Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

People who use "apostrophe s" for a plural.

Call me mister smartypantsknowitall, but how hard can it **** be to understand the simplest rule in all grammar?

That winds me up too, we're a pair of Mr Smartypantsknowitall's!

Call me mister smartypantsknowitall, but how hard can it **** be to understand the simplest rule in all grammar?

That winds me up too, we're a pair of Mr Smartypantsknowitall's!

I also often make predictable responses. We're two pea's in a pod.

The "deadzone" in a busy bar between tills where you can be standing forever waiting for a drink watching other people get served around you

When you finally lose patience and have exhausted all manners of communication such as distress flares and SoS and you have a go at them for taking the piss in serving you they use the excuse that you are not in their "serving zone" bars are becoming more and more like McDonalds day by day

Ahh, but you see they are getting ever so slightly worse every generation...

ISWYDT, but really the whole concept that the world is going to hell in a hand basket pisses me off. Quite simply, its not. People usually start thinking it when they notice it (usually at about 30 years of age?) and instead of assuming the obvious, that whatever is pissing them off has always been there and its only now that they have noticed it they assume its a new thing that has only just started since they moved out the age bracket which is supposed to be causing the problem.

Ditto people who think there was such a think as the good old days when everything was perfect. Again, most of this is caused by people remembering times when they had no responsibilities or awareness of the wider world around them rather than a time when we had a utopia. I mean, when exactly were the good old days? When the world was in danger of nuclear war in the 80s? During the three day week in the 70s? In the 60s when it was still shit to be a black man in large parts of the 'civilised' world? In the 50s with all the rationing? In the 40s when we had the holocaust? (etc etc)

ISWYDT, but really the whole concept that the world is going to hell in a hand basket pisses me off. Quite simply, its not. People usually start thinking it when they notice it (usually at about 30 years of age?) and instead of assuming the obvious, that whatever is pissing them off has always been there and its only now that they have noticed it they assume its a new thing that has only just started since they moved out the age bracket which is supposed to be causing the problem.

Ditto people who think there was such a think as the good old days when everything was perfect. Again, most of this is caused by people remembering times when they had no responsibilities or awareness of the wider world around them rather than a time when we had a utopia. I mean, when exactly were the good old days? When the world was in danger of nuclear war in the 80s? During the three day week in the 70s? In the 60s when it was still shit to be a black man in large parts of the 'civilised' world? In the 50s with all the rationing? In the 40s when we had the holocaust? (etc etc)

Lol, golden age syndrome.

To be fair though, playing devil's advocate for a minute here, my father loves to talk to me about how close the world came to Armageddon during the Cuban crisis. So I'm not sure if the golden age syndrome is primarily caused by people without awareness of the world around them, I mean the people of the 50's and 60's were certainly aware just how precarious the state of world peace back then was.

They were at the time, but they forget. And I think it was mostly the people born in (or after) the 50s and 60s who romanticise them. I do agree with Iain Banks' theory that the twelve years between the fall of the Berlin Wall and the attacks on the World Trade Center were relatively good though. But even then we had the constant threat of IRA bombs in mainland Britain.

AKA "the grocer's apostrophe", from the typical market stall label - carrot's, apple's, etc.

The street I live on in Nuneaton is a weird example of that. I am fairly sure it crosses the border between the Borough of Nuneaton & Bedworth and the Borough of North Warwickshire. At the bottom of the street, the Nuneaton part, the street sign says BUCKS HILL. At the top end, which is almost a mile away the sign says BUCK'S HILL. (though somebody has covered the apostrophe with Tipp-Ex.)

The street I live on in Nuneaton is a weird example of that. I am fairly sure it crosses the border between the Borough of Nuneaton & Bedworth and the Borough of North Warwickshire. At the bottom of the street, the Nuneaton part, the street sign says BUCKS HILL. At the top end, which is almost a mile away the sign says BUCK'S HILL. (though somebody has covered the apostrophe with Tipp-Ex.)
There is a road I drive along every day on my way to and from work. One side is signed "Hemingway Road", the other side is "Hemmingway Road".

Love that. A pedantic grammar nazi graffiti artist.

My hero.

Love that. A pedantic grammar nazi graffiti artist.

My hero.

Unless the apostrophe was incorrectly missed from BUCKS HILL?

For all we know the hill could belong to a male Deer.

Bullsh*t 'serving sizes' on food packets. It seems half the time they're only there to try and make the food look healthier, when in reality their 'serving' would probably not even satiate a 5 year old.

Probably the worst example I saw of this recently was on a pack of muffins I was checking out. Didn't look too bad until I saw the serving size... HALF a muffin. Who the hell eats half a muffin? If I went to a coffee shop and asked them to serve me a muffin, I wouldn't expect them to lop it in half and give me one of them.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â