Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

31 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Really? Mind. Blown. 

I don't dare try this in a shop, in case it doesn't work, and I look like a clearing in the woods. 

How do I specify what the default NFC app is? 

This is for Android. Go to settings, NFC, and you will see default app option.

But you may only have one anyway. (Google )

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

This is for Android. Go to settings, NFC, and you will see default app option.

But you may only have one anyway. (Google )

Hmm. It says Google Pay. Whether that automatically converts to the 'new' app (Google Wallet) is my only doubt. 

Screenshot_2022-09-03-20-44-20-64_8ecb18ff21726a42693957ff5a148085.jpg

3 hours ago, Mr_Dogg said:

You don't have to open the app, the default NFC payment app will be used. Just hold up your phone. (Unlocked)

Yeah, I usually do this, but I was in a shop that didn't accept my default (American express), and had no cash/physical cards on me. I'm still a bit irritated it's just been randomly renamed, and doesn't even have "Google" at the start of it's name so you've got no chance of finding it unless you follow their **** blog

35 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

a shop that didn't accept my default (American express)

Genuine question, why the f*** would Amex be your default card? The reason most places don't accept them is because their transaction charges are too high. Seeing more and more Sorry we don't accept Amex signs again. They brought the charges down at one point and everywhere took them, now they've pushed it up again and ....

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

Best reward card in the UK. 

Really? It’s the merchants that will be paying for that then. I got the option to automatically decline them and took it because the transaction charges were just silly.

15 hours ago, rjw63 said:

My wife retired from work mid July.

My mother in law timed her house-bound-illness-that-needs-constant-care to absolute perfection.

My missus hasn't stopped. Either once a day for five or six hours, or late at night (11pm) or like this morning, 4.50am.

Social services are slow to put it mildly, at least an ambulance turned up this time.

Nightmare.

And here we go again, less than 24 hours later. 2.30am and its another forty mile round trip, emergency services called and another night of no sleep. 

I shouldn't be pissed off but I am. 

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, rjw63 said:

And here we go again, less than 24 hours later. 2.30am and its another forty mile round trip, emergency services called and another night of no sleep. 

I shouldn't be pissed off but I am. 

I feel for you mate. I saw the same with my Dad and his parents. He was still working at the time (was in his mid 60s) and it was regular 2am trips out to their house to meet the paramedics because of a fall etc :(

• Thanks 1

Polish government steps up anti-German rhetoric ahead of re-election bid | Notes From Poland

Poland’s current government “does not fit into the German-Russian plans to rule over Europe”, declared Jarosław Kaczyński, chairman of the ruling Law and Justice (PiS) party, last month.

He warned that those plans are being supported by the domestic Polish opposition, who are “cynically counting on the fortunes they will earn by enslaving Poland”, making it “submissive to neighbouring powers”.

2 elections ago was the childless and refugees.

Last election was the gays.

Next election will be the Germans.

It's honestly tragic what's happening in one of the EU's biggest nations.

Edited by StefanAVFC

11 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Yeah, I usually do this, but I was in a shop that didn't accept my default (American express), and had no cash/physical cards on me. I'm still a bit irritated it's just been randomly renamed, and doesn't even have "Google" at the start of it's name so you've got no chance of finding it unless you follow their **** blog

There is a quick settings tile for it too.

image.png

10 hours ago, bickster said:

Really? It’s the merchants that will be paying for that then. I got the option to automatically decline them and took it because the transaction charges were just silly.

I think that they did - briefly - bring their charges largely in line and then we left the EU and they reverted. PayPal seem to be changing their terms to do the same shortly.

5 minutes ago, limpid said:

PayPal seem to be changing their terms to do the same shortly.

Do you mean PayPal increasing their transaction charges generally or PayPal increasing their charges to process Amex?

I think the latter has already happened. If it's the former, thats me finally going over to SumUp, it's already a percentage point more, which I was prepared to pay for instant access instead of three working days but a further increase will send me to SumUp and PayPAl will be an emergency use only backup device

11 hours ago, bickster said:

Genuine question, why the f*** would Amex be your default card? The reason most places don't accept them is because their transaction charges are too high. Seeing more and more Sorry we don't accept Amex signs again. They brought the charges down at one point and everywhere took them, now they've pushed it up again and ....

There's only one place I regularly shop that doesn't accept amex, and it being my default has earned me a couple of hundred quid so far this year. I haven't noticed many places dropping support for it in this just of the woods

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

Do you mean PayPal increasing their transaction charges generally or PayPal increasing their charges to process Amex?

I think the latter has already happened. If it's the former, thats me finally going over to SumUp, it's already a percentage point more, which I was prepared to pay for instant access instead of three working days but a further increase will send me to SumUp and PayPAl will be an emergency use only backup device

I'm guessing from the last few T&C changes, but I mean the former.

Last time I spent any time looking into this (couple of years ago), SumUp was cheaper. I guess that  also depends on whether you have already sunk the cost of your current device. I was trying to work out if I could use them for VillaTalk subscribers, but I couldn't see a way.

4 minutes ago, limpid said:

I'm guessing from the last few T&C changes, but I mean the former.

Last time I spent any time looking into this (couple of years ago), SumUp was cheaper. I guess that  also depends on whether you have already sunk the cost of your current device. I was trying to work out if I could use them for VillaTalk subscribers, but I couldn't see a way.

SumUp still is cheaper. 1.69% vs 2.75% (for PayPal Here) I don't see how that can increase. Not only that but PayPal bought iZettle and rebranded it Zettle, now that is 1.7% but again you face the three day wait for funds.

1 minute ago, bickster said:

SumUp still is cheaper. 1.69% vs 2.75% (for PayPal Here) I don't see how that can increase. Not only that but PayPal bought iZettle and rebranded it Zettle, now that is 1.7% but again you face the three day wait for funds.

So are PayPal factoring for the chargebacks for those three days? Doesn't seem worth it to me.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â