Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

33 minutes ago, bielesibub said:

My kids have an annoying habit of saying 'What?' (not even pardon!) after anything you've said to them and then before you can repeat yourself, they go on and answer what it was you asked them - by which time my pi55 has boiled sufficiently that I've probably forgotten what it was I asked them in the first place!

Related, but not exact thing I mentioned back in April.

I say something to the old man and he says 'huh?' so I say it again. I say something to 'the other half' she says 'huh?' so I say it again.  I've now taken to making a random noise or some other gobbledygook just to get their attention, and then I can say the original thing just the once.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I have this vision of Dylan doing an intimate gig, a little pub with a small group of dedicated fans.

The gig is going well, but when he’s performing “The Times They Are A-Changin’”, he keeps being distracted by a lone voice coming from the audience that’s pointedly shouting “…G!!! …G!!!” at the end of every verse.

Americans - and sung lyrics generally - get something of a pass. It sounds MUCH worse in spoken 'estuary'. 

Speaking of Dylan, though, compare The Byrds' hit recording of 'Mister Tambourine Man' with the writer's: 

Byrds: "...there ain't no place I'm going to" 

Dylan: (and he heavily emphasised the word in live performance) "...there IS no place I'm going to" 

:)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, il_serpente said:

For and ignition coil on an Audi?

F*** me, we used to have 2 go at once and would pay $1000+, and that was over 10 years ago.   Might have been cheaper to ship the car to Birmingham to get it serviced.

Its a £25-£40 part. 

We must be discussing different things?!

Why is it so impossible to find a plumber these days? One blocked sink (I’ve tried all YouTube videos) doesn’t seem to be enough for anyone to come take a look. I’ve contacted six so far. Five of them didn’t reply and the one that did is already a week late. 
I know it’s only a small job but have they got that much work?

48 minutes ago, choffer said:

Why is it so impossible to find a plumber these days? One blocked sink (I’ve tried all YouTube videos) doesn’t seem to be enough for anyone to come take a look.

Yes they have.  Builders have 2 year waiting lists, plumbers, electricians, plasterers, roofers, fencing, window fitters, insulators, etc are all still rushed off their feet. They only want the big jobs, the small stuff just isn’t worth their time atm.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, choffer said:

Why is it so impossible to find a plumber these days? One blocked sink (I’ve tried all YouTube videos) doesn’t seem to be enough for anyone to come take a look. I’ve contacted six so far. Five of them didn’t reply and the one that did is already a week late. 

Tory cuts. 

I had a bizarre experience with one. I had an issue with a leak and wanted to check if it was from the shower and tiles or a worse situation with pipes. He came round to have a look for free. Had a bit of a conversation with him about refitting the bathroom. A little while after I followed up about the bathroom, he came round to look again for a quote. That was the last I heard from him, never got back to me or replied to my messages. Helped out for nothing then when it came to several grand business he didn't want it or need it.

• Like 1

You need to get into the DIY thread, Blandy will sort you out :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

I had a bizarre experience with one. I had an issue with a leak and wanted to check if it was from the shower and tiles or a worse situation with pipes. He came round to have a look for free. Had a bit of a conversation with him about refitting the bathroom. A little while after I followed up about the bathroom, he came round to look again for a quote. That was the last I heard from him, never got back to me or replied to my messages. Helped out for nothing then when it came to several grand business he didn't want it or need it.

I had a plumper round to the flat I rent, tenant has managed to crack the shower tray, damage really. Anyway he came back with a quote for £1300. I contacted him to say I think it's only a plastic tray in the ensuite and he said that's the cost to replace it, so I asked for a estimate itemsed. I gets it through and it's for a new shower tray, shower unit and shower doors, including £85 for rubbish, £3 for silicone £300 labour (nice day rate?) and and a few other bits and pieces.

I contacted him again to ask him why he was replacing the whole room, an he replied "it's looks all original so I thought it would be best replace it all why I was doing the tray". Reeeeally, I won't repeat what I told him.

37 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

Can I have his number? ;)

Edited by choffer
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I'll save a repeat of my bête noir (the mispronunciation of 'the') for later, as I post it so regularly. 

This time - the dropping of 'g's. Very common (in every sense) these days. Sample offender - Alex Scott. "Singing and dancing" becomes "singin' and dancin'". Sets my teeth on edge. 

I watched a quiz show she was presenting and every time she referred to the prize fund instead of 'pounds' she kept saying 'paaaand'.  As lovely as she is I had to turn it off.

4 hours ago, choffer said:

Have you tried a plunger?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â