Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

On 18/01/2022 at 08:20, A'Villan said:

The bloke who works front of shop at my local tobacconist.

He goes out of his way to be rude and get a reaction out of his customers

Back in the old days, I sued to go into the local building society branch on a saturday morning, to get my money out for the week. There was a lady worked there at the counter who wouldn't speak to people if she could help it, I noticed after a few weeks of queuing. Every person would go up and say [e.g.] "Morning - Can I pay in this cheque/take out 50 pounds"? or whatever, and the woman would take the pass book and do the transaction, barely looking up or speaking.

So I made it my plan, when I got to the head of the queue to say nothing, to wait until she looked up and said something before I would speak. I knew she had to look up and speak first, to indicate she was ready in the eyes of any onlooker in the queue. So I always won my little game. She wasn't rude as such, but I don't think she liked people at all.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, blandy said:

Back in the old days, I sued to go into the local building society branch on a saturday morning, to get my money out for the week. There was a lady worked there at the counter who wouldn't speak to people if she could help it, I noticed after a few weeks of queuing. Every person would go up and say [e.g.] "Morning - Can I pay in this cheque/take out 50 pounds"? or whatever, and the woman would take the pass book and do the transaction, barely looking up or speaking.

So I made it my plan, when I got to the head of the queue to say nothing, to wait until she looked up and said something before I would speak. I knew she had to look up and speak first, to indicate she was ready in the eyes of any onlooker in the queue. So I always won my little game. She wasn't rude as such, but I don't think she liked people at all.

This has the soup Nazi written all over it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Bit extreme. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Genie said:

People sharing their Worldle grids on social media.

Nobody gives a shit mate.

I muted wordle on Twitter. Works a charm.

20 hours ago, Genie said:

People sharing their Worldle grids on social media.

Nobody gives a shit mate.

I bet you love the thread in VT games section then, it's full of em 😂

I only went there because I had no **** clue what wordle is. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I bet you love the thread in VT games section then, it's full of em 😂

I only went there because I had no **** clue what wordle is. 

I didn’t even know that thread existed, I very rarely venture into the games forum. 

*pops over for a look 👀 

9 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

They show profit,

Uber doesn't, apart from one quarter when they sold the self-driving division, it has lost money every single quarter other than that one. Not once have they shown an operating profit

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Genie said:

I sent my old phone to one of the phone recycling companies (like music magpie etc). It’s in excellent condition, no dents, scratches, cracked glass or anything like that. I was initially offered £180 to send it them.

They just came back to me to say they’ve checked it over and deemed it to be Grade C and will offer me a revised £105.

I had 2 options, accept it or reject/return it.

I click reject and get the message they will take another look and then come back to me.

I will insist on having it sent back it they try and offer me a penny under what they offered. 

Absolute crooks (avoid uberlink.co.uk)

They offered an improved £121 but I told them to stuff it and send me the handset back 

15 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Uber, Deliveroo, Just Eat, Getir. Have any of these companies turned any profit yet. They show profit, but is this just paying off borrowed money.

If your business plan is to maintain your debt by paying interest, then anything you earn over interest payments (and other costs) is profit. The debt is only relevant when it comes to selling the business and accounting for assets. The banks make money, the companies make money, the investors and shareholders of both make money.

Except for Uber.

It's a common business model and not just for dotcoms. Man Utd is run like this.

• Like 1

I have had to use google maps the last couple of days off my phone as the navigation in the car crashed and failed to function. I have to say it just seems so shite and out of date, compared to my Garmin based navigation in the car. The problem is it will always try and find the quickest route rather than the most convenient. I mean, as if I want to go down a tractor only lane to save 2 minutes, or go through a town centre to save a minute. Garmin is much smarter and will offer you the shit routes rather than take it you'll wanna save 2 minutes by going though the darkest depths of the Derbyshire Dales to get to Stockport 1 minute earlier.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I have had to use google maps the last couple of days off my phone as the navigation in the car crashed and failed to function. I have to say it just seems so shite and out of date, compared to my Garmin based navigation in the car. The problem is it will always try and find the quickest route rather than the most convenient. I mean, as if I want to go down a tractor only lane to save 2 minutes, or go through a town centre to save a minute. Garmin is much smarter and will offer you the shit routes rather than take it you'll wanna save 2 minutes by going though the darkest depths of the Derbyshire Dales to get to Stockport 1 minute earlier.

A lot of the automotive YouTubers I watch tend to use Waze. Its a free download and is owned by Google and no doubt uses Google's maps, but a lot of people say it's much better. 

Never used it myself though (or Google Maps). 

• Like 1

I'm one of those sad people that actually quite enjoys going for a mystery tour through back lanes etc :D I drove to Edinburgh once (from Portsmouth!) and I purposely diverted to go to the dambuster dams in the Peak District and then through some god awful track getting up to and through Buttertubs Pass in the Yorkshire Dales.  I had a farmer on his tractor waving fists into the air as I carefully tried to get past him ("what idiot would drive an Aygo up here?!"). 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, trekka said:

I'm one of those sad people that actually quite enjoys going for a mystery tour through back lanes etc :D I drove to Edinburgh once (from Portsmouth!) and I purposely diverted to go to the dambuster dams in the Peak District and then through some god awful track getting up to and through Buttertubs Pass in the Yorkshire Dales.  I had a farmer on his tractor waving fists into the air as I carefully tried to get past him ("what idiot would drive an Aygo up here?!"). 

I remember the days in my youth when we could afford to go driving, Weston, Newquay, Brighton in a weekend, fill the tank with £15-20.

On another note, I don't know why, but I hate the Dales and small villages, I think it's cause I'm a bit of a city boy. Went through the dales to Manchester once, the fog up there was terrible, couldn't see a thing, got to Manchester, the sun was shining. Think it scarred me for life, horrible place. 😂

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I remember the days in my youth when we could afford to go driving, Weston, Newquay, Brighton in a weekend, fill the tank with £15-20.

On another note, I don't know why, but I hate the Dales and small villages, I think it's cause I'm a bit of a city boy. Went through the dales to Manchester once, the fog up there was terrible, couldn't see a thing, got to Manchester, the sun was shining. Think it scarred me for life, horrible place. 😂

Ah, I'm assuming you went via Snake Pass to Glossop way (Derby Dales).  That place is always covered in low cloud! I'm the opposite to you I think - I bloody adore the Yorkshire Dales :D.  The place is pretty epic. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trekka said:

Ah, I'm assuming you went via Snake Pass to Glossop way (Derby Dales).  That place is always covered in low cloud! I'm the opposite to you I think - I bloody adore the Yorkshire Dales :D.  The place is pretty epic. 

Yeah I think that's it, through Hope Valley. Even when there is no fog it's just fields and hills, horrible. The only way I'll go back there is if I get a Lamborghini, roads are imense to be fair.

I did pass a pub up there, where you can sit and look into a deep valley, that was pretty cool.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Yeah I think that's it, through Hope Valley. Even when there is no fog it's just fields and hills, horrible. The only way I'll go back there is if I get a Lamborghini, roads are imense to be fair.

I did pass a pub up there, where you can sit and look into a deep valley, that was pretty cool.

I once stayed in a campsite in the hope valley.  It was the first time I took my folks up there - my old man and I woke up with icicles dangling from our noses as we fancied the tents.  We decided from thereon in that we should really sort out the motorhome.  Parts of the Derby Dales are lovely but it has nothing on the Yorkshire Dales :D.

1920px-Malham_Cove_Waterfall_03_resize.j

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, trekka said:

You are a man of good judgement. It's why I stayed in Leeds. The Dales, the North York Moors, the NE coast, the Peak District and the Cumbrian Lakes all within a short drive. Glorious. 

• Thanks 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â