Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Think I've just had the worst curry of my life. 

I'm still trying to find a new curry house after the closure of my regular joint. Raja Monkey is really really superb but the prices are eye watering and the portions tiny. I don't mind paying the price for good stuff but the tiny portions are so annoying. 

Anyway tried The Shapla in Shirley.  I don't like really hot curries, I'm never going to order a Madras or Vindaloo but it has to have the right heat to hit the spot. 

This "curry" tasted like they'd boiled up some Chicken Tikka meat in Tomato Puree, and possibly added a bit of Tomato Ketchup for good measure.

I can't believe how hard it is to find a decent curry house on the edge of South Birmingham. 

Just now, sidcow said:

I'm still trying to find a new curry house after the closure of my regular joint. Raja Monkey is really really superb but the prices are eye watering and the portions tiny. I don't mind paying the price for good stuff but the tiny portions are so annoying. 

Anyway tried The Shapla in Shirley.  I don't like really hot curries, I'm never going to order a Madras or Vindaloo but it has to have the right heat to hit the spot. 

This "curry" tasted like they'd boiled up some Chicken Tikka meat in Tomato Puree, and possibly added a bit of Tomato Ketchup for good measure.

I can't believe how hard it is to find a decent curry house on the edge of South Birmingham. 

You need to learn how to make your own.

I've been doing them for well over 30 years, no complaints yet (apart from "it's too fookin spicy").

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rjw63 said:

I've been doing them for well over 30 years, no complaints yet (apart from "it's too fookin spicy").

Oh I do, with Pataks paste anyway which I love. 

But if I can't be arsed with all the faffing I ought to be able to easily get out and buy a half decent curry round these parts. 

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Oh I do, with Pataks paste anyway which I love. 

But if I can't be arsed with all the faffing I ought to be able to easily get out and buy a half decent curry round these parts. 

Pataks paste?

Oh no, you have to make your own curry paste as well, it's not that difficult ;)

I make my own sauces, mixed spice, base gravy,  bhajis and naan dough.....yes, it's a bit time consuming but I know exactly what goes in to my sauces and it's a sense of achievement.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rjw63 said:

I've had your samosas Rob. Bloody lovely, but too fookin spicy.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Anthony said:

I've had your samosas Rob. 

KENNETH-BLUE.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

20 hours ago, sidcow said:

I had a proper awful one a month or two ago frm my usual.  I think it was because I clicked the 'ASAP' option for delivery, I didn't realise they literally would get the nearest bit of chicken and mix it with a bit of mangled tomato and send it out that very instant.  That's what it tasted like anyway.  Thankfully I gave them another go and it's been fine since then.

5 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I had a proper awful one a month or two ago frm my usual.  I think it was because I clicked the 'ASAP' option for delivery, I didn't realise they literally would get the nearest bit of chicken and mix it with a bit of mangled tomato and send it out that very instant.  That's what it tasted like anyway.  Thankfully I gave them another go and it's been fine since then.

I can't find a takeaway that can do a hot enough curry for me. Slightly annoying. 

On 22/06/2024 at 20:10, sidcow said:

Im assuming you're Hall Green/Shirley way if you're been to those two... Try The Covered Wagon in Moseley or Ginger Blue in Shirley (down the road from Sears Retail Park) 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

Im assuming you're Hall Green/Shirley way if you're been to those two... Try The Covered Wagon in Moseley or Ginger Blue in Shirley (down the road from Sears Retail Park) 👍

Oh wow. I've been to The Covered Wagon a few times, didn't know they did take aways. That's a good place but a little far for take away but Cranmore Boulevard is dead easy. Hadn't even thought of that, and can pick up some nice beer from Bernies for a bit of double bubble. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

Try The Covered Wagon in Moseley

Wait, what? 

The Covered Wagon is a curry house? 

In my day it was a pub. Our school local, in fact. 

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Wait, what? 

The Covered Wagon is a curry house? 

In my day it was a pub. Our school local, in fact. 

Still a pub. A Desi Pub, loads round Brum now. Normally selling real ale but The Covered wagon only sells keg beer. 

It's very, very popular. Packed most nights. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Can't believe people still say learn to make your own, when you want a fricking takeaway. 😂

It's lazy to get a takeaway innit

You should be walking to your local allotment where you've grown all of the ingredients yourself, digging them up and walking home to cook it all from scratch on a fire that you've built using wood that you've grown in your backyard. Hobs are lazy too

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

My in-laws often make their own curries and their house often absolutely stinks of it for days. Another reason I like to buy a take-away when getting one.

Â