Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

1 minute ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

An entire team in our office has had tinsel and other christmas decorations covering their block of desks for about 2/3 weeks now and they somehow keep adding more.

I'm pretty sure they're not even the team that deals with our Christmas planning/promotions.

I can supply tear gas if you like?

• Thanks 1

We're not allowed to decorate or personalise desks anymore. Just feels very sterile and impersonal. 

In our old office we'd decorate desks at Christmas and during major events like the World Cup or Olympics. Just another way work has got blander and more robotic. 

16 minutes ago, Xela said:

We're not allowed to decorate or personalise desks anymore. Just feels very sterile and impersonal. 

In our old office we'd decorate desks at Christmas and during major events like the World Cup or Olympics. Just another way work has got blander and more robotic. 

Why? 

3 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Why? 

Fancy new office, no-one has their own desk anymore its just rows of desks with monitors and leads on. Book your desk online the day before, turn up, connect your laptop and work. 

In terms of office decoration, i would assume health and safety / fire safety. They don't want people hanging stuff from ceilings etc.

Just now, Xela said:

Fancy new office, no-one has their own desk anymore its just rows of desks with monitors and leads on. Book your desk online the day before, turn up, connect your laptop and work. 

In terms of office decoration, i would assume health and safety / fire safety. They don't want people hanging stuff from ceilings etc.

So hot-desking, then? Ugh. I’m probably old-fashioned but the concept feels almost dystopian to me. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Fancy new office, no-one has their own desk anymore its just rows of desks with monitors and leads on. 

Same with us but my USB Christmas tree and hole punch guide decoration will be up by hook or by crook. 

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I think in a world where we’re all embracing flexible working and working from home etc, hot desking is a concept we have to accept

Probably, yeah, but I’d hate it personally. I like having my space with my stuff and the same people around me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, El Zen said:

So hot-desking, then? Ugh. I’m probably old-fashioned but the concept feels almost dystopian to me. 

We've got this but 99% of the time people just sit in the same desks so we all sit in our teams still. 

When we first moved in it was announced we were going to have a game of work desk bingo with prizes for whoever sat in the most different desks.  It was quietly dropped when everyone totally ignored it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think in a world where we’re all embracing flexible working and working from home etc, hot desking is a concept we have to accept

You are right and if i'm only in 3 days a month then why do i need a desk. It was the same before hybrid working though. 90% of the time I don't even think about it, and I always try and schedule my office days in with my team and book desks by them.

Its funny sometimes though as inevitably, on occasions you are sitting by people you don't know from different departments. They might be an analyst, or in IT, and generally work in silence, and i'm there constantly on the phone trying to tie deals up. By the end of the day, they despise me! :D 

In our old office, we had a floor to ourselves, where we could be as noisy as we wanted. 

I don't mind others sitting in my desk when I'm not there, or not being able to sit in my own desk all the time so much. What I DO object to is how skanky some people keep/leave the work stations. 

Bits of food all over and in the keyboard, greasy fingerprints on the screen and mouse, crumbs in parts of the desk the cleaner doesn't seem to get to. How do people work like that? 

We've got a graduate who seems to have taken a shine to my desk as it's next to my boss so I have become a bit of a nomad. Amazes me how messy others desks are. 

Then you've got the issue of having to raise the screens, set up the chair, the docking Station is in the wrong place etc etc.  It's much better if everything is set up just for you when you arrive for the day. 

Oh, and an odd thing.  I've got a couple of trays I keep in my locker containing all my "stuff" that I just take out and put on my desk every day. 

The graduate asked me the other day what it all was and why I do it/how often do I use the stuff. 

Well I've got a notepad and charging cable and calculator I've definitely used but the rest of it I had to admit I don't think I've used any of it since we moved. 

It's just stuff, staple remover, ruler, highlighters, pens, pencils, stapler, permanent marker, more of that kind of stuff. It really is just habit.  I've got another small box of stuff that I've never even taken out of the locker and in my garage I've got another bag of stuff that came from the old office and I've been meaning to take it in. 

The graduate was mystified why I've got this stuff and I had to conclude it's just habit. It's stuff I've had all my career, some of it IS stuff I've had since my first ever day at work. 

I could literally chuck it all and never need it again. 

Oh, I've also used my beer mat with a groove cut into it so I can hook it over my nose and ask someone if they threw it at me in a very accusatory tone.  

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Agreed. 

In the past, I've turned down jobs when it's become clear they only have hot desks, it was an absolute non starter for me. It remains so if I were to ever take an office based job again (not bloody likely). It's a pointless waste of space if you have staff WFH several times a week, though.

Its funny sometimes though as inevitably, on occasions you are sitting by people you don't know from different departments. They might be an analyst, or in IT, and generally work in silence, and i'm there constantly on the phone trying to tie deals up. By the end of the day, they despise me! :D 

Oh. It's you. :(

The last time I went into the office (March, maybe), my team was split across two floors, I was sat next to strangers who spent all day on the phone from their desks. I also spent 45 minutes getting everything set up, couldn't work well on the tiny monitor, and then we went into an afternoon of meetings people were dialled into anyway. Haven't been back since, and I never intend to again.

42 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Same with us but my USB Christmas tree and hole punch guide decoration will be up by hook or by crook. 

A hole punch guide? 

That implies the use of actual paper

Do you have a pot of those little white circles to reinforces the holes too?

Do you work in a 20th Cenury time warp?

PS Your Xmas tree can eff off too :D 

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

A hole punch guide? 

That implies the use of actual paper

Do you have a pot of those little white circles to reinforces the holes too?

Do you work in a 20th Cenury time warp?

PS Your Xmas tree can eff off too :D 

Yep, the hole punch is one from my first day at work in 1989 and it hasn't been used in months and months. 

I basically take the guide* out of it, sellotape it to my monitor and hang a couple of baubles from it. 

* on about day 4 the right angle of the guide snapped. I glued it back together with some probably now banned glue we had knocking about the stationary cupboard.  Now 33 years on it's never broken again which leads me to ask why didn't they just make it out of that glue substance? Maybe this is why 3d printing is the future 😁

13 hours ago, sidcow said:

I don't mind others sitting in my desk when I'm not there, or not being able to sit in my own desk all the time so much. What I DO object to is how skanky some people keep/leave the work stations. 

Bits of food all over and in the keyboard, greasy fingerprints on the screen and mouse, crumbs in parts of the desk the cleaner doesn't seem to get to. How do people work like that? 

We've got a graduate who seems to have taken a shine to my desk as it's next to my boss so I have become a bit of a nomad. Amazes me how messy others desks are. 

Then you've got the issue of having to raise the screens, set up the chair, the docking Station is in the wrong place etc etc.  It's much better if everything is set up just for you when you arrive for the day. 

We are in a pandemic and your employer doesn't have the desk sterilised between users? Do they hate you?

The amount of reviews you're asked to leave in different places for renting 1 car. I've so far been asked to leave a review for the agent (not the renter) in 3 different places, I've been asked by the rental company to leave a review on their website and now been asked to give them a good review somewhere else (I deleted the email before even looking at where).

Do. ****. off.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, limpid said:

We are in a pandemic and your employer doesn't have the desk sterilised between users? Do they hate you?

Almost certainly. I never keep my mouth shut. 

On 12/10/2022 at 11:16, sidcow said:

It's coming

giphy.gif

I very nearly started the Christmas 2023 thread then. 

I've had the day off. Me and Mrs Sidcow went to the pub for breakfast and the staff were putting the Christmas Tree up. 

Then we did some shopping and some Christmas items were purchased. 

It's only because some people would implode that I didn't. 

15 minutes ago, BOF said:

The amount of reviews you're asked to leave in different places for renting 1 car. I've so far been asked to leave a review for the agent (not the renter) in 3 different places, I've been asked by the rental company to leave a review on their website and now been asked to give them a good review somewhere else (I deleted the email before even looking at where).

Do. ****. off.

You want me to provide you with glowing reviews. Pay me

Its fairly similar to...

You want me to advertise your product, Pay me

Customer reviews are worthless anyway

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â