Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

No (although that's bad enough). It's the moon landings stuff. There is NO possibility that they were faked. NONE. It's a fantastic story of human endeavour and achievement, probably the most exciting thing that happened in my lifetime. It involved long and dedicated careers by literally thousands of brilliant men and women - not to mention the incredible skill and bravery of the astronauts themselves. And it's all documented, in minute detail - all the science, all the technology, all the data. Literally hundreds of books and memoirs, all there to read and be inspired by. OK, not everybody is as interested as me (although I find that baffling). But when - frankly - utter idiots do their 'research' on social media and come out with the rank nonsense that they do, it simply boils my piss. 

Even the Russians said it happened didn't they?  If they didn't have a problem with it then I have no **** idea why anyone else would.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Even the Russians said it happened didn't they?  If they didn't have a problem with it then I have no **** idea why anyone else would.

But there was even an answer for that, apparently in the 1960’s, they weren’t really rivals.

I think that’s when I decided it was just a wind up.

• Like 1

Apart from the stupidity, I find it incredibly disrespectful and insulting to the all the people who did the work. No wonder Buzz Aldrin decked that clearing in the woods who hassled him. 

• Like 2

On 19/09/2023 at 21:10, KentVillan said:

I look around, and she’s sitting about 10 rows behind me. She had no right to even think about using that locker! I was **** livid!

This always amazes me. The lockers are just lockers - it's the same as people getting furious because someone has parked in the street outside their house. It's a public road. People are allowed to park there. Same with the lockers - she won't have been putting her case where she did for any other reason than there was no space closer to her. Chill...

I get the annoyance at being clumsy and careless, but not which bit of the overhead stowage she's putting her suitcase. :)

• Like 3

18 hours ago, mjmooney said:

... It's the moon landings stuff. There is NO possibility that they were faked. NONE. It's a fantastic story of human endeavour and achievement, probably the most exciting thing that happened in my lifetime. It involved long and dedicated careers by literally thousands of brilliant men and women - not to mention the incredible skill and bravery of the astronauts themselves. And it's all documented, in minute detail - all the science, all the technology, all the data. Literally hundreds of books and memoirs, all there to read and be inspired by. OK, not everybody is as interested as me (although I find that baffling). But when - frankly - utter idiots do their 'research' on social media and come out with the rank nonsense that they do, it simply boils my piss. 

I have a slightly different approach. I don't care if someone thinks the moon landings didn't happen. It's of no consequence to me at all, or to anything really.

There are two types of people (in my system) who think that way - people who beyond redemption, who've gone down the conspiracy theory wormhole and ain't coming back, but there's also a second bunch - people who have only a partial understanding or knowledge and that gap in knowledge means they haven't seen or heard the massive, overwhelming evidence and have maybe seen some of the gibberish and don't really know what to believe. These people can maybe be open to learning and understanding. But only if you (or I, whoever) is not pompous and dismissive and condescending of their current lack of clarity and understanding. It's hard enough (kenny) to pitch it right in person, but even harder on that internet thingy, but it's possible to gently educate and steer people (though they have to be open and willing (kenny) to take it in). The lost causes though, just leave 'em be.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blandy said:

This always amazes me. The lockers are just lockers - it's the same as people getting furious because someone has parked in the street outside their house. It's a public road. People are allowed to park there. Same with the lockers - she won't have been putting her case where she did for any other reason than there was no space closer to her. Chill...

I get he annoyance at being clumsy and careless, but not which bit of the overhead stowage she's putting her suitcase. :)

It’s nothing like street parking. Everyone has a locker above their own seat. Some people are just lazy and like to leave their stuff further forward. And FWIW you can’t leave your stuff in other sections of the plane. But yes main source of annoyance was the fact she was smashing the shite out of my belongings … I wouldn’t have cared otherwise.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Apart from the stupidity, I find it incredibly disrespectful and insulting to the all the people who did the work. No wonder Buzz Aldrin decked that clearing in the woods who hassled him. 

That guy he punched is notorious for actually starting to doctor evidence to support his conspiracy theory.

I think that's probably when you need to throw in the towel. If so much of your real evidence has been debunked that you need to invent your own, maybe it's time to admit defeat

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

It’s nothing like street parking. Everyone has a locker above their own seat. Some people are just lazy and like to leave their stuff further forward. And FWIW you can’t leave your stuff in other sections of the plane. But yes main source of annoyance was the fact she was smashing the shite out of my belongings … I wouldn’t have cared otherwise.

The important word here is "Convience" The locker above you is for your stuff and for your convience,it is just above your seat.Everyone has one,so why use someone elses,FFS.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

I have a slightly different approach. I don't care if someone thinks the moon landings didn't happen. It's of no consequence to me at all, or to anything really.

There are two types of people (in my system) who think that way - people who beyond redemption, who've gone down the conspiracy theory wormhole and ain't coming back, but there's also a second bunch - people who have only a partial understanding or knowledge and that gap in knowledge means they haven't seen or heard the massive, overwhelming evidence and have maybe seen some of the gibberish and don't really know what to believe. These people can maybe be open to learning and understanding. But only if you (or I, whoever) is not pompous and dismissive and condescending of their current lack of clarity and understanding. It's hard enough (kenny) to pitch it right in person, but even harder on that internet thingy, but it's possible to gently educate and steer people (though they have to be open and willing (kenny) to take it in). The lost causes though, just leave 'em be.

Well said. It's always a fine line to tread. We all love a good laugh, but so much of our humour exists within a point and laugh at 'the other' type scenario one way or the other.

Steering it away from Conspiracy Theory territory and just on a wider level it's too easy for people to disengage and that's always the problem for me. Not all people respond to shame in a reflective way.

Inquisitive, questioning minds aren't really intrinsically the problem in this world. In fact we don't respect their value enough imho. But, as ever, it's what you do with them that counts.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Everyone has one,so why use someone elses,FFS

No they don't, no way do the lockers on aircraft neatly match up to the seat you are in

Also many times I've seen people ask a flight attendant for help locating room in a locker, for them to check and go five lockers nown on the plane to a locker with some room in

• Like 1

This locker talk, I am of the mind that the locker space is available to all, not specifically the space above your head, it's handy if you can put your stuff there, but its not a god given right. I turn up with a carry on and a ruck sack and a bag of duty free, that will take up space. You put your stuff where there is availability, great if its above you, but I have gone a few rows down in the past.

Respecting other peoples property that has already been stowed is a given, only dickheads would do as @KentVillan has described.

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've never used the locker space above me on an aircraft. I just take a small rucksack on, and it sits on the floor under the seat in front.

What pisses me off is the amount of shite people bring on as hand luggage now. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

I've never used the locker space above me on an aircraft. I just take a small rucksack on, and it sits on the floor under the seat in front.

It used to be free, not anymore. So the problem with full overhand luggage will go away. People (me) are cheap

15 minutes ago, Xela said:

And then they are up and down from their seat every 5 minutes going to the bag in the locker.

I’m the same, small bag under the seat in front of me.

When I used to travel a lot with work I didn’t take anything into the cabin. Check my bag in, then wallet, keys, passport, phone in my pockets. Done.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Genie said:

When I used to travel a lot with work I didn’t take anything into the cabin. Check my bag in, then wallet, keys, passport, phone in my pockets. Done.

Exact opposite for me. Never check a bag in if you can help it - they lose the ****ers too often, then you're waiting around at the airport help desk and all the rest of the hassle. Take as little as possible, put it all in one carry on bag, and you're sweet to go.

• Like 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â