Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

24 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

People that book meetings for lunch time. They can see my calendar is packed, with a short 30 minute break most days so I can sort myself out a bit of lunch between meetings.

You need to put a fake lunch meeting in, problem solved 

• Like 2

Just now, KentVillan said:

You need to put a fake lunch meeting in, problem solved 

Much more satisfying using the 'decline' button. That way they know you read it and actively opted out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

People that book meetings for lunch time. They can see my calendar is packed, with a short 30 minute break most days so I can sort myself out a bit of lunch between meetings.

I have a colleague in the new team I’m in, he’s a cold caller. Does my **** head in. He calls really early too (before 8). 

The done thing now seems to be to drop a message asking if it’s convenient to call. Not this guy. He’s a pain in the arse. He’ll also try calling if he can see from Teams I’m already in a meeting. 

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I have a colleague in the new team I’m in, he’s a cold caller. Does my **** head in. He calls really early too (before 8). 

The done thing now seems to be to drop a message asking if it’s convenient to call. Not this guy. He’s a pain in the arse. He’ll also try calling if he can see from Teams I’m already in a meeting. 

But his stuff is obviously so much more important than what you're doing....

I know this is bad advice, but it's better to be difficult with people like this. They'll move onto someone more helpful then, and only bother them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

It's the principle though. It annoys the crap out of me.

My boss's boss once called a meeting for the three of us at 7.00 am. Her hero was Margaret Thatcher, and she prided herself on only taking three hours sleep at night. 

Just now, mjmooney said:

My boss's boss once called a meeting for the three of us at 7.00 am. Her hero was Margaret Thatcher, and she prided herself on only taking three hours sleep at night. 

I get some people are incredibly dedicated to their career, and it's all they have, but they shouldn't expect it from everyone. There's got to be a balance. And to be honest, I'm very much prejudging her on her choice of hero.

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I bet you and she got on like a house on fire.

8 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

I get some people are incredibly dedicated to their career, and it's all they have, but they shouldn't expect it from everyone. There's got to be a balance. And to be honest, I'm very much prejudging her on her choice of hero.

This became a real problem at our place pre-covid. A guy I knew fairly well ended up quitting because the site GM had put a meeting in on a Saturday afternoon! He'd been to it for weeks and then missed one one week and the GM gave him a massive bollocking for it. For missing one meeting. On a **** Saturday

However I think one of the silver linings of covid is this stuff is more relaxed now. Dunno why, just feels like people are more flexible

19 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

But his stuff is obviously so much more important than what you're doing....

I know this is bad advice, but it's better to be difficult with people like this. They'll move onto someone more helpful then, and only bother them.

I ignored it.

He sent me a message something like “lol do you not like early calls?”

I ignored that too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

This became a real problem at our place pre-covid. A guy I knew fairly well ended up quitting because the site GM had put a meeting in on a Saturday afternoon! He'd been to it for weeks and then missed one one week and the GM gave him a massive bollocking for it. For missing one meeting. On a **** Saturday

However I think one of the silver linings of covid is this stuff is more relaxed now. Dunno why, just feels like people are more flexible

Flexibility is a two way street. If you get it from your boss then I don't think it's unreasonable that your boss expects you to be a bit more flexible on occasion. That being said if you have to do things like book leave to go to medical appointments for example then I'd be inclined to work my hours and nothing more. I agree that covid has made things in the workplace more relaxed for a lot of people.

However for the chap you knew, if the GM had just expected people to attend on a Saturday then he's completely out of order. If he'd offered something in return and kind of apologized about dragging people in during their free time beforehand then I can understand him being upset.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Flexibility is a two way street. If you get it from your boss then I don't think it's unreasonable that your boss expects you to be a bit more flexible on occasion. That being said if you have to do things like book leave to go to medical appointments for example then I'd be inclined to work my hours and nothing more.

Yeah I completely subscribe to this and I don't understand why bosses treat their employees like children

55 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The real power play is to book a 7am meeting and then cancel it at 6.45, or turn up completely unprepared, make one derisive comment about the week's worth of work that has just been presented, and then saunter off.

Yes I am traumatised

Greatest Hits radio do a morning segment where people ring in for suggestions loosely based around a subject , the other day was golf , so suggestions were Norwegian Wood   ..that kinda thing 

Today apparently is National James Bond day (or something) , so people could text /phone on with suggestions , the most popular suggestion and the record they played  was "Private Investigator" by Dire Straits 

maybe its just me , but he's an intelligence officer for MI6 , maybe a Spy or secret service agent if you want give it other titles ..but private investigator , what are these people smoking  ??

yes he's fictional and it doesn't matter  , hence why its a perfect fit for this thread 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Chindie said:

I dropped the car off for a service earlier, and asked that they also look a sudden oil warning I've been getting. That was this morning. They didn't look busy.

My wallet is trembling. Baked beans might be the order of the month.

£150. Could have been worse. Was expecting worse.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I bet you and she got on like a house on fire.

Oh, you can imagine. She passed me in the corridor one day and said "Hello Mike, this project's going really well, isn't it?" I replied "Well, actually, no, there are some pretty major problems". You'd expect this to ring a few alarm bells, but she just scowled and walked away. 

Although in the 7.00 am meeting, the major strategic disagreement was between me and my immediate boss. She overruled his plan and went with mine. Which proved to be exactly the correct decision, but did nothing to improve relations between me and him. 

Ah, work, how I don't miss it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Not bad at all in the current climate. I had to pay £200 a few months ago to replace a small piece of rubber hose.

In fairness that £150 was for an inspection, oil change and a replacement switch. Not the heaviest work. And 2 months ago it needed a power steering hose replaced which cost £260. The cars 'worth' a grand... Sigh.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Genie said:

I ignored it.

He sent me a message something like “lol do you not like early calls?”

I ignored that too.

I hate him with every fiber of my being. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Chindie said:

£150. Could have been worse. Was expecting worse.

Not too bad at all. Mine was £108 for a plug and coil and 45 mins of labour.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â