Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

I can see some sort of value in having your photo taken next to a waxwork of, say, Robert Wadlow. A sense of scale.

I don’t think I’ve ever been to Tussauds, I’d be mildly interested in the chamber of horrors, but that’s really from an historical perspective rather than having a selfie with Dr Crippen.

15 hours ago, one_ian_taylor said:

Don't  know what you're talking about.  What's  wrong  with this? Posted especially for you

as-16-yarmouth-wax-museum.jpg

A young Max Headroom. They nailed it !

• Like 1

messaged my gig group today to see if any of them wanted to see Fontaines DC at  Pryzm Kingston 27th Aug 

one mate replies back ..oh yes , love them , well up for that , count me in 

I then had to tell him that he's actually going on holiday the day before so he in fact can't make it  ( he told us he was going away a couple of weeks back , it wasn't pillow talk from his wife ) 

I swear my mates are the most useless people on the planet at times  :)

Edited by tonyh29
  • Haha 1

On 19/06/2024 at 13:48, Wainy316 said:

When you finally get on top of the washing and then the members of the household start wearing the clothes you've spent all that effort getting clean.

I’m not even sure what any of this means? 

On 19/06/2024 at 19:04, one_ian_taylor said:

Don't  know what you're talking about.  What's  wrong  with this? Posted especially for you

as-16-yarmouth-wax-museum.jpg

I thought for one moment this was from a new 'The Conjuring' movie, I was relieved when I realised it was wax works of a young Deirdre and Ken Barlow

• Like 1

Not sure how Birmingham airport are getting away with being so shit for so long.

They’ve carved up the security area and removed the escalators. Only way up to security is via 2 lifts. It’s absolute chaos almost every day and they are still hiding behind the excuse that it’s because people are bringing more than 100ml of liquids through. People reporting that they are queuing for 2+ hours to get through security. What a horrible way to start your holiday.

It’s been going on for months too with no end in sight. 

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Not sure how Birmingham airport are getting away with being so shit for so long.

They’ve carved up the security area and removed the escalators. Only way up to security is via 2 lifts. It’s absolute chaos almost every day and they are still hiding behind the excuse that it’s because people are bringing more than 100ml of liquids through. People reporting that they are queuing for 2+ hours to get through security. What a horrible way to start your holiday.

I work at Gatwick and they've even scrapped allowing staff in with more than 100ml.  We used to be able to take up to 2 litres but they've stopped it and nobody can really explain why.  It's annoying as you're basically stuck with just refilling a bottle with water or paying vending machine (when they work) or even worse airport terminal prices for anything flavoured.  I half suspect these new machines that are supposed to be able to scan larger liquids don't actually work and some Tory donor has pocketed loads of money.

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

I work at Gatwick and they've even scrapped allowing staff in with more than 100ml.  We used to be able to take up to 2 litres but they've stopped it and nobody can really explain why.  It's annoying as you're basically stuck with just refilling a bottle with water or paying vending machine (when they work) or even worse airport terminal prices for anything flavoured.  I half suspect these new machines that are supposed to be able to scan larger liquids don't actually work and some Tory donor has pocketed loads of money.

There’s definitely something up with the tech which they aren’t sharing, but that’s not the reason BHX is utter chaos. 

They need to be called out for it. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

There’s definitely something up with the tech which they aren’t sharing, but that’s not the reason BHX is utter chaos. 

They need to be called out for it. 

16 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Wonder if Fujitsu had anything to do with the tech?

Are the lifts at BHX permanent or temporary? Either way, they're a 'kin terrible idea. 

If you come in on the monorail the staff let you through bypassing the 2000 people queuing.

We have a holiday booked in July and we upgraded to Tui Premium which includes fast-track security and access to the airport lounge “free” food and drinks. If I don’t get a full 3 hours (or at least 2) in there because of this chaos I’ll be **** raging. 

Posted (edited)

I've always avoided premium airport lounges.  Sometimes I've heard that they can be great and you can have a really relaxing time before your flight, other times, a nightmare where you barely get served anything and for the cost, you may as well have been queueing up at the Wetherspoons for a beer and something to eat.  I'm someone who likes to browse the shops and things before I go too.

Last year, friends and I decided to walk over to the departure gate early over at the other side.  We were there just before the gate and low and behold there was a bar that was absolutely dead (the little All Bar One maybe).  Lovely comfy seats, a few bar nibbles (we just went with crisps :D) and it was really relaxed.  Compared to the big queues elsewhere, it was lovely. 

Edited by trekka

4 hours ago, Genie said:

Its a **** of an airport, ran by absolute incompetents. It's been an embarrassment for years. 

27 minutes ago, Genie said:

We have a holiday booked in July and we upgraded to Tui Premium which includes fast-track security and access to the airport lounge “free” food and drinks. If I don’t get a full 3 hours (or at least 2) in there because of this chaos I’ll be **** raging. 

Good luck! Most lounges are oversubscribed now as they are too easy to get into - perk of a credit card etc. 

8 minutes ago, trekka said:

I've always avoided premium airport lounges.  Sometimes I've heard that they can be great and you can have a really relaxing time before your flight, other times, a nightmare where you barely get served anything and for the cost, you may as well have been queueing up at the Wetherspoons for a beer and something to eat.  I'm someone who likes to browse the shops and things before I go too.

Last year, friends and I decided to walk over to the departure gate early over at the other side.  We were there just before the gate and lo and behold there was a bar that was absolutely dead (the little All Bar One maybe).  Lovely comfy seats, a few bar nibbles (we just went with crisps :D) and it was really relaxed.  Compared to the big queues elsewhere, it was lovely. 

I’ve been in a few and find them great, especially with a family. Some food and drinks when there’s 4 of you can cost a fortune at the airport.

A few beers / proseccos. They often have a movie and xbox area for the little ones. View of the runway. Hot and cold food, cakes, scones, fruit etc.

We got access to the virgin lounge once as a part of an offer when we booked which was great as the flight was delayed 3 hours so we could just stay in there getting our moneys worth. We have one at B’ham included as part of the premium upgrade (premium section of the plane, better food and drink, fast track security, airport lounge etc).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

It’s a **** of an airport, ran by absolute incompetents. It's been an embarrassment for years. 

We went last year (maybe it was year before?) at Easter and it was when they had the chaos of not having enough staff for security. Massive queues, boiling hot, short tempers. They were calling people out of the queues so they didn’t miss the flights.

I’m amazed they get away with it. The local MP (a Tory I guess) SHOULD be all over them like a rash.

Its a disgrace it’s so bad for the UK’s second city.

All of the British lounges I've been into have been a bit shit tbh, but I've only been in the fairly cheap level. Absolutely rammed, cluttered and dirty. You get free drinks but they're shite drinks I'd not usually pay for anyway.

Flying out of Berlin was quite nice though, they had a decent range of Japanese whiskey for some reason, in which nobody else was very interested. I slept very well on that short flight home, and Oslo was lovely too.

Â