Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

41 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Superhero films. 

I mean they do nothing for me, but thats just personal taste. 

But Hollywood is just awash with them. They strangle budgets for other films. 

We've done this before but they've become so risk averse that hardly anything gets made anymore that isn't:

Another franchise continuation movie 

A remake of a previously successful movie

A movie about something that's already been a massive success (book or video game or real world event) 

There are SO few original films being made it's just sad.  Would eg Back To The Future or Beverly Hills Cop or Die Hard or any one of a dozen stone cold classic movies get made today? 

Does the world really need another **** Batman film? 

I know it seems like that, as when they're released they dominate cinemas, but the rest just isn't true imo. It constantly feels like there's loads of independent film festivals and events sprouting up here and there. Obviously the cinematic reach is limited, but streaming is giving them wider audiences more easily. 

Maybe Hollywood is getting safer with those types of movies, searching out for the next franchise / world they can invest in, I suppose

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I know it seems like that, as when they're released they dominate cinemas, but the rest just isn't true imo. It constantly feels like there's loads of independent film festivals and events sprouting up here and there. Obviously the cinematic reach is limited, but streaming is giving them wider audiences more easily. 

Maybe Hollywood is getting safer with those types of movies, searching out for the next franchise / world they can invest in, I suppose

Just before lockdown some newspaper did an analysis of the movies released Jan to to March in that year in UK cinemas and something like 80% of them fell into those categories.

It seems TV is the more creative genre to me.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Superhero films. 

I mean they do nothing for me, but thats just personal taste. 

But Hollywood is just awash with them. They strangle budgets for other films. 

We've done this before but they've become so risk averse that hardly anything gets made anymore that isn't:

Another franchise continuation movie 

A remake of a previously successful movie

A movie about something that's already been a massive success (book or video game or real world event) 

There are SO few original films being made it's just sad.  Would eg Back To The Future or Beverly Hills Cop or Die Hard or any one of a dozen stone cold classic movies get made today? 

Does the world really need another **** Batman film? 

I used to have this view, but the seemingly endless superhero movie conveyor belt is kind of white noise to me now. The marvel stuff, the ones I’ve seen they’re “fun”. Not necessarily something I want to see again and again, but I can see the appeal.

Christopher Nolan isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but I think most can agree he’s trying to do something different in mainstream cinema. So we have his Batman films, but we also have Memento, Inception and Interstellar. Essentially the success of his Batman films allows him to do the other, more artistic films.

We’re still seeing plenty of “proper” films like Nightcrawler, Ex-Machina, Get Out, The Lighthouse, Parasite, The Social Network, The Big Short, Spotlight, The Death of Stalin, Whiplash…the list is endless. 

Maybe not to you and I, but I think a lot of these will be considered to be classics in years to come. I suspect a few of them already are. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Genie said:

We used to occasionally go away in the Uk with the in-laws. They liked us to travel in convoy so we’d follow them in the car. The FIL speed would be all over the place for no apparent reason. Gradually speeding up 70, 75, 80, 85… then slowing all the way down to 65-60 for no apparent reason either.

I told them we’d just meet them there as it used to really annoy me.

People who do this drive me mad, especially when your continuously over taking them because they slow down every time they go past. I have to either drop right back or put my foot down if it happens a couple of times as it does rile me. I like to go in cruise control now and again but it makes it more noticeable.

5 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Nothing as bad...as ellipses...between each point...

Which makes...me hear each post...in the voice...of this guy...

spacer.png

Nah... for me it's... the kid in the... wheelchair in Malcolm... in the Middle 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 01/03/2022 at 23:33, HanoiVillan said:

When people call a moderately exciting game of top-flight football 'Barclays', especially if they twin it with some god-awful twee phrase 'that was a huge slice of pure Barclays' or whatever shite like that.

Kvpu.gif

• Like 3

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

They strangle budgets for other films. 

Do they? 

Or are they keeping the industry going? 

I think the quality of superhero films is actually pretty good in comparison to some other blockbusters too (transformers...) and blockbusters will always exist in one form or another

The diversity in general is good at the moment, especially with streaming services picking up more and more, somewhere between Disneys and Netflixs empires I think films are doing alright 

59 minutes ago, Meath_Villan said:

Fully grown "men" getting HD eyebrows

0e6_edit_37602529423427.jpg.f5d48120d161de005afb4a009c59885e.jpg

Didn't even know this was a thing. 

Guess it's better than shaving lines into them. Which I'm sad to say my mates and I decided to do when we were at Uni. We were so drunk I lost half my eyebrow and it took weeks to grow back. 

Edited by Rds1983

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

I have no idea what HD eyebrows are. Please don't explain it to me either. I'm happy not knowing

They’re kinda like SD eyebrows, but better. Of course the future is 4K eyebrows, guessing they tried VR eyebrows but they didn’t take off……

• Haha 2

I wouldn't worry Bicks, most eyebrows nowadays are at least HD ready and have been for years. Anyway, shouldn't we take this to the tech thread? 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Didn't even know this was a thing. 

Guess it's better than shaving lines into them. Which I'm sad to say my mates and I decided to do when we were at Uni. We were so drunk I lost half my eyebrow and it took weeks to grow back. 

Yeah that looks totally poncy, like Monkey Boy Foden.

Jason Momoa gets a pass though, I always wondered why someone like him would shave an eyebrow; turns out it's a scar from being glassed in a bar brawl.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Meath_Villan said:

Fully grown "men" getting HD eyebrows

0e6_edit_37602529423427.jpg.f5d48120d161de005afb4a009c59885e.jpg

do they cost 4k to have done?

Dammit - someone beat me to the 4k pun... clearly I browse messages badly 😬

Edited by theboyangel

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â