Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I have absolutely no idea what you have written there.

Just a load of corporate bollox. I run a team and we have all been trained on agile, but found we don't need to work to a fixed system, as we have a more grounded way of working.

12 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Just Google Scrum. Or better still, don't.

I don't need to, I used to be a hooker :crylaugh: 

I presume this Agile stuff is American in origin, so can they please f*** off and appropriate terms from their own sports

• Like 1

For those of us who work in IT....the Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) methods of working.....does my head in 😒

• Like 2

Having a conversation across a crap phone system.

"So we can probably do that for £2k"

"What was that, £10k? Sorry the lines really bad"

"Sorry - we can do it for £2k"

"I'm really sorry the line is terrible did you say you'd be at £12k? That's not going to do it sorry"

"NO WE'RE AT £2,000. WE WILL DO IT AT £2K. TWO THOUSAND. TWO. TWO THOUSAND POUNDS."

"Oh...

£2000 might do it. Leave it with me."

*Puts phone down feeling like a dickhead for having to raise your voice so much it sounds like your shouting down the line*

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chindie said:

"I'm really sorry the line is terrible did you say you'd be at £12k? That's not going to do it sorry"

"NO WE'RE AT £2,000. WE WILL DO IT AT £2K. TWO THOUSAND. TWO. TWO THOUSAND POUNDS."

"Oh...

*Puts phone down feeling like a dickhead for having to raise your voice so much it sounds like your shouting down the line*

Do it for 10. Trouser the remaining 8. Simples.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

For those of us who work in IT....the Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) methods of working.....does my head in 😒

Depends on how it's implemented.

If you implement it by the book it's a pain, but taking certain aspects that work for your IT, it's great.

As for stand ups, I run them daily as a Team Lead, they take 5 mins, 10 at a push and we're all on with our day.

Anything longer and I'd consider it meeting laundering to make yourself look busy.

Whilst we're moaning about team meetings at work. 

I've been assigned multiple actions from a meeting I wasn't able to attend and the first I hear about it is when the teamwide email goes out a week later.

3 hours ago, Genie said:

A lot of businesses have started to operate using the “Agile” framework for project management.

Part of that is a series of meetings (known as ceremonies) at various times during the week. 
There is a short daily meeting at the start of each day known as a “standup” because in theory it’s supposed to be done standing up around a monitor but in reality it’s just on teams. It should be very short (15-30 minutes) where people raise any new issues (blockers) that might have occurred and these are then taken offline to be discussed separately. Or it’s simply an opportunity for each “squad member” to mention that they are on track to complete what they said they would in the ongoing “sprint”.

Post covid a lot of businesses decided they needed more structure to their teams in how they worked because of them being scattered all over the place. Agile, in theory,  gives more visibility of what is happening and to understand if there were any new issues as soon as possible. 

That 2nd paragraph reads like something I'd expect in a scientology book. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

That 2nd paragraph reads like something I'd expect in a scientology book. 

I’m not sure what the difficult bit is :lol:

Theres a very short meeting at the start of each day where people have the opportunity to raise any issues or problems with what they’re working on. If so they are discussed separately to avoid bogging everyone down with it if it’s not relevant to them. 

I think in this time of remote or hybrid working it’s a good thing.

As others have mentioned though it relies on good discipline by the person running it to keep it snappy and fast.

Edited by Genie

3 hours ago, Genie said:

Flipping heck, that’s a worry. Surely he just needed to open a hot tap and listen to it fire up. 

Yeah he did. Which is why he was so confused.

It was quite funny going into the loft with him looking for a tank that I knew wasn't in there

• Haha 1

While my "do we need to be here for this?" tactic was quite effective, all this standup talk reminded me of my rather less successful "Sorry, I'm bored of this now" and walking out, back when were were in the office.  That seemed to get people's backs up a bit too much :D 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

While my "do we need to be here for this?" tactic was quite effective, all this standup talk reminded me of my rather less successful "Sorry, I'm bored of this now" and walking out, back when were were in the office.  That seemed to get people's backs up a bit too much :D 

Sort of thing I used to do. And why I never got promoted. Which was fine by me. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Genie said:

I have my own appliance headache, the fridge isn’t getting as cold as it should be. Freezer is working fine.

I’ve popped a thermometer in there, and on the top setting it’s only getting down to about 7 degrees, but often 8+ (ideal is 3-5 degrees).

It’s an integrated fridge/freezer so it’s a right faff to get a look at the gubbins at the back. 

You are not Alec Watson......right?

4 hours ago, Chindie said:

"Oh...

I have a similar problem as we communicate over radio at the airport, there's a lady with a croaky voice who always starts and ends the sentence fine but her voice cracks at the key bit in the middle, every single time.  I ask her to repeat it and the same thing happens, so I can't ask her to repeat it a third time without feeling like a clearing in the woods, I have to engineer a way of asking the question so it's a one or two word answer with the info I need.  It gets pretty tiresome after a while.

5 hours ago, bickster said:

I don't need to, I used to be a hooker :crylaugh: 

I presume this Agile stuff is American in origin, so can they please f*** off and appropriate terms from their own sports

I've never heard the term "Agile", so I doubt it comes from here.  What is big here is "Lean" management (probably a different name for a similar concept) that is anything but. 

We have a series of brief huddles (Am. football v. Rugby) in the morning at our hospital, starting at front lines and moving up the management layers to give status updates and escalate issues that present barriers to operations, culminating in a final one with clinical and admin bigwigs.  Actually quite useful initially when kept to short and to the point, even though it's a burden on managers of support services.   But it's evolved into a massive meeting with people escalating routine issues that we already have processes in place to deal with.  Every time they ask for input on how to improve it I go on a rant about how bloated and useless it's become.   I'm retiring soon, so I'm not afraid to speak my mind at this point.  Seems like they finally listened, as this week they've scaled things way back.   Minor victory.

The only people who believe Agile/scrum so called methodologies, are usually the people who implement them. We have a typical one we are supposed to abide too (can't remember what it's called), set out by the manufacture,  the F! team implement it, but our director has said as long as things are working (which they are), just do it the way you know, so we do.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â