Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

10 hours ago, Genie said:

I have my own appliance headache, the fridge isn’t getting as cold as it should be. Freezer is working fine.

I’ve popped a thermometer in there, and on the top setting it’s only getting down to about 7 degrees, but often 8+ (ideal is 3-5 degrees).

It’s an integrated fridge/freezer so it’s a right faff to get a look at the gubbins at the back. 

Have you tried closing the door?

:trollface:

• Haha 1

I hired a plumber for a few odd jobs around the house (fitting radiators, fixing the water pressure etc)

He looked at my boiler and told me he was absolutely certain it wasn't a combi boiler.

Half an hour spent looking for a tank that I knew didn't exist he had another look at it and said "oh actually maybe it is a combi boiler"

Filled me with confidence

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, limpid said:

Have you tried closing the door?

:trollface:

I’m thinking it’s the thermostat as it is clicking on, cooling for a while but then stopping like it thinks it’s reached the desired coldness. £45 for the part, I might have a go at it this weekend.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I hired a plumber for a few odd jobs around the house (fitting radiators, fixing the water pressure etc)

He looked at my boiler and told me he was absolutely certain it wasn't a combi boiler.

Half an hour spent looking for a tank that I knew didn't exist he had another look at it and said "oh actually maybe it is a combi boiler"

Filled me with confidence

Flipping heck, that’s a worry. Surely he just needed to open a hot tap and listen to it fire up. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

30 minute stand up each morning, testing gets 2 minutes at the end, but the **** that speaks for 28 minutes has just given us 5 minutes about his holiday. 

Product Owner or Scrum Master should have better control of this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

**** encouraging it, there are too many wafflers on this daily call and the Scrum master is one of them. Ridiculous.

• Sad 1

My old company had a team like that, I used to have to attend two stand ups, one I facilitated and was typically over in 5 minutes, what happened yesterday, what is planned today, any blockers? Blockers assigned some owners, and those discussions happen afterwards with comms in the team chat of the outcome, and further escalation if needed. Piece of piss. 

The other team was hosted by a SM who absolutely loved the sound of her own voice and used to feel the need to join in and contribute to any individual's update with why she'd really been key in all of their developments, as well as general musings and anecdotes. After a few weeks of it I started breaking it up with "do we all need to be here for this?" and I'd get a venomous look every time, but it worked :D 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

Team meeting but described by someone with a MBA

Do you have to literally stand up? 

Sounds like bloody primary school. 

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

What's all this 'stand up' bollox? 

A lot of businesses have started to operate using the “Agile” framework for project management.

Part of that is a series of meetings (known as ceremonies) at various times during the week. 
There is a short daily meeting at the start of each day known as a “standup” because in theory it’s supposed to be done standing up around a monitor but in reality it’s just on teams. It should be very short (15-30 minutes) where people raise any new issues (blockers) that might have occurred and these are then taken offline to be discussed separately. Or it’s simply an opportunity for each “squad member” to mention that they are on track to complete what they said they would in the ongoing “sprint”.

Post covid a lot of businesses decided they needed more structure to their teams in how they worked because of them being scattered all over the place. Agile, in theory,  gives more visibility of what is happening and to understand if there were any new issues as soon as possible. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Do you have to literally stand up? 

Sounds like bloody primary school. 

I used to work for BT, and the standups were literally stood up, they were very quick, well run and not a huge interruption to your day.

This is what the first hour and a half looks like for me, 30 mins client standup, 30 mins employer standup, 30 mins my team standup. The latter used to be over in 5 mins but someone has come in looking at a different phase and they dont know when to stop talking.

I'm quite a fan of agile done right, the agile manifesto is all good stuff, and when it's applied as a set of principles to empower highly capable engineering teams to self-organise, build small chunks that add value, get it into a customer's hands ASAP, reflect and iterate, it's just a bloody good way of working. Works brilliantly at my current company, where we do hold the ceremonies, but they're not the thing that makes us agile

Scrum (and even worse, "SAFE"), are bastardisations of agile invented to constrain the teams and ensure that middle management still get to mangle everything that passes through a team. Most of what passes for agile these days is just the old waterfall project management style, but with standups.

Used to call it "Speed waterfall without documentation" at one of my last places that used SAFE. Management half plan shit, throw a bunch of requirements, the engineering teams never talk to the customers, and there's no iteration, I once had a manager ask "why do you need to spend more time on that feature? You did that last sprint, it's meant to be done", like they didn't know what iteration means. They've actually written a **** requirements catalogue and a two year roadmap. But there were standups, work was planned in 2 weeks chunks, and everyone had an agile certificate, so there you go, very agile.

I'm fairly sure that people who hate agile have never worked in a truly agile team, but just a chaotic team branded as agile because it's popular.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

30 minute stand up each morning, testing gets 2 minutes at the end, but the **** that speaks for 28 minutes has just given us 5 minutes about his holiday. 

I have absolutely no idea what you have written there.

54 minutes ago, Genie said:

OK, that's made me even more mystified about what the **** is going on here.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â