit of a pain ;) 

11 minutes ago, limpid said:

Suffix?

Prefix. Bournemouth's official name is AFC Bournemouth, when in English we don't use that format, and they seem to have only done it so they get to appear near the top of clubs alphabetically. 

Wimbledon also do it but they've somewhat got the excuse of being a phoenix club which always have wank names.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, I mean what sort of idiot would have string lights permanently up around their patio doors which were Christmas lights originally and became permanent to cheer them up a bit throughout the dark winter nights and look pretty on hot summer nights.

giphy.gif

Yes, that is precisely what I ask myself.

Spoiler

But I hear you. 😉

We got on quite well with the family a couple of doors down from us. They have 2 children in the same year as our 2 (both at high school). 

The couple split up a while back and it’s the usual messiness. 

Most days the younger of the girls messages my wife in the morning and asks if she can come to school with us. Often she walks out of school with my daughter and gets a lift back, but not always. Sometimes she makes her own way home (walks home with other friends etc). Its only a 10 minute walk.

This girl has been finding herself in quite a lot of trouble over the last few months (a result of the massive parent split I assume) and was suspended this week, returning today.

I took her this morning as normal but she was nowhere at the end of the day which isn’t uncommon. They were in different classes and my daughter came out then we waited 6-7 minutes for my son. 

We go home.

Then her mum is messaging my wife asking where her daughter is, and that she can’t get in touch with her as she had taken her phone off her. Suggesting it’s our fault for not waiting indefinitely for her to potentially appear. There’s other exits from the school so she would not necessarily walk past where I wait.

Seems a bit harsh. There is no agreement for us to bring her home, or wait all night on the off chance she does want a lift. 

• Like 2

On 27/06/2024 at 16:21, Chindie said:

Prefix. Bournemouth's official name is AFC Bournemouth, when in English we don't use that format, and they seem to have only done it so they get to appear near the top of clubs alphabetically. 

Correct. The A doesn’t even stand for anything. It’s not like they were called Bournemouth AFC and they changed it round. They just invented it

Â