Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

54 minutes ago, Genie said:

Glastonbury Festival 

I’m not sure why it pisses ms off, it just does. 

Did they offer you a gig but expect you to cover all your own costs and even a ticket to get in?

Oh no, that's just most of the DJs this year and most of the bands (except the ticket thing)

• Like 1

People who get up and stand by the train doors when we are about 5 mins from New Street. Why the **** rush? Same people every day, they've got no connections to make as I see them leave the station. Weirdos. 

I've mentioned it before, but when did it become acceptable to just sit on a train and watch videos on your phone at full blast? No head/ear phones, just it tinnily blaring out. No doubt some 'viral' TikTok or Reel. words removed. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bickster said:

Did they offer you a gig but expect you to cover all your own costs and even a ticket to get in?

Oh no, that's just most of the DJs this year and most of the bands (except the ticket thing)

Is that true? I hadn't heard that. I understand a lot of the 'dance' stages have their own promoters, but that kind of booking is literally the most toxic booking in the world. Not a fan, that's almost as bad as pay to play bookings.

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I wouldn't go to Glastonbury if you paid me £10k. Just doesn't interest me at all, and lets not even discuss the toilets...

I can confirm that the smell of the long drops still haunts me to this day.

1 hour ago, Xela said:

People who get up and stand by the train doors when we are about 5 mins from New Street. Why the **** rush? Same people every day, they've got no connections to make as I see them leave the station. Weirdos. 

I've mentioned it before, but when did it become acceptable to just sit on a train and watch videos on your phone at full blast? No head/ear phones, just it tinnily blaring out. No doubt some 'viral' TikTok or Reel. words removed. 

I get up and wait by the door so I can get straight up the stairs/escalator before the hoards of people who have apparently never navigated New St before (see also: the people who have seemingly never caught a bus before in their lives when the trains are **** and TWM are accepting train tickets back towards Erdington/Sutton)

On the second point, the absolute worst of the worst are the people who have a full on conversation on loud speaker on a crowded bus/train first thing in the morning 

In the minority apparently that I’d love to go to Glastonbury. Would rather go 20, 30, 40 years ago though - it has become pretty bland. Agree on the relentless BBC coverage, too. It used to be about counterculture! Then there’s the bloody price…

• Like 2

Music festivals are the highlight of my summer, usually (not so much this year, see the gig thread :D )

A weekend sat in a field, with shit phone signal, a wide choice of music, getting off your tits, moshing my little heart out and becoming best mates with strangers I'll never see again. Love it. 

I wish I liked any of the music on at Glasto, but it's not a festival for me, we've got nothing else one that scale so I'd love the idea of going but having just had a quick scan through, I've heard of 10 of the acts on their poster this year, and I'd happily listen to 0 of them. Download, Bloodstock, 2000 Trees and ArcTanGent though? Bloody brilliant time. Despite the camping 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DaoDeMings said:

In the minority apparently that I’d love to go to Glastonbury. Would rather go 20, 30, 40 years ago though - it has become pretty bland. Agree on the relentless BBC coverage, too. It used to be about counterculture! Then there’s the bloody price…

No, it hasn't. The coverage of it makes it seem bland, but when you're there, and you realise it's 2pm in the afternoon and you're 100 metres from a techno tent, Norman Jay is playing funk and soul from a giant mechanical spider, Rob Da Bank is playing two hours of prince in the Beats Hotel and De La Soul are playing the Pyramid stage, it's superb.

The coverage of it, compared to the reality of it, are very different. The place is incredible.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

Not a fan, that's almost as bad as pay to play bookings

It’s worse

And yes it is a thing, see Nadine Shah, Dub Pistols, SecretDJ accounts on Twitter

SecretDJ has been saying it for years but more and more acts are going public with it

See lots of replies to the above for more bits of info

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

It’s worse

And yes it is a thing, see Nadine Shah, Dub Pistols, SecretDJ accounts on Twitter

SecretDJ has been saying it for years but more and more acts are going public with it

See lots of replies to the above for more bits of info

I had a lot of time for Secret DJ but someone told me who he was, and if true, the person behind the account as a bit of a media whore themselves during their time. I hope I'm wrong, because they were very vocal about Covid raves and I sided with them.

Not on Twitter atm, but are the abovementioned all saying they've been asked to pay for their own tickets? If so, that's appalling.

I've run a few nights for 5 years now and I've seen the charlatans out there. So many promoters just out there to support their own cocaine habits and have no interest in putting on genuinely good parties. Personally, I'll DJ for free for anyone that I know, if they wanna slip me a couple of quid or buy me a drink, that's fine, but I would NEVER ask someone to play for free at one of our events. 

3 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

Not on Twitter atm, but are the abovementioned all saying they've been asked to pay for their own tickets? If so, that's appalling

Plenty of people saying they’ve been asked to DJ but will have to sort their own wristbands out…loads of people also saying they’ve refused

Just now, bickster said:

Plenty of people saying they’ve been asked to DJ but will have to sort their own wristbands out…loads of people also saying they’ve refused

That's appalling. Someone is making a lot of money off that.

Scandalous behaviour. 

2 hours ago, T-Dog said:

No, it hasn't. The coverage of it makes it seem bland, but when you're there, and you realise it's 2pm in the afternoon and you're 100 metres from a techno tent, Norman Jay is playing funk and soul from a giant mechanical spider, Rob Da Bank is playing two hours of prince in the Beats Hotel and De La Soul are playing the Pyramid stage, it's superb.

The coverage of it, compared to the reality of it, are very different. The place is incredible.

The coverage of it is what I meant really, it’s become mainstream in a way that takes the edge off it. Definitely doesn’t have the same counterculture element that it once did.

But I don’t doubt that it’s still incredible. Like I said, would love to go!

8 hours ago, T-Dog said:

it's 2pm in the afternoon and you're 100 metres from a techno tent, Norman Jay is playing funk and soul from a giant mechanical spider, Rob Da Bank is playing two hours of prince in the Beats Hotel and De La Soul are playing the Pyramid stage 

You've just described my idea of hell. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

Â