Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

3 hours ago, luckyeddie said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with the joke, but a news programme is not the place to crack it, it's more like something you would hear on HIGNFY.

This basically. It's a joke, and said on the appropriate show it would be fine, if slightly controversial, but whatever.

But said on what is meant to be a news program it's **** mental

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I’d be wary of that second line.

We’ve seen enough over the last few years to no longer write off the extremes and the nut jobs. We have government ministers that think shit in the rivers never did them any harm when they were kids, a PM who’s pledge to scrap meat tax made the front page of the Sun and a majority of voters that thought it made economic good sense to leave the largest trading block in the world to try and strike our own deal with Honduras.

I agree, but I think “shock” content feeds on the shocked reaction sometimes.

They love to be able to point to all the people they’ve triggered. It’s a fine line between keeping this stuff in check and giving them the attention they want.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

The business model of GB News is to have the channel grow and be popularised and advertised by people sharing controversial clips.

Just have a little think about that.

I've started to be very careful about clicking on things people post up. 

I fact I'll rarely click on anything on X even if I'm interested to stop Elon having the satisfaction. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I've started to be very careful about clicking on things people post up. 

I fact I'll rarely click on anything on X even if I'm interested to stop Elon having the satisfaction. 

I’ve often said I get no problems with twitter.

Then the other day when people started mentioning people I hadn’t heard of around the Brand debate, I used twitter to see who was being referenced. What an absolute sewer if that’s the stuff that interests you.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

I've got the day off today and thought I'd quickly do a little DIY job whilst I had the time.

Finished it off in about 20 minutes and started packing my tools away. 

The last thing I picked up was a big box of screws separated into 12 different sizes.

However, I guess I hadn't secured the lid properly as I now have a great big f***ing pile of 250 odd assorted screws spread all over the floor that needs sorting.

So much for my lazy afternoon. 

I did the same but outside on the lawn. The neighbours were wondering why I was swearing so much.

20 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

I did the same but outside on the lawn. The neighbours were wondering why I was swearing so much.

After 5 minutes of trying to sort them and trying even harder to ignore my wife's laughter, I gave up, went and got the dustpan and brush and now have a 'random screws' box.

Edited by Rds1983
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Technology.

Wednesday evening, the TV remote stopped working. Wouldn't activate the screen from standby. Obviously flat batteries, I thought. So I put new ones in. Nope, no good. I could switch  on the TV with the button on the screen, but the remote still wouldn't do anything (change channels, switch to streaming, etc.) Zilch. Dead. A quick Google suggested you can check a remote using a phone camera - if you point the phone at the remote while pressing any button, it should show the infrared light which is not visible to the naked eye. Tried it - no light. Conclusion - remote is knackered. 

Sent for a clone replacement from Amazon, fifteen quid, got it this afternoon. Spent a little while setting it up until everything was working just as it was. Splendid. May as well chuck out the old one, I thought. May as well give it one last try before I bin it... you know what's coming, don't you? 

The old one is magically working again.

It was probably depressed because it had no buddy. It's cruel to only keep one remote.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Technology.

Wednesday evening, the TV remote stopped working. Wouldn't activate the screen from standby. Obviously flat batteries, I thought. So I put new ones in. Nope, no good. I could switch  on the TV with the button on the screen, but the remote still wouldn't do anything (change channels, switch to streaming, etc.) Zilch. Dead. A quick Google suggested you can check a remote using a phone camera - if you point the phone at the remote while pressing any button, it should show the infrared light which is not visible to the naked eye. Tried it - no light. Conclusion - remote is knackered. 

Sent for a clone replacement from Amazon, fifteen quid, got it this afternoon. Spent a little while setting it up until everything was working just as it was. Splendid. May as well chuck out the old one, I thought. May as well give it one last try before I bin it... you know what's coming, don't you? 

44059e6f0495f7ce11fef2a04da8efd7.jpg

At least the return is simple.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, limpid said:

At least the return is simple.

True. But sod's law says that if I return it, the old one will instantly fail again. I'm working on the assumption that it's an intermittent failure (some sort of internal loose contact, sort of thing), and keeping the new one as a backup. 

Technology.

Have you tried rolling the batteries around?  For some reason that's always the first thing I do when the remote stops working.  I have no idea why?  What the hell am I expecting to happen? 😆

2 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Have you tried rolling the batteries around?  For some reason that's always the first thing I do when the remote stops working.  I have no idea why?  What the hell am I expecting to happen? 😆

Apparently the gentle warming regenerates the battery slightly to give it a small amount of energy. Do NOT put them in the microwave though😁💥

7 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Yep, did that. With both the old and the new batteries. 

True. But sod's law says that if I return it, the old one will instantly fail again. I'm working on the assumption that it's an intermittent failure (some sort of internal loose contact, sort of thing), and keeping the new one as a backup. 

Epilogue: It's packed in again, confirming the dodgy contact hypothesis. Now using the replacement as standard. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â